Author Topic: OH: Whither Ohio Business routes (again)  (Read 2144 times)

Offline osu-lsu

• Last Login:Yesterday at 05:54:12 pm
OH: Whither Ohio Business routes (again)
« on: July 30, 2019, 10:45:45 pm »
Yesterday, while attempting to follow US 35, from I-71 to I-64, I took a brief detour to 'clinch' the *designated* (by us) Business route for US 35 in Jackson, Oh. I found only one Bus. US 35 sign, and that was on Bridge St, adjacent to a North Oh 93 sign assembly. There is no mention of Business US 35 along Broadway, between DT Jackson and US 35 (which is marked by us as part of said route), and the only reference to any business routes from US 35, is a generic 'Jackson Business Highway Route' sign, for those going east (south) bound on US 35.

So, is this enough to keep the route on the table? If so, I know Van Wert (Bus. US 224 & Bus US 30) & Delphos (Bus US 30) would like a piece of this action.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
Re: OH: Whither Ohio Business routes (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:11:38 am »
Re Jackson, I recall it never was especially well signed (typical for business routes in Ohio). So you're saying this sign is gone now? GMSV is old, but I remember seeing it within the past ~3 years. It wouldn't surprise me, since this one disappeared sometime between 2013 and 2018.

Re the others, I don't have time to investigate right now, but if you could show me specifically what you saw that makes you think they should be included, I'll address it when I get home in a couple weeks. Ditto for Upper Sandusky, which at one point had at least one Business 30 sign.
Clinched:

Offline osu-lsu

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:15:55 pm »
Re Jackson, I recall it never was especially well signed (typical for business routes in Ohio). So you're saying this sign is gone now? GMSV is old, but I remember seeing it within the past ~3 years. It wouldn't surprise me, since this one disappeared sometime between 2013 and 2018.

Re the others, I don't have time to investigate right now, but if you could show me specifically what you saw that makes you think they should be included, I'll address it when I get home in a couple weeks. Ditto for Upper Sandusky, which at one point had at least one Business 30 sign.

Both "green" US 35 signs are gone.
The only business US 35 sign I saw was this one:
https://goo.gl/maps/UFeyvaQgJsihSF8z9

As for others...
Business US 224, Van Wert (April this year)

Business US 30, Van Wert (April this year)

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 05:05:31 pm »
I detoured through Jackson on my way back from re-clinching US 35 and found three business route signs: the turn at Water St/Bridge St (both directions) and at the top of the ramp from US 35 East to Chillicothe St. So, not dead yet.

If the ones in Van Wert only have the one sign, I don't think it's enough to justify adding them at this point.
Clinched:

Offline osu-lsu

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 08:05:22 pm »
I detoured through Jackson on my way back from re-clinching US 35 and found three business route signs: the turn at Water St/Bridge St (both directions) and at the top of the ramp from US 35 East to Chillicothe St. So, not dead yet.

If the ones in Van Wert only have the one sign, I don't think it's enough to justify adding them at this point.

As for Van Wert, I haven't been back there in two years. When I get back there, I'll try to remember to re-investigate the various business routes.

Offline osu-lsu

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 07:22:40 pm »

As for Van Wert, I haven't been back there in two years. When I get back there, I'll try to remember to re-investigate the various business routes.

So, I ended up going through Van Wert today. The city does have multiple signs along Main St for Business Route US 30. Those signs are in both directions, but those signs don't extend past the city limits.
I did not see anything for 'Business US 224' beyond the one sign in downtown Van Wert. That route can be a moot point.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 08:00:32 pm »
Thanks for the reconnaissance. With this I can kind of piece together a route east of downtown (assuming the signs shown in old GMSV are in the same places today) but west of downtown it's impossible to finish it. I mean, obviously it was meant to follow the Lincoln Hwy, but how far before returning to the 30 bypass? Are there any historical photos (of additional business route signs, not US 30's actual former route through the city)?
Clinched:

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:12:13 am
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 08:04:43 pm »
Thanks for the reconnaissance. With this I can kind of piece together a route east of downtown (assuming the signs shown in old GMSV are in the same places today) but west of downtown it's impossible to finish it. I mean, obviously it was meant to follow the Lincoln Hwy, but how far before returning to the 30 bypass? Are there any historical photos (of additional business route signs, not US 30's actual former route through the city)?

You could end it at US 224 on the west end.  There are examples of business routes not making it back to its parent (see US 64 BUS (Wendell, NC)).

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 09:44:41 pm »
Clinched: