Author Topic: SD: US 212 Business (Belle Fourche)  (Read 3265 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
SD: US 212 Business (Belle Fourche)
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:17:45 pm »
I've been sitting on this for a while, but I'll throw it out here now.

In Belle Fourche, US 212 has a pretty well-signed business route (routing on OSM), but all the signs look like this:

This is city-maintained (like a lot of other business routes in the state), but they do a really good job signing it...
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
Re: SD: US 212 Business (Belle Fourche)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 12:56:20 pm »
To clarify (as OSM doesn't show it very well), the routing (from the east) is Old Highway 212, Elkhorn Street, 10th Street, State Street, and US 85 back to US 212.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:58:11 pm »
This popped up in the local paper today, so SDDOT does consider this semi-official.
http://www.sddot.com/news/Article.aspx?NewsId=20639

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:53:17 am »
@Highway63: What do you think about this?

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 11:29:04 pm »
There are no signs on US 212 or 85 regarding the route. The 212/85 intersection is devoid of Business 212 signs. The intersection of 85 and State Street has "To 212 ^" but no business route signed. Only if you get on the route do you know it exists - and then, only at the turns, and with non-standard signs. I have "OldUS212Bus" at the east end indicating that I perceived it to be decommissioned.

Therefore, I would consider it an unofficial and unsigned route. I would be willing to add a StateSt point on US 85.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 12:58:27 pm »
According to the statewide map viewer (Butte County doesn't have one :() (link) the official name of the road is Business 212. This is corroborated by the one business on the road (https://smartlic.com/ and scroll to the bottom to see the address). I would just get rid of the "Old" on the point name (maybe change to something like Bus212 just to make it obvious this isn't a real route).

I would be willing to add a StateSt point on US 85.

If you're going to add a point in Belle, I would recommend National St instead, as that is where most out-of-town traffic would turn if they wanted to turn (it goes to the high school, community center/indoor swimming pool, and continues out of Belle both to the east and the west). I've turned from 85 onto State approximately once, while I can't count the number of times I've turned onto National.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:44 am »
I would be willing to add a StateSt point on US 85.

If you're going to add a point in Belle, I would recommend National St instead, as that is where most out-of-town traffic would turn if they wanted to turn (it goes to the high school, community center/indoor swimming pool, and continues out of Belle both to the east and the west). I've turned from 85 onto State approximately once, while I can't count the number of times I've turned onto National.

Are you still willing to add any wp?

Should we leave the thread open for the original issue?

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 03:31:48 pm »
I drove this myself this month. While there is a "Business 212" well signed, none of the shields are accurate, and there is no business route signage on 212 or 85. Therefore, I do not believe this should be added. I finally added a StaSt AND NatSt point to US 85, though.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 08:24:22 pm »
Sorry to dig this up again, but I just went to Newell today, and there was signage on US 212 EB for "Business 212". It was a little green sign right before the turn lane, which said US 212 to US 85 bear right and Business 212 stay straight (didn't get a picture). Was that there back in October? It looked pretty new to me, but I haven't been on that stretch of 212 in over 5 years.