Author Topic: CA: New Gerald Desmond Bridge expected to open next month  (Read 1355 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
CA: New Gerald Desmond Bridge expected to open next month
« on: September 26, 2020, 10:25:49 pm »
The planned opening date for the new Gerald Desmond Bridge, across a key entrance to Long Beach harbor, is Monday, October 5. There are detailed plans for temporary closures of some connecting roads ahead of the bridge opening, so this opening date is unlikely to change much.

https://mailchi.mp/polb/gdbrp2019-218933

The existing, seriously substandard bridge is not part of I-710, or even the state highway system. But the new bridge, when it opens or soon thereafter, seems likely to be added to I-710, and Caltrans has already adopted it as part of route 710 (Interstate designation and signage is up to FHWA). We'll find out soon enough.

Aside from changes to the I-710 route file or a new CA 710 file (assuming route signage on the new bridge or approach roads), this may require tweaks to the CA 47 file in the preview usaca system. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:52:40 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
Re: CA: New Gerald Desmond Bridge expected to open next month
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 10:17:53 pm »
The new bridge opened yesterday. I'm reviewing videos to nail down some details before I update route files.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
Re: CA: New Gerald Desmond Bridge expected to open next month
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 06:58:23 pm »
I've drafted route file edits, to reflect changes from the Gerald Desmond bridge replacement. This includes extending I-710 west of the bridge to CA 47. The old bridge was locally-maintained and not part of the state highway system, but Caltrans added the new bridge to the system and to route 710 shortly before it was opened to traffic on October 5.

I've reviewed multiple videos of the new bridge and its approaches. All the 710 route signage in both directions is as Interstate 710, rather than CA 710. A little skimpier than I'd prefer, but good enough.

I e-mailed CalTrans last weekend seeking confirmation that the new bridge and its approaches are part of the Interstate system, as part of Interstate 710. No response yet, though I could try FHWA. I don't know whether there is a request for AASHTO approval included in the applications for the meeting later this month (Caltrans, like some other state DOTs, is not real consistent about getting AASHTO approval for route changes). We could be jumping the gun a bit on the addition to the Interstate system, though I doubt it.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4243 (includes some other CA changes)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:49:22 pm by oscar »