Author Topic: Help Getting Started  (Read 5523 times)

Offline tarheel61581

• Last Login:September 28, 2017, 07:33:22 pm
Help Getting Started
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »
Help...trying to get started on this site; finally got to where I can log into forum, trying to submit my first list of highways traveled.....See that submissions must be made in .list format in plain text file.....Can I use TextEdit on a Mac?  On my desktop the file ends in .list but when I attach it ends in .list.rtf...please advise
Grace and peace to you from God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
Re: Help Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 02:59:10 pm »
Welcome aboard! 

List files definitely must be plain text.  On the Mac, TextEdit will work, but be sure to save as plain text.  RTF won't work.  Ideally it will have a .list extension but not a .txt following, but if it does have a .txt, it's not hard for me to strip that off when I put it on site.  I'd say I have to do that for about 1/3 of the emailed submissions I get.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:16:02 pm »
I know on Notepad in Windows, you can set the file type to be "all files" and then save it in whatever file format you want. I'm sure there's a way to do this on a Mac, but I don't use one, so I don't know how. But anyway, welcome to Travel Mapping!

Offline tarheel61581

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:20:32 pm »
Thanks I sent one already to the travelmap email address but got an autoreply about not being a registered member yet

Offline tarheel61581

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:23:40 pm »
Also, after further review, my computer will not let me save as "Plain Text"....only choices are rtf, doc, docs, html, xml

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:26:31 pm »
Thanks I sent one already to the travelmap email address but got an autoreply about not being a registered member yet

I just approved you for that message (and all subsequent) and I have received it.  Previously unknown addresses go into moderation to cut back on junk email.  Watch for my email reply with a plain text version you can work from going forward.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »
A few things about your initial .list file that I'll mention here instead of in a direct email in case they'll be useful to other new users going forward.

- Any lines in your file that aren't meant to be clinched highway segment entries will generate error messages in your log file (which you will be able to see on site once your first .list is processed this afternoon).  They do no harm otherwise, so you're welcome to leave those in if the log messages don't bother you.

- All lines intended to match highway segments should have exactly 4 fields, separated by spaces.  Many of yours are good, like:

Code: [Select]
NC I-95 1 66
However, for some routes, you will need to look up the correct abbrevations (we call them the "list names").  So your line:

NC I-74 (Mount Airy) 1 10
Would be just

NC I-74 1 10
since that segment is considered the primary I-74 segment by TM. 

Whereas your line:

NC I-74 (Pembroke) 7 9
would be

NC I-74Pem 7 9
The correct "list name" codes can be found on each highway's entry in the TM Highway Browser.  Your business routes and future interstates will need similar fixes.

- Also for many (all?) of your entries, you have invalid labels.  The labels for the interstates are exit numbers.  You can find the actual labels we use also on the highway browser for each route.  You can get to the Highway Browser from any page on the main site through the "Highway Browser" link at the top and then going to the system then the highway.

I'll include the file you sent (converted to plain text) in the next site update, so you'll have an entry and you can start to see your log files.  I run site updates almost every day, so you're welcome to send in updates any time.

- If you want to see lots of examples of list files, you can see everyone's in our GitHub repository:

https://github.com/TravelMapping/UserData/tree/master/list_files

Hope this helps.  You'll get the hang of it soon enough I'm sure.

Offline tarheel61581

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:47:42 pm »
Another Question....when looking at the Highway Browser, and clicking on the green circles, I see two numbers:  The larger number at the top of of the box, then below that, a different Waypoint number.....Which number should I use when typing up my .list files?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 09:16:55 pm »
Another Question....when looking at the Highway Browser, and clicking on the green circles, I see two numbers:  The larger number at the top of of the box, then below that, a different Waypoint number.....Which number should I use when typing up my .list files?

You want the big one at the top.  The waypoint numbers aren't used for anything in the Travel Mapping part of this project.  For interstates, those are usually (exit) numbers but you'll see text there for most other highways.   That's what to put in your list file.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 02:56:20 am »
- Any lines in your file that aren't meant to be clinched highway segment entries will generate error messages in your log file (which you will be able to see on site once your first .list is processed this afternoon).  They do no harm otherwise, so you're welcome to leave those in if the log messages don't bother you.

It's possible to enter comments which are ignored for data processing and error output. Commented lines begin with #:

# CALIFORNIA
#Interstate highways

The link to the log file can be found on your user stats page: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=tarheel61581.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:41:14 pm by michih »