Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 226565 times)

Offline Eth

• Last Login:March 04, 2024, 01:37:20 pm
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2018, 10:53:53 am »
This was a couple weeks ago, but my work on clinching the state highway system in metro Atlanta continued with a short ~2 hour run up to Marietta that gave me a new clinch of GA 139 and some mileage on GA 5, which I now have uninterrupted from Douglasville to Blue Ridge. Not too much more mileage left to finish Cobb County, but a lot of it is in the form of annoying little short segments in Marietta.

Thinking about possibly heading down to Florida again later this month and maybe looking at picking up I-75 south of the Turnpike, which I don't have yet.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:08:09 pm
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2018, 08:51:10 pm »
If my calculations are correct....after a marathon 16-hour trip today, I've fully completed New Hamsphire.  Beat DTP to the punch (unless he snuck in a list update in the past day-and-a-half).

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:00:41 pm
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2018, 09:01:02 pm »
If my calculations are correct....after a marathon 16-hour trip today, I've fully completed New Hamsphire.  Beat DTP to the punch (unless he snuck in a list update in the past day-and-a-half).

Looking at your current NH stats, I see you would have needed to spend some time criss-crossing southern NH.  I'm curious how you figured out a reasonably efficient way to hit those missing segments and what route that ended up being.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:08:09 pm
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2018, 09:33:30 pm »
To (over)simplify, down the 89 corridor, then east of Manchester, then down 28A/128, back up to Windham, then Salem-Lowell MA-Nashua-Manchester-Derry-Winfield-Nashua, then everything west of Nashua in two loops with the inner and outer loops intersecting in Francestown and ~New Ipswich.  The "outer loop" also netted me the rest of MA 13.  Returned back to Nashua and finished off 101A and 122 in Amherst.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2018, 12:17:24 am »
Good show old chap!
Maybe one of these days I'll finish off Cumberland or York county...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:00:41 pm
« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2018, 07:40:51 am »
Congrats on being the first to get there for NH.  I am running an extra morning site update now, so you should see your 100% (or be able to fix any errors) in a bit.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:32:22 pm
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2018, 05:47:18 pm »
Got back Wednesday night from a 11-day 10,000 mile journey. Highlights include getting stuck in mud in Kansas for 5 hours, clinching 5 mainline interstates and 4 US highways (briefly putting me ahead of Oscar in interstate mileage :) ), and lots of exploration (mainly border crossings) related to a political geography class that starts next week. Just over half the mileage was new.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:49:44 pm by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:38:46 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2018, 12:36:38 am »
I'm on the road in Alberta, heading north (way north, as in Canada's Arctic coast). But before I crossed into Canada from Montana, I clinched four additional US routes: US 16, US 87 including the broken segments near Sheridan WY, US 287, and US 385. On my way back home, I plan to re-clinch the Trans-Canada Highway system (there was a de-clinching reroute of TCH 16 east of Saskatoon), and probably also take care of US 10.

On my way out, I followed Jim's suggestion to take US 34 across Iowa, as an alternative to I-80. By now, that part of I-80 bores me to tears, so US 34 was a good change-of-pace option.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 02:35:49 pm
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2018, 03:23:09 am »
Borders only exist in people's mind!

I don't care much about region/state borders but I orientate myself with motorways on maps. I have finally clinched my first "motorway regions" :) It's the region where I live between German A3, A7, A66 and A45. It has a perimeter of 285km. and consists of routes from deua, eure, deub, deubwl, deubyl and deuhel systems.

Unfortunately, we don't have stats for it ;) I need to select three "traditional" regions to show it on a map. You can see the next four "regions" to be clinched just south of the first region. They are limited by A3, A5, A7 and A8 with a total perimeter of 580km. They are split into four "regions" by A6 and A81 :)

I have almost re-clinched deua being at 99.92% now. 6mi of A33 are missing but the neighboring section is announced to be opened later this year and another Autobahn section will be opened within the next 2-3 weeks.

Next mission scheduled for September: clinching auta and maybe svnh. I wanna get more mileage in AUT, SVN and visit SVK, HRV and BIH for the first time.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:32:22 pm
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2018, 09:49:15 pm »
School starts tomorrow, so I spent today returning from Illinois via all the segments of Historic US 66 in the state I hadn't claimed yet, including the pedestrian-only Chain of Rocks Bridge segment. Have to say the bridge was somewhat of a disappointment, being barely signed, and not featuring much in the way of Route 66-themed displays so common along the rest of the route. Or even any interesting graffiti. As far as I could tell, the state line was not marked, so I went all the way to the Missouri end and turned back. Otherwise the route was signed well (even in Chicago, surprisingly) and interesting. Lots of the small towns have invested heavily in their connection to the historic road.

Illinois is finally 100%.
Clinched:

Offline Eth

• Last Login:March 04, 2024, 01:37:20 pm
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2018, 07:26:05 am »
Thinking about possibly heading down to Florida again later this month and maybe looking at picking up I-75 south of the Turnpike, which I don't have yet.

I indeed did go back to south Florida this week, though I ended up opting to fly into FLL instead of driving. Did still pick up just under 100 new miles (active+preview), including a full clinch in both directions of I-595, which I hadn't driven at all before; the very end of I-195 past FL 907 that I forgot last time; more of US 1, including filling in a couple gaps I previously had; clinches of FL 856 and the eastern segment of 842; and some mileage on several other state roads, including most of 826.

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »
My recently completed trip from northern VA to western PA and then to eastern PA involved a few new segments of routes: I-376, US11, US15, US220, US224, US322, US422, MD144, PA18, PA68, PA144, PA150, PA208, PA258, and PA551.

More trips will be happening in the very near future that I expect to cover new segments in both PA and MD.

Offline ntallyn

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:16:50 pm
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2018, 07:04:25 pm »
Clinched US 36 in CO and CO157 over the holiday weekend. Also added a few miles on CO 66 and CO 119.

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:March 17, 2024, 04:04:24 pm
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2018, 10:52:32 pm »
Did I not say that I have Wisconsin's numbered routes 100% completed?
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:38:46 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2018, 07:04:37 pm »
I just returned from a road trip of about four weeks and 10,000 miles to western Canada. This included a clinch of the new NT 10 to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic coast, which re-clinches for me the numbered Northwest Territories highway system. (The windchills in Tuk were subfreezing the day I visited, so neither I nor any of the other tourists on the Arctic beachfront went into the water.) But 14km of new all-season highway is being built in Norman Wells (I spent two nights there, and checked out one end of the construction site), which at some point might be added to NT 1, so the NT highway system is still a bit of a moving target.

I re-clinched the TCH system, traveling a newly-relocated segment east of Saskatoon. I also now have everything in TM for British Columbia north of TCH 16, and clinched some significant provincial routes (AB 58, SK 5, MB 83).

I tried to complete my coverage of U.S. 10, including a trip across Lake Michigan on the S.S. Badger auto ferry to get from the Wisconsin to Michigan segments. But I'm still missing a short segment in Wisconsin near Appleton, which was closed for reconstruction. That's happened to me a few other times this year (U.S. 80 in Louisiana, U.S. 138 in Colorado), adding to my list of not-quite-clinched U.S. routes.

While I didn't go out of my way to re-clinch counties, since my July 2016 completion of Canada's counties I've revisited more than a quarter of those counties, including all five in the Northwest Territories on this trip (plus its sixth census division, which has a native regional government based in Behchokǫ̀, and may someday become a new NT county equivalent). I'm still going back through my records to compile the number of U.S. counties revisited since I completed the U.S. in July 2010. But my incomplete count so far is over 1000 (including many on this trip), almost one-third of the total.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:40:48 pm by oscar »