Author Topic: usaas: American Samoa Territorial Highways  (Read 18670 times)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:32:16 am
usaas: American Samoa Territorial Highways
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:36:16 pm »
Any comments on this devel status system?

http://tm.teresco.org/devel/hb.php?sys=usaas

From the little GMSV that exists, it seems that signage is patchy/seemingly non-existent for some routes, and excellent for others. Sources are slim (I'd love a better one) and the routes are off OSM tagging and a little bit of seeing signs. Leading zeros are signed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:20:17 am by michih »

Offline dharwood

• Last Login:June 05, 2022, 12:41:54 pm
Re: usaas: American Samoa Territorial Highways
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 06:11:00 pm »
I recently had the opportunity to spend a day in American Samoa and saw may of the roads on the western end of the island. My comments and suggestions follow.

The intersection of routes AS014 and AS016 currently appears to be at the wrong location (one block too far north). It is currently at -14.323665, -170.722260. The correct location of this intersection is the roundabout at -14.324867, long -170.721291.

Route AS014 really needs a shaping point at -14.330571,-170.715096.

On Route AS001, I suggest the inclusion of a waypoint in Fagatogo. Fagatogo is an important commericial and port area for the island a as whole where many trips begin and end. The location I suggest for this waypoint is -14.278377,-170.688548 (on a corner by the post office). I don't have an intersecting street name for that location. I suggest that the waypoint could be called "Faga".

American Samoa is a very beautiful place. I wish I'd had time to see the rest of the island.

Offline dharwood

• Last Login:June 05, 2022, 12:41:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »
Please see message on American Samoa posted as a new topic.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:38:45 pm »
dhardwood:  Rather than have a separate thread, I merged your comments into the already-existing American Samoa thread.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:32:16 am
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 09:11:00 am »
I've dealt with dharwood's comments.

I still need a better source than OSM for where routes run, but I guess I could put the system at preview as I don't think there's an actual source on the internet.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:30:02 am »
I guess there are not objections to putting the system to preview.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 05:49:06 pm »
I guess that usaas is still not yet ready for review - no updated GSV since system was drafted.

The little island territories tend not to be well-documented. They're not nearly as organized as actual states in general, and no one local uses route numbers ever so they're frequently an afterthought.

I cleaned usavi up a bunch based on my own field observations (and I have to hand it to my wife for tolerating spending the better part of a day during our honeymoon clinching every route on St. Thomas that was physically passable at the time), but there is still no official primary source available online for where routes do or don't go. The system was activated before I went there purely based on what OSM shows combined with GMSV imagery.

I don't think we're going to get much better than where we're at for usaas unless someone with a lot of time and money on their hands wants to physically go there and field check everything.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 11:34:24 am »
From what little of AS1 GSMV I've dug, I saw no signage...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:43:37 am
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 11:51:23 am »

Oh, it exists, there just isn't much of it.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:57:37 am
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 11:58:06 am »

Oh, it exists, there just isn't much of it.
Nice link, but not relevant :D

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 02:46:20 pm »
Dunno if this was the intended link but, via an AARoads forum post from 2013 that links to someone's Flickr page:

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:June 30, 2023, 02:59:08 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 12:27:26 am »
Been doing some searching to find an additional source of some kind.

I have located a GIS shapefile where numbered roads can be identified, the problem is the file is old (created in 2003 per file metadata) and only has polylines for numbered roads on the east side of Tutuila. Aunu'u and Manu'a road shapefiles don't have a highway number attribute. The Tau roads shapefile does have a highway number attribute but they are all unnumbered and thus all zeros.

http://dusk.geo.orst.edu/djl/samoa/ Look for Roads, Tutuila, east in the infrastructure category.

A more current version appears to be at https://catalog.data.gov/dataset/roads-american-samoa and then going to the GeoExplorer and adding the roads shapefile as an overlay layer. It has the roads (including driveways and parking lots) for all the islands in one file however, there is no highway number attribute to isolate them.

The dataset is licensed under Creative Commons with Attribution.

The Commerce Department of AS appeared to be a promising GIS source but their GIS web domain doesn't appear to be working anymore.