Author Topic: Australia  (Read 10123 times)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:34:49 am
Re: Australia
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2019, 04:41:11 am »
I probably won't be able to look into NT until January. There's Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania that could still be reviewed in the meantime without this issue needing to be dealt with (if you have time).

I've fixed the Victoria issue that yakra raised by relabeling the A10 points with directional suffixes.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:34:49 am
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2020, 08:07:54 am »
Here's what I've found for the various routes that are labeled Nxx or NTxx within the HB:
- N1 -> part of A1
Where?

I've been unable to find any A1 signs on it. Apparently it's meant to become B1 and C1. Leaving as N1 for now.
- NT21 -> A21 at south end, B21 at north end
There's one A21 sign, with everything else being either NH21 (green+gold shields), NT21 (blue+white shields) or B21 - calling it B21, which is what it seems to have been allocated.

It really doesn't help that NT is doing a rolling replacement of signs (so only when they are replaced), meaning slow implementation of the new system. This is avoided by any route being seen to have an alphanumeric sign gets an alphanumeric number. However it does mean that on the ground info is often unhelpful - which when coupled to being really remote (2 urban areas of any notable size - Darwin being 150k and Alice Springs 25k and the other 75k being spread out over the rest of this Alaska-sized area) means that there's little local knowledge, few trip photos and GSV is justifiably lazy at covering it frequently and when stuff like the future C1 is an unpaved road in the middle of nowhere, comprehensively is a tall ask!

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 06:13:30 pm
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2020, 08:19:15 pm »
Here's what I've found for the various routes that are labeled Nxx or NTxx within the HB:
- N1 -> part of A1
Where?

I've been unable to find any A1 signs on it. Apparently it's meant to become B1 and C1. Leaving as N1 for now.

At the junction with 87, this appears to say A1 pointing east.

Of course this could easily be a similar situation as with 21 - likely just the government failing to be consistent with what's A vs. B vs. C. I get the sense that numerical route designations in NT are rather an afterthought. The government's own website makes no mention of route numbers at all and refers to roads strictly by name.

I'm fine with leaving this as N1 until further info is available. That said I will also note that I am unable to locate a primary source for what the road is "meant to become" - I can only find a couple hobby sites from Australian roadgeeks discussing the alphanumeric system for NT and neither of them has any citations.