Author Topic: usaush (United States Historic US Routes)  (Read 16267 times)

Offline CharlotteAllisonCDTG

• Last Login:Yesterday at 11:54:10 pm
  • Transgender Lesbian and Traveler
    • My Wikipedia User Page
Re: usaush (United States Historic US Routes)
« Reply #120 on: Yesterday at 09:45:54 am »
I still didn't see one.
Completely clinched:  I-24, I-35W (MN), I-97, I-124, I-126, I-155 (MO-TN), I-190 (SD), I-195 (MD), I-240 (NC), I-295 (FL), I-375 (MI), I-516, I-520, I-526, I-564, I-585, I-640, I-675 (GA), I-895A, US 178, US 276

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:21:39 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #121 on: Yesterday at 10:36:38 am »
The historic route intersection with Harbor Drive is also where ramps to and from SB I-5 meet Harbor Drive.

I think the intersection being part of the I-5(54C) interchange, it's appropriate to include points for both I-5(54C) to reflect the tie-in to I-5, and Harbor Drive (the latter point helps show the historic route as parallel to I-5 on the old US 101 bridge over the San Luis Rey River).

I'm not sure how to fix the I-5(54A) point on the historic route. CA 76 appears to end at I-5, with the connector to the Coast Hwy. not officially part of the state highway (I can check my paper Caltrans logbooks, once I get back home, to confirm). Maybe move the point to the Coast Hwy./Mission Expy, intersection, and rename it MisExpy?

As someone who grew up in Oceanside, extending the historic route over the old San Luis River bridge looks right to me.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:40:35 am by oscar »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:45:30 pm
« Reply #122 on: Yesterday at 11:05:47 am »
I think the intersection being part of the I-5(54C) interchange, it's appropriate to include points for both I-5(54C) to reflect the tie-in to I-5, and Harbor Drive (the latter point helps show the historic route as parallel to I-5 on the old US 101 bridge over the San Luis Rey River).
Since it appears to begin where the ramps intersect Harbor Dr, I think one point at I-5(54C) would be good enough, although a shaping point on the bridge could make it easier to see if necessary, depending on what you do with the I-5(54A) point.

I'm not sure how to fix the I-5(54A) point on the historic route. CA 76 appears to end at I-5, with the connector to the Coast Hwy. not officially part of the state highway (I can check my paper Caltrans logbooks, once I get back home, to confirm). Maybe move the point to the Coast Hwy./Mission Expy, intersection, and rename it MisExpy?
That's how I would handle it, although this sign and this sign make it look like it's worth investigating the true end of CA 76.
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #123 on: Today at 02:04:25 pm »
^ I'm at home (briefly), was able to check out Caltrans' old paper logs as well as the more current online Postmile Query Tool. Both put CA 76's west end at I-5 rather than Coast Hwy (US 101 Historic), with CA 76's postmile 0.0 in the I-5 median. So I'm leaving CA 76 as is in the Highway Browser, even with the otherwise convincing signage shown in your GMSV links.

I think a labeled waypoint at the Coast Hwy./Harbor Dr. intersection (HarbDr_W, since there's an intersection with another Harbor Dr. in San Diego) best reflects the end of signage for the historic route, and the approximate north end of the old pavement (obliterated by the new I-5, until it resumes within the Marine Corps base). That also more clearly shows the historic route as separate from the parallel I-5, even with the moved and renamed I-5(54A) point on the south side of the river.

No signage on Harbor Dr. between Coast Hwy. and I-5, so I'm not as sure about including the I-5(54C) point as the historic route's north end just to maintain a graph connection with I-5 - @si404, any thoughts on that, as (I assume) the original drafter of the route file?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:22:59 pm
« Reply #124 on: Today at 02:22:59 pm »
I'd suggest one point per interchange means that the Coast Hwy / Harbor Dr intersection is part of the I-5 interchange. The intersection is, after all, a crossroads with the southbound carriageway's ramps opposite Coast Hwy.

Moving the point with not-CA76 should make it separate enough from I-5.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #125 on: Today at 03:31:59 pm »
I'd suggest one point per interchange means that the Coast Hwy / Harbor Dr intersection is part of the I-5 interchange. The intersection is, after all, a crossroads with the southbound carriageway's ramps opposite Coast Hwy.

Moving the point with not-CA76 should make it separate enough from I-5.

Gotcha. I-5(54C), and I-5(54A) => MisExpy (relocated to Coast Hwy.), it is.

I can implement those changes later this weekend, before I disappear for a week camping in western Massachusetts.