Author Topic: Canada and USA state/province/territorial highways master thread  (Read 9147 times)

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:32:54 am
Re: Canada and USA state/province/territorial highways master thread
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 03:47:20 pm »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:57:50 pm
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2017, 02:49:57 pm »
Perhaps a more relevant question might be: are the "Winnipeg City Routes" (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) (canmbw) actually maintained by the province, or by the city? I don't know, but perhaps someone on the forum does, and the answer could be relevant here.
Maintained by the city I believe.
The Winnipeg Routes are a unique case, a one-off; they're the only such numbered/signed city system in Manitoba; it's highly unlikely that there will ever be another in the future. As such, there won't be any confusion with any other potential city systems, or a need the differentiate multiple such systems within Manitoba.
Some quotes from the canbmw thread:
Jim: "These seem to be an unusual case where they are well-signed and seem to take the place, within the Perimeter Highway, of what might normally be expected to be part of the provincial system."
mapcat: "I agree that they're a special case, and not analogous to USA county routes, or other smaller district systems we don't include."
I agree with this assessment. (Of course, having drafted the system. :) ) I'll note that not only are many of them extensions of canmb/canmbs routes from outside the Perimeter Highway, but many are themselves former Provincial highway alignments.
The canmbw thread blew up a bit too fast, and I've just left it alone for a while, but some day I'd like to revisit it, hash out a few of the topics therein as needed (maybe even with a topic split), and move canmbw toward activation again. But it's a low priority right now.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:20:42 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2017, 06:26:51 am »
With usaak nearing activation, and usaca also well along, I'd like to lay claim to cansk.

See the separate thread I've created, with more details and notes (including some previously in this post).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:58:26 pm by oscar »

Offline Wadsteckel

• Last Login:August 12, 2018, 12:24:35 pm
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2018, 10:56:28 am »
Does anyone have any plans to start work on the state highways for Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and/or Louisiana?  I would like to help, but my career change from IT support to OTR truck driver has me more in line with driving these roads instead of building the database for them.  :-/

Regards,
-Ed S

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:28:13 pm
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2018, 12:38:06 pm »
Froggie is working on usams and planning to work on usaal. I'm working on usaar. The person who started usala has been quiet since the move from CHM to TM, and so it's unclear what's happening with that set. Someone else will probably pick it up eventually.

Your assistance identifying errors and omissions in any of the systems in preview is always welcome.
Clinched:

Offline Wadsteckel

• Last Login:August 12, 2018, 12:24:35 pm
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2018, 03:30:59 pm »
Thanks, Mapcat. I'll keep trying to check in here and post my two cents, but I've seen most times that what we may see on the road isn't always up to date with what the state says is official. 

-Ed S