Author Topic: usanyp: New York Parkways  (Read 10865 times)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:44:42 pm
Re: usanyp: New York Parkways
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2019, 02:30:06 pm »
A bit esoteric, but...
I want to be absolutely sure the reference number is gone, and we don't have another bikes-only situation like MI185

M-185 is signed though. West River Parkway is not.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:29:13 pm
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2019, 03:15:07 pm »
On the flipside, parkways by their nature play by different rules; they don't all have route shields in the traditional sense.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:57:48 pm by yakra »

Offline neroute2

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:44:31 pm
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2019, 03:19:23 pm »
On the flipside, parkways by their nature play by different rules; they don't have route shields in the traditional sense.
Eh? The majority of parkways do have shields.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:29:13 pm
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2019, 04:58:06 pm »
Edited post.
I'll rethink my criteria for inclusion, and consider just including routes with traditional shields.
Not promising any particular conclusion, though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:03:34 pm by yakra »

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:50:25 pm
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:52 pm »
Eh? The majority of parkways do have shields.

As one of the more knowledgeable people in the community regarding NY roads, I should probably weigh in here. There are two distinctive features of a New York parkway: park-like features and a ban on trucks/buses/commercial vehicles (excluding Nassau/Suffolk south of NY 27). The NYSDOT "parkway list" is simply a listing of reference routes ending in 7, 8, or 9, which are assigned to "parkways". The majority of these are major routes worthy of inclusion. The problem is that a few of these are normal surface streets that just happen to have a reference route number because of how their construction was funded.

Any parkway worth including in the system has a shield. As far as what isn't signed with a shield, we have:

Bay Parkway (LI)
Cross Bay Parkway (Queens)
Ocean Parkway (Brooklyn)
Shore Front Parkway (Queens)
South Parkway (Grand Island)
West River Parkway (Grand Island)

Each of these is signed as a normal surface street. Cross Bay and Ocean Parkways are bus routes. Under the criteria for inclusion in state route systems, these would NOT meet the established TM criteria, as there is not a standalone/BGS shield with the name - they are signed as every other street would be signed. These aren't like "named freeways", because none of these are limited access and the significant majority of parkways are signed with shields. IMO, if we start including these parkways, we need to include routes like NJ 59 that are only signed with blades and routes like NJ 167 that are only signed with enhanced mile markers, because that's the level by which the six parkways listed above are signed.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:December 10, 2019, 09:49:48 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2019, 11:17:39 pm »
I don't think the Pelham Parkway is signed with a shield either.  At the very least, it's not on this list.  Nor is Prospect Mountain.

The spurs are another interesting issue - while the Niagara Scenic Parkway spur is pretty much a part of the parkway, the Lake Ontario State Parkway spur is functionally a connector road between the parkway, NY 18, and the park, no different from other connector reference routes like I-88 exit 24 or I-87 exit 33.  Neither one of those is signed with the shield and a spur banner either - the Niagara Scenic Parkway spur is signed as either "TO Niagara Scenic Parkway" or "Fort Niagara State Park" depending on direction, and the Lake Ontario State Parkway spur is signed as "TO Lake Ontario State Parkway", "Lakeside Beach State Park", and "TO NY 18".

Regarding reference route status, one could question why they were assigned parkway series reference route numbers if they weren't intended to be part of a parkway system rather than as a regular surface street.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.