Author Topic: Scrollable Mapview on tmtest  (Read 10997 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
Re: Scrollable Mapview on tmtest
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2020, 04:26:35 pm »
Does anyone else want routes 100% clinched being indicated with a different backcolor similar to how traveled segments on the HB route table are indicated?
https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/440

(or a filter to "remove" all routes 100% clinched to ease seeing untraveled segments for planning trips?)

I would support both.

I like the idea of getting that information displayed, but is the Scrollable Mapview the best place for it?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2020, 04:38:33 pm »
Does anyone else want routes 100% clinched being indicated with a different backcolor similar to how traveled segments on the HB route table are indicated?
I quite liked the color gradient from 0% -> 100% that CHM used to have.

I like the idea of getting that information displayed, but is the Scrollable Mapview the best place for it?
region.php & system.php perhaps?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2020, 05:17:34 pm »

It's been my goal to move in that direction site-wide where such shading makes sense.  I think it was something like a blue for 100%, down through the greens, yellows, oranges, to red for 0%.  Whatever it was, I liked it.

Quote from: yakra

That might be better.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2020, 05:22:13 pm »
I think it was something like a blue for 100%, down through the greens, yellows, oranges, to red for 0%.  Whatever it was, I liked it.
My memory as well. You can see it on the Wayback Machine. Someone posted a link recently; maybe it was in the Top Stats thread?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2020, 12:25:56 am »
http://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=yakra&rte=A30&sys=deua shows me what I expect.
http://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=yakra&rte=A-30&sys=deua (what am I looking for, a Quebec Autoroute?) takes me to the TM Scrollable Mapview setup dialog, even though I didn't specify the &v qs param.

In other news, wacky hijinx with devel-system routes showing up:
http://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=yakra&rg=NS

If I scroll down to the bottom the the route table, I see devel cannss routes, which all have the exact same "route trace".
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:53:28 am by yakra »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2020, 06:25:35 am »

It's been my goal to move in that direction site-wide where such shading makes sense.  I think it was something like a blue for 100%, down through the greens, yellows, oranges, to red for 0%.  Whatever it was, I liked it.

Quote from: yakra

That might be better.

I'd like to see it the very same way all over the site. Why to omit it on mapview only? Any performance issue?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2020, 09:16:34 am »
'd like to see it the very same way all over the site. Why to omit it on mapview only? Any performance issue?

Two different things.  I would want the shading of table entries based on % traveled everywhere it makes sense.

But the possibility of omitting 100% traveled routes, I don't think that belongs in Mapview.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2020, 11:42:00 am »
'd like to see it the very same way all over the site. Why to omit it on mapview only? Any performance issue?

Two different things.  I would want the shading of table entries based on % traveled everywhere it makes sense.

yep, including the table on mapview.

But the possibility of omitting 100% traveled routes, I don't think that belongs in Mapview.

I meant that I disagree to excluding the shading for the table on mapview.

Omitting 100% clinched routes was just an alternaitve suggestion if the shading would not work / not be simple to code.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2020, 01:15:03 pm »
I currently plan a little road trip for next weekend and I've realized that the reloading of the graph is not good. I always have to wait when I pan the map. Sure, it is necessary when I move "forward" but when I move back to the previous position, it is also reloaded. That's an disadvantage to the former mapview implementation. To be honest, I cannot plan my trip as before and need to use the old option now.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2020, 01:32:32 pm »
I currently plan a little road trip for next weekend and I've realized that the reloading of the graph is not good. I always have to wait when I pan the map. Sure, it is necessary when I move "forward" but when I move back to the previous position, it is also reloaded. That's an disadvantage to the former mapview implementation. To be honest, I cannot plan my trip as before and need to use the old option now.

I don't think there's much I will be able to do about that.  There is no state maintained from one update to the next.  I could remember the old info but that would quickly lead to lots of memory being used.  Also, more computation on a reload to somehow integrate into the internal data structures when there's going to be overlap, and ensure the tables are only reflecting what's visible.

To me, the scrollable version is only useful if you're going to be at a fairly zoomed-in level, resulting in a few hundred waypoints on the screen at a time.  Given the work it needs to do on each pan/zoom for wider views, it's going to be slow unless I can work out a way to make the DB faster.  And even if we do, Leaflet itself becomes slow when so many overlays are added.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2020, 01:42:14 pm »
ok, I think that I asked before but I cannot remember what you answered... Will the "old" mapview stay in place or will it be replaced?

Maybe "old" mapview but INITIAL graph loading for the whole visible screen - as requested by @mapcat - but without any reloading?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2020, 01:59:57 pm »
My next step when I have a big enough chunk of time to put into Mapview is to replicate the old functionality within the new code.  This should be faster than existing and will have all of the data for the region/system/route loaded in and you can pan and zoom around all you want with no reloads just like the existing version.  All it would be missing is the ability to turn on markers for waypoints, but I don't think anyone cares about that anyway.  But what that conversion will do is allow a check to say "switch to scrollable" or some better label, which then takes your current visible area as the starting point for scrollable mapview.  Going back the other way would be harder (scrollable to load a whole region, for example).

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2020, 05:13:28 pm »
If the map area includes no routes at all, the route table shows one entry:
Albania Autoudhë (alba)
ALB A1Thu 0.00 of 1.78 (0.0%)0.00 of 8.23 (0.0%)
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2020, 05:48:25 pm »
If the map area includes no routes at all, the route table shows one entry:
Albania Autoudhë (alba)
ALB A1Thu 0.00 of 1.78 (0.0%)0.00 of 8.23 (0.0%)

I'll check it out.  https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/460