Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 36541 times)

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:21:45 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #270 on: April 18, 2019, 11:46:58 pm »
On my way to and from last Saturday's road meet in Memphis, my travels were largely on US routes rather than Interstates. Outbound, I clinched US 25W in both Kentucky and Tennessee. Post-meet, I clinched US 70 in Arkansas, adding to my previous clinches of that route in Tennessee and North Carolina. Later this year, I might finish off the rest of US 70 (missing parts in New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma). Then heading back from southeastern Oklahoma, I clinched US 64 in Arkansas and Tennessee (still missing parts in every other state it passes through, from Arizona to North Carolina). I also finished off US 25E, and added some mileage on US 45 as well as a few US business routes.

I now have over 75% of the U.S. routes systems, with primary and bannered (business, alternate, etc.) routes combined. It's over 76% just on the primary routes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:49:50 pm by oscar »

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:May 16, 2019, 05:20:50 pm
« Reply #271 on: April 30, 2019, 02:54:00 am »
Non TM tracked clinches: Got the final segment of Cornell Rd in the Portland area clinched tonight (Brookwood Pkwy-Century Blvd), putting me one step closer to clinch all the arteries in the region.

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:21:45 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2019, 10:05:20 am »
Earlier this week, I took a four-day road trip to South Carolina. While there, I clinched (overall) US 15, US 21, US 521, and the Alt US 17 bypass of Charleston. I also finished off the long NC 24, and my last US route in Virginia (US 258 Smithfield), as well as lots of short Virginia state routes on the peninsulas between West Point and Hampton.

UPDATE: After followup day trips to the Lynchburg, Hampton Roads and Richmond areas, I've covered almost everything TM maps in Virginia that's north of the James River (missing, I think, only VA 151 north of Lynchburg), as well as everything else west of I-81 and east of I-77, and everything on the Eastern Shore. Still lots I haven't covered in SW and Southside Virginia, and the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, which leaves me well behind mapmikey and one other user in Virginia.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:44:38 pm by oscar »

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:Yesterday at 02:35:03 pm
« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2019, 12:20:15 am »
I've enjoyed reading this thread so I decided to take a crack at it.  We've had three trips in the last month where we picked up some new mileage.

• Attended meet-ups of the National Parks Travelers Club at Camp Nelson National Monument a little south of Lexington, KY and William Howard Taft National Historic Site in Cincinnati.  Some new mileage on US 52 in NC and VA paralleling I-77, a short stretch of US 11W west from I-81, some US 25W north of Middlesboro, KY to I-75, US 27 north from Somerset, KY to Lexington's KY 4 loop, a little more of KY 4, and then US 25 under the I-75/I-64 interchange and then on to I-75 north unintentionally leaving a 2 mile gap on I-75 for us in KY, some I-71 and I-275 around Cincinnati, then OH 32 over to US 23 in Piketon to get the Portsmouth Bypass and then US 52 down into Huntington, WV.  Also some surface streets around Beckley, WV going to the Exhibition Coal Mine but stayed too late and had to cut some more elaborate plans on the way home.  400+ miles of new mileage and 14 new counties.
  • A trip to Blue Ridge, GA to ride the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway.  Added a few misc miles on short jumps on and off I-40 heading west towards Asheville, NC.  Gradually chipping away at them as time allows on trips.  US 74 was new after we passed the US 441 exit towards Cherokee.  Left a gap when we detoured up NC 28, across NC 143 into Robbinsville, and then back down via US 129 which took us into Graham County to reach 100 out of 100 NC counties.  Connected with our previous drive along US 64 in Murphy for the night.  A bunch of GA state routes and a little bit of US routes in the Georgia mountains until we reached US 123 north of Cornelia.  Had not been on it before at all and clinched it going through Clemson into Greenville, SC.  Ditched some of my more aggressive options and took I-385 out to I-85 which we'd done before.  Took I-26 West at Spartanburg up to US 74 in NC to close one of our I-26 gaps.  A lot of I-26 in SC runs perpendicular to the direction we're usually going.  Drove east to Gastonia, NC to do two sides of the triangle instead of the one side of I-85.   Got some surface roads in Gastonia around I-85.  Then, finished the Charlotte interstates by heading south on I-485 from I-85 down to I-77 and then I-77 all the way up past I-485 with a short spin around Uptown Charlotte on I-277.  Cut across to Kannapolis and Concord and then paralleled I-85 on US 29 for a ways.  Did a southern chunk of I-85 Business through Lexington and Thomasville.  After getting lunch in Thomasville and almost getting to regular I-85, connected several sections of NC 62 to give us a full run from Thomasville to Burlington before heading home.  Another 400+ new mile trip and 7 new counties on this one.
  • Made a visit to the NC Zoo in Asheboro.  Normally about an hour and 15 minute drive, but I made sure to take the scenic route.  Got some of the business route through Sanford then headed down and then turned west along NC 24/27 for a while before heading up NC 22 and NC 42 to Asheboro.  Staying there got us to the zoo earlier in the day.  Afterwards, went down NC 134 and then back up US 220 Alternate and then US 220 Business through Asheboro clinching the latter and knocking out a big chunk of the former.  Also got a chunk of NC 49 from US 421 up to I-40 that only makes sense on a limited number of trip destinations.  And left just one small run to do on our next trip heading west and we'll have everything between Raleigh and Greensboro from I-40 down to US 64 done.  Also, connected some more dots around Burlington.  Ended up getting 140+ miles to temporarily hop over Oscar for 5th place in NC.  The trip he mentioned just above this flipped it back.

Mike

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:04:20 am
« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »
Last weekend's city meet in Providence netted me a completion of the Interstates in Massachusetts and some significant mileage of US 6 and US 44 as well as more Connecticut Interstate mileage.  It also netted me my first miles of routing in Vermont.  Nothing in between. I cheated by flying.
Completed:
* Systems: WI
* by US State: AR: I; AZ: I; DE: I; IA: I, KS: I; MN: I; MO: I; NE: I; RI: I; WI: I,US,WI;

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:May 10, 2019, 08:31:45 pm
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2019, 10:35:24 pm »
March and April saw me making multiple trips between eastern PA and the DC FedroSplat (some via Hagerstown MD), plus one trip from DC out into the wilds of West Virginia. There's a lot of Nowhere in a 30 mile radius of Charleston. And US 119 north of I-79 is a tiny little two-lane squiggle following a creek, mostly with no shoulders. Not the most fun trip to take in a 30-foot RV.

Clinched routes:
PA29 (southern half), PA616, PA851 Truck near Shrewsbury, PA897, MD24, MD91, MD129, MD152, MD372, MD439, MD562, MD646, MD833, MD851.

New segments:
US11 in PA, PA23, PA24, PA74, PA82, PA233, PA401, PA425, PA465, PA851 (two new segments), PA896, PA999, US40 in Baltimore MD, MD23, MD136, MD144 in Baltimore, MD147, I-79 in WV, US119 in WV.

More trips to come in May, including the one I've already taken but still need to write down.