Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 11276 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:20:38 am
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2018, 12:37:22 am »
I considered Urban Dictionary, but just had to go with Wikipedia instead...

Offline julmac

• Last Login:Yesterday at 08:29:20 pm
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2018, 02:40:01 am »
Just finished my first single-journey completion of a major US route. Drove US 75 from end to end on my way to a seminar at the University of North Texas. Took US 83 for much of the way back. Also my longest solo trip to date. Highlights along the route included Pipestone National Monument (MN), the Little House on the Prairie (KS), Monument Rocks (KS), and Nebraska sandhills. My wife and kids were sad that they didn't get to see the Little House on the Prairie, but quite happy not having to sit through eight days of driving the prairies to see it.

Will now focus on getting my log file up-to-date (it's severely backlogged with new preview systems), and ongoing system reviews before a more usual trip to the west coast with the family next month.

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:56:27 pm
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:00 pm »
Completion of a two-week trip through the southeast (KY, TN, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC - Also IN).  Brings Florida into my personal top 10 (with the state routes included).  Fell short of finishing the FL Interstates by 8.46 (I-10 E of Lake City and the Jacksonville belt).  also got the routes along the Keys (US1 and FLA1A).  Also did a little Disney World roadgeeking (on and off the road  ;) ). TN was also heavily covered with new route travels with I-24, I-40, I-65, I-440 and I-840 added to the "Done" list.  I only need 26, 75, 81, 124 and the piece of 269 that got built after 2015.  IL also has only a portion of I-70 remaining (E of IL 4) and it's done.  This also included my first entry into South Carolina (I only have to island hop (self-explanatory), drive the frontier, and go Vermonting).

Off of this trip - I now have seen where some of the "other ends" of routes that I use regularly (in state) are with my own eyes.  US-45 in Mobile and US-41 in Miami (wherever the route ends I made sure - can't believe between my own eyes or the FL GIS data).

After tomorrow and over 5000 miles of driving, my car wants to rest and lick its wounds (only bug splats 8) )

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:36:44 pm
« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2018, 10:02:28 am »
I picked up a few hundred new miles on a quick swing down to the Carolinas and back.  I cracked 85,000 miles on active systems, 88,000 on active+preview.  I clinched my 600th active route, likely when I traveled the new I-73 section near Greensboro.  I got my first-ever mileage on US 123, meaning I have driven on at least one segment of 191 of the 219 routes in the usaus system, and my first-ever mileage on I-385, for 285 of 365 traveled (184 clinched) in usai.

Along the way, I discovered that US 209/PA 325/PA 225/US 22-322 is a nice alternative to avoid the always-bad traffic on I-81 between Harrisburg and I-78, and that US 220 from Roanoke to the I-73 segment north of Greensboro still needs some work before it's a great option.  Also, that I really like the ride on US 178 over the mountains between NC and SC (though I don't think I've ever found a bad route through any of the mountains down that way).

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:39:53 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2018, 08:40:50 pm »
I just got back from a few weeks on the road, taking a sidewinding southern route out to Colorado then a more direct northern route on the return. Part of the plan was to clinch several US routes, plus the long TX 114 across Texas. I was able to clinch US 601 and TX 114, plus re-clinch US 33 after its recent relocation in Goshen IN, and re-clinch in advance US 29 in Lawrenceville GA once its pending relocation is implemented (not yet). I wasn't quite able to finish off US 501, US 80, and US 138 due to mid-route construction closures, so I'll have to go back and finish off the missing route segments once those projects are completed.

Between the outbound and return trips, I spent several days soaking at a favorite hot springs resort in southern Colorado, a mountain location with limited cellphone or Internet access. I did some light travel around Colorado before returning home, including becoming the only user so far to clinch CO 65, CO 92, and CO 330 east of Grand Junction, and CO 17 and CO 136 in the Alamosa area.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:55:47 pm by oscar »