User Discussions > Welcome & Notices

January 2021 Hardware Upgrades

(1/9) > >>

Jim:
The hardware has arrived for memory and disk upgrades to the server that houses TM and METAL.  I hope to install them this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow (Wed 1/20).  There will be multiple complete outages of TM and METAL, including this forum.  Watch this thread, the motd on the main TM page, and the project status on GitHub (https://travelmapping.github.io/) for updates.

yakra:

--- Quote from: Jim on January 19, 2021, 11:47:37 am ---memory

--- End quote ---
Been doing some work on C++ subgraph generation this past week where memory bandwidth plays an interesting role; it's made me wonder what noreaster's setup is.

So what's it got?
DDR4?
What mHz?
Dual-channel? Tri-channel? Other?

Jim:

--- Quote from: yakra on January 19, 2021, 01:15:17 pm ---Been doing some work on C++ subgraph generation this past week where memory bandwidth plays an interesting role; it's made me wonder what noreaster's setup is.

So what's it got?
DDR4?
What mHz?
Dual-channel? Tri-channel? Other?

--- End quote ---

Current:

32GB (8x4GB) 2400MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC

Adding 8 more of the same to bump to 64GB total.

Jim:
I am planning to do the upgrades starting around 9:15 AM EST on Wednesday, January 20.  Expect TM to be unavailable at times throughout the day.

yakra:
Looks like the DDR4 modules are rated for 2400MHz, but the processor only supports 2133...

--- Quote from: Jim on June 28, 2019, 09:51:23 am ---On noreaster we have this:

Dual Intel Xeon Processor E5-2630 v4 (10C, 2.2GHz, 3.1GHz Turbo, 2133MHz, 25MB, 85W)

--- End quote ---
The 2133 here appears to refer to the memory clock:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=92981
...which answers my other question: it's 4-channel.

Not bad. That's nominally 178% the bandwidth of lab2, 267% the bandwidth of lab3.
noreaster should be able to churn out subgraphs wicked quick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version