User Discussions > Other Discussion

How do you consider a route to be travelled?

<< < (5/6) > >>

kjslaughter:
Not sure why I never considered walking, but that adds a little bit to my routes in Boston and Philadelphia.  Most of my walking in DC was along Mall, so can't add anything there.

Totally agree on bridge changes, unless it's like changing from a large old truss bridge to a big new cable stayed design, such as in Brunswick GA several years ago.  Same ROW lets me still consider roads long ago widened since my last travel.  But yes, new bypasses don't count.  Lost some of GA 72 east of Athens for that reason.

bhemphill:
I count any mode of travel on the road.  Walking on the sidewalk along the route is acceptable.  I don't do subway or train next to a road though.  I think those should be travel routes in systems to be added, although only really fast trains (175 mph or faster usual travel speed i.e. Eurostar, TGV, ICE, Shinkansen) because they have only a few fixed stops instead of every little whistle stop.  Frontage road only counts in 1 point per interchange instances where the actual ramps are so far apart, or rest areas and welcome centers since it is get off and get right back on.  If the bridge replacement moves the right of way enough for the maintainer to make points for the old route, I tend to de-clinch that segment.  I don't include routes from before I was 6 or so that I haven't traveled again, since I don't remember them or know how we got from point A to point B.  The points can count in county travels though.  On a trip as a teenager I know that we were at Hyde Park and the Vanderbilt mansion on the Hudson River and then were at Niagara Falls, but I have no clue how we got from point A to point B as I remember that my parents were tired of paying tolls.  So there are some odd gaps for that trip, but I have as much as I can remember we covered for sure.  Other trips were easier to figure out the route, or didn't look so strange with pieces missing.  If my dog sled rides or snowmobile rides had gone over routes closed for winter, I would have counted those.

mapcat:
Besides driving, or being a passenger, I've clinched roads on a bike twice and in a golf cart. I've walked segments to clinch a route, but never walked an entire route. That needs to happen somewhere in Kentucky on one of those quarter-mile-long routes. Thanks for the idea.

The discussion on declinching is interesting. Rather than thinking of roads as declinched, I more optimistically look at them as reclinchable. If I truly clinch a road (i.e. travel from endpoint to endpoint), from that point forward it's clinched forever, unless one of the endpoints moves to a new location not previously on the road. So a route that's extended (ON 407) or rerouted at the end (US 175) gets removed from the clinched list, but a route that keeps its endpoints and is rerouted somewhere in between (such as US 61 south of Cape Girardeau) remains clinched. I still keep track of them in my .list, with a special entry at the end. The reclinchable segment of US 501 in Virginia, for example, shows up as

YYVA US501 *OldUS501_S *OldUS501_N

I prefer to keep this list short, so whenever I'm near one of them I will travel the new section and remove it from the reclinchable list. To avoid slightly exaggerating my mileage, if a reroute results in the addition of a business route over the former alignment (TX 31), I won't add the business route to my .list until I've travelled the new alignment.

This policy doesn't affect reroutes on unclinched highways. For example, US 6 was rerouted in Sterling, CO earlier this year. Since I'm still missing mileage on US 6 elsewhere, I deleted the rerouted segment from my .list.

oscar:

--- Quote from: mapcat on March 26, 2021, 08:57:06 am ---This policy doesn't affect reroutes on unclinched highways. For example, US 6 was rerouted in Sterling, CO earlier this year. Since I'm still missing mileage on US 6 elsewhere, I deleted the rerouted segment from my .list.

--- End quote ---

I did that, too, even though I've otherwise clinched US 6. Fortunately, that segment is close to an Interstate, and it shouldn't be too hard to re-clinch next time I'm out West.

formulanone:
I count driving, biking, walking, and any other transportation where I can see the road but still be near to the ground. It counts to me if I was awake and aware of the route travelled, and time of day or night does not matter. For example: I don't remember exactly where I was driven in Las Vegas, because I wasn't driving and wasn't fully aware, though I remember an I-215 shield when being shuttled around, and seeing a Nevada 604 shield when walking around. So I don't count any of that, since I'm not sure which routes I entered and exited from with much precision (and NV 604 was decommissioned).

I think I've clinched exactly two roads by walking them; I've driven one of them before, and the other isn't yet on TM.

Minor realignments don't de-clinch a segment, unless there's some significant visual distance (say, over 0.25 mile) between points. I'll count a route that's been renumbered if I drove on the same pavement and place.

Despite a lot of flying; no, I don't count routes nor counties I have flown over. I'll count the county I landed/departed from if I walked on the ground...but to date, there's only one county for which I've never left the terminal (Salt Lake City). That hasn't stopped me from snapping a few shots, though:

UT201 Facing West at 3200 West Intersection by formulanone, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version