Author Topic: ON: Sault Ste. Marie Bridge  (Read 748 times)

Offline nwi_irish96

• Last Login:October 27, 2023, 03:45:51 pm
  • formerly cabiness42
ON: Sault Ste. Marie Bridge
« on: June 25, 2023, 11:02:59 am »
I'm having trouble locating the Ontario portion of the Sault Ste. Marie international bridge in the Highway Browser.

If it's there, please let me know where it is.

If it's not there, shouldn't it be?

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 05:16:56 pm
    • New York State Roads
Re: ON: Sault Ste. Marie Bridge
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 05:39:30 pm »
There isn't one.

This actually happens a LOT with Ontario due to MTO not designating provincial route numbers on international bridges (even ON 405 doesn't end at the border, although TM hasn't trimmed that one for some reason, probably because the interchange that used to be at the endpoint is no longer).  That said, even if MTO was more interested in designating numbers to the border, I'm not sure that they would here, since it just ends.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:25:53 am
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 08:52:33 pm »
Yeah it's not in there and doesn't belong in there because it has no route number. And everything leading up to it is just city streets, also with no number.

It might seem untidy and unsatisfactory, but it matches reality. And it's not the only place where a route ends in the middle of of a large bridge with no matching route on the other side.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:02:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 06:24:28 am »
I'd have to dig up the conversation to remember details, but I believe we have discussed a sort of catch-all system or systems in the past to take care of this kind of unsatisfying situation.  I'd like it for graph connectivity and it would give me some more routes/miles in my totals.  However, I believe the consensus was that it would be a big challenge to determine what makes the cut, and since the project has to set the bar somewhere, that it was best not to proceed with such a system.

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 09:02:40 pm »
Yeah it's not in there and doesn't belong in there because it has no route number. And everything leading up to it is just city streets, also with no number.

It might seem untidy and unsatisfactory, but it matches reality. And it's not the only place where a route ends in the middle of of a large bridge with no matching route on the other side.

The west end of NJ 12 is also in the middle of the Frenchtown (NJ) - Uhlerstown (PA) Bridge with no connectivity onto a marked PA route... even though that bridge ends in a T intersection with (marked) PA 32, so you've got maybe a 500-foot length of Maxwell Smart "missed it by THAT much!" lack of graph continuity..