Web Design Discussion > General Web Design Discussion

Top Stats on tmtest

(1/5) > >>

Jim:
Early work on a "Top Stats" page, similar to what used to exist on CHM, is now on tmtest.

Go to http://tmtest.teresco.org/user/topstats.php to see what's there so far.  I hope to have time on Monday to add more.  I don't promise I won't be breaking it as I add features.  I'm focused mostly on getting the stats on the page for now, haven't thought much about presentation yet (so it's ugly).

mapcat:
Thanks for working on this! I like what you've done with it so far.

A few ideas:

* Cut off the tables when there aren't enough routes to fill them. I selected Alberta, and kept the default 25 entries, and my "most traveled" table had the 20 I had traveled plus 5 random ones with 0 miles. The clinched route table showed only the routes I'd clinched, so that one worked.
* Include only connected routes that exist in the selected region. My Alberta tables had interstates and US highways on them. I see the disclaimer next to the region drop-down in the table, so you know about this, but even with the disclaimer, I don't understand why these are showing on every page. Maybe the user should have to choose between region and connected routes?
* The CHM tables included one that showed the non-clinched routes with the shortest missing mileage, which would be helpful for identifying segments that users may have forgotten to enter, or would want to go back to finish off.Is there a limit to the max entries per table?

yakra:
Clicking on "US2 (New York - Maine)" takes me here.
It's appropriate with the features currently available, but a way to view connected routes in mapview would be good.
I had a go at waypoints.js.php back in November, but didn't get too far with it; a lot of moving parts to wrap my head around.
That file undergirds the HB too, so once the right changes are in place, we're most of the way to having ConnectedRoutes in the HB, yes?

Jim:

--- Quote from: mapcat on May 31, 2020, 11:18:47 pm ---Cut off the tables when there aren't enough routes to fill them. I selected Alberta, and kept the default 25 entries, and my "most traveled" table had the 20 I had traveled plus 5 random ones with 0 miles. The clinched route table showed only the routes I'd clinched, so that one worked.

--- End quote ---

Just fixed it.

--- Quote ---Include only connected routes that exist in the selected region. My Alberta tables had interstates and US highways on them. I see the disclaimer next to the region drop-down in the table, so you know about this, but even with the disclaimer, I don't understand why these are showing on every page. Maybe the user should have to choose between region and connected routes?
--- End quote ---

I think ultimately, I'll have the option as you mention to think about connected routes or in-region only.

--- Quote ---The CHM tables included one that showed the non-clinched routes with the shortest missing mileage, which would be helpful for identifying segments that users may have forgotten to enter, or would want to go back to finish off.
--- End quote ---

Definitely on my list.

--- Quote ---Is there a limit to the max entries per table?

--- End quote ---

Currently set to 500 but other than the fact that the tables would be huge, there's no reason I couldn't make it larger.

Jim:

--- Quote from: yakra on June 01, 2020, 12:47:14 am ---Clicking on "US2 (New York - Maine)" takes me here.
It's appropriate with the features currently available, but a way to view connected routes in mapview would be good.
I had a go at waypoints.js.php back in November, but didn't get too far with it; a lot of moving parts to wrap my head around.
That file undergirds the HB too, so once the right changes are in place, we're most of the way to having ConnectedRoutes in the HB, yes?

--- End quote ---

waypoints.js.php was modeled after CHM's mechanism for getting DB info.  Scrollable Mapview and this page don't use it.  I think it's OK for the HB, but wasn't a good choice for original Mapview, parts of HDX, and some other things that use it.  It's been mangled to handle lots of cases for which the model it uses is not great.  I'm hoping to move more code away from waypoints.js.php and into AJAX calls to query the DB on demand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version