Highway Data Discussion > Solved Highway data updates

MD: MD 219

(1/2) > >>

Markkos1992:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24933.msg2912853#msg2912853

Well it is in the 2022 HLR so I presume we have enough to put it in Travel Mapping as much as I do not want us to. 

https://roads.maryland.gov/OPPEN/2022%20Garrett.pdf (see page 16)

mapmikey:
another reason to have unsigned routes in TM, especially if they appear on maps.  People who want to clinch them all regardless of posting status get jerked around when they suddenly become posted...

Markkos1992:
My main incentive to head all the way to Oakland just to clinch MD 219 would be to check signage along MD 36 for MD 935.

In other potentially posted MD Route news, I have already clinched MD 114 (Watkins Mill Rd, goes from MD 117 to MD 355 crossing I-270 at Exit 12) so if/when that becomes signed I am good there.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: mapmikey on March 11, 2024, 07:16:37 pm ---another reason to have unsigned routes in TM, especially if they appear on maps.  People who want to clinch them all regardless of posting status get jerked around when they suddenly become posted...

--- End quote ---
The hard thing with unsigned routes is that you eventually get into stuff like the NY reference routes.  I could see a case for "if the system is otherwise signed and the route is clearly part of said system", but then you get into things like Maryland's habit of assigning route numbers to random pieces of concrete on old alignments.

mapmikey:
There should be some discretion on the part of the maintainer.  Maryland chooses to number some of its abandoned alignments and frontages with the same numbering system as its normal state highways.  Virginia does this with frontages and stubs designed to preserve property access that was taken away by a primary route's reconstruction.  Virginia considers these routes primary routes and posts 3/4 of them, but they have a separate numbering convention (F-routes) from their state route numbering.  So Virginia's F-routes can be easily ignored in TM until someone were to decide the whole system should be included.

But Maryland definitely has unposted routes that are real roads, often of independent utility, sometimes on maps, and are subject to posting at any time, like the recent MD 219 and MD 368/MD 568 which went decades without posting then suddenly were fully posted one day. 

And of course we should be including state routes that are posted but somehow deemed insufficiently posted (NJ and VA definitely have these).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version