Author Topic: usatr: United States select tourist routes  (Read 3518 times)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:36:52 am
Re: usatr: United States select tourist routes
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2024, 11:46:30 am »
Is this system here to stay? If so, I'm suddenly tracking my travels on the Seaway Trail :D
the intention was that it would stay for long, but it was also not the intention that these routes would disappear and never come back. The last Easter egg was railways.

There's no reason why such routes couldn't become permanent, providing that there's mechanisms in place to deal with the purist's objections towards systems they have no interest in clinching mucking up their scores in the game of 'gotta clinch them all' that they are not playing as they don't play games affecting their stats.

If people want it, they should have it.

Offline webny99

• Last Login:April 12, 2024, 11:56:19 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 12:12:48 pm »
Is this system here to stay? If so, I'm suddenly tracking my travels on the Seaway Trail :D
the intention was that it would stay for long, but it was also not the intention that these routes would disappear and never come back. The last Easter egg was railways.

There's no reason why such routes couldn't become permanent, providing that there's mechanisms in place to deal with the purist's objections towards systems they have no interest in clinching mucking up their scores in the game of 'gotta clinch them all' that they are not playing as they don't play games affecting their stats.

I would support this system staying around, if for no other reason than a surprise chance to add new travels (at a glance, it appears I'll have some to add in NY, PA, and MN).

Also... NY SeaTrl has a couple of point issues.

SeaTrl endpoints of NY14 overlap (NY14_N and NY14_S) do not exist as points on NY 14.
I-190 21 21B incorrectly shows concurrent with SeaTrl.  SeaTrl follows the direct ramps from NiaScePkwyNia to NY384, although it is only 0.1 mile so it may be passable.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 12:14:11 pm »
Those point issues are due to existing files not being changed for ge Easter egg.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:35:26 pm
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 12:21:15 pm »
I'd like to see the system stay in preview and improved.  We can work out the issues of what should be included.

Offline webny99

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 12:44:26 pm »
Those point issues are due to existing files not being changed for ge Easter egg.

Got it. In the case of the SeaTrl/I-190 overlap, NiaScePkwyNia and NY384 may also be affected, since they lack point locations where they are joined by SeaTrl.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:25:02 am
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2024, 01:27:31 pm »
Memphis from south to north: US 61, BB King Boulevard (US 64/70/79), Patterson Avenue, Main Street, Beale Street, Riverside Drive, Jefferson Avenue, Front Street, Willis Avenue, Island Drive, Mud Island Road, 2nd Street, Whitney Avenue, US 51
signed? I spent a long time looking in Memphis and couldn't find enough signage to justify it, despite being lax when it came to clear gaps in the GRR like the East Duluth one.
From south to north:
King/Patterson
Patterson/Main
Main/Beale
Beale/Riverside
Riverside/Jefferson
Jefferson/Front
Front/Willis
Willis/Island
Mud Island/2nd seems to have disappeared.
Whitney/51

As for Missouri, there seem to be a fair number of signs on both state portions. Most importantly, it's signed on secondary B.

Thanks BTW for the system; you did a good job. Hope it stays :)

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2024, 02:00:02 pm »
Louisiana is by far the worst-signed piece of the GRR. It's also the only state to define it in law. The following differences exist:
The eastbank route continues south to meet the westbank route at Gretna. Exposition Street is not driveable; the nearest two-way street is Clay Avenue. https://byways.louisianatravel.com/byway/louisiana-great-river-road shows St. Charles Avenue instead. It also shows a continuation down the eastbank to Pointe a la Hache
The route in Baton Rouge is different between Government Street and SpaTownRd_W.
The law agrees in New Roads (assuming it's talking about 1 Business), but https://byways.louisianatravel.com/byway/louisiana-great-river-road shows a different route that follows the river better.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2024, 02:12:05 pm »
The GRR is signed to bypass Vicksburg. (But the route thru Vicksburg should remain in TM as US 61 Business.)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 02:50:40 pm »
Louisiana is by far the worst-signed piece of the GRR.
I saw there was a sign refresh due last year that started after most of the street view imagery was taken so gave it the benefit of the doubt and took the route from AARW/map data, rather than LA law (because I had assumed that the more readable data would be accurate).

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:08:46 pm
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 05:11:18 pm »
What source was used for the Lincoln Hwy in PA?  It's ends to me are odd considering how the name still exists on much of US 30 and even some of US 1 BUS east of Gettysburg.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 06:33:12 pm »
What source was used for the Lincoln Hwy in PA?  It's ends to me are odd considering how the name still exists on much of US 30 and even some of US 1 BUS east of Gettysburg.
road names don't matter. Shields do.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:08:46 pm
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 06:57:21 pm »
road names don't matter. Shields do.

I think my real issue is that it took me this long to find any shields.  I was not aware of any in PA.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:04 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2024, 09:20:57 pm »
Welp.  There goes my 100% of NY for a long, long while.  It would be nice if the goalposts didn't move without warning.  Ogdensburg is far enough away that I need to take a full day to get there and back, all for a mile or two of route that I could have clinched earlier if I had known it might be added.  Needless to say, this means that either my roadtrip schedule or TravelMapping map will be messed up for a long while.

And yes, let's talk about maps, because this affects Maryland too.  I have no interest in getting Maryland to 100%, but there are sections of road that I would have clinched last year with the Cumberland meet if I had known, just to make the map look good.  The odds of me being back there to fix this any time soon aren't exactly good.

If this is sticking around, can we at least get a color that is less similar to auxiliary US routes while fitting in with the color scheme (not clashing like something like black might)?

Is this your attempt to sneak in stuff that wouldn't have otherwise been added?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2024, 09:47:28 pm »
The Seaway Trail in Erie has an annoying one-way pair. Eastbound is as shown (missing sign for the turn onto 6th), but westbound stays on Bayfront to 8th.

The Seaway Trail in Buffalo needs a point at NiaSq to match NY 384.

The Seaway Trail in Niagara Falls uses Main Street to Rainbow Boulevard, not 1st-Niagara-Daly, rejoining what we have at NY384_E.

The Seaway Trail should probably get a point at Ford/Rosseel and a shaping point at Rosseel/Washington in Ogdensburg NY to clarify that it uses some of Washington Street east of State Street.

LECT signage seems to completely disappear west of Geneva OH, with signs only for the Lake Erie Coastal Ohio Trail (which has a different route in places). This has been true since 2008 or earlier. Signs return where it hops onto I-90.

The LECT uses SR 269 and SR 163 thru Danbury and Port Clinton OH. It strangely uses SR 358 to return to SR 2 (Ohio must want to keep it on state routes).

This sign seems to be erroneous. There's nothing after the turn, and the LECT is signed at the end of I-280.

Offline webny99

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2024, 10:50:20 pm »
Welp.  There goes my 100% of NY for a long, long while.  It would be nice if the goalposts didn't move without warning.  Ogdensburg is far enough away that I need to take a full day to get there and back, all for a mile or two of route that I could have clinched earlier if I had known it might be added.  Needless to say, this means that either my roadtrip schedule or TravelMapping map will be messed up for a long while.

And for others, it may be more than just Ogdensburg; there's over 40 miles between Rochester and Oswego that's off the state route system, plus the two short connections in Niagara Falls. I am fortunate to live close enough to have most of that clinched already, but there's a segment near Wolcott I'll have to grab at some point. I do like the fact that the Seaway Trail connects to NY 250 and NY 14 at their northern termini so they no longer look like dead ends.