Author Topic: Winter 2020-21 TM development  (Read 9370 times)

Online Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
Winter 2020-21 TM development
« on: May 06, 2020, 10:44:44 pm »
My semester that was like no other should be wrapped up next week, and I hope to be able to dedicate some more time to TM development than I have been able to do for the last couple of summers.  With yakra having done some great things with the site update process, I'm looking toward improvements on the web front end.  I'm going to start by looking over the easier open issues in the Web repository and pick off some of them to refamiliarize myself with the code, then will decide what larger project or two I might want to tackle.  I'm open to suggestions on priorities.

Edit: Changed subject to "Winter 2020-21"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:28:15 am by michih »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Re: Summer 2020 TM development
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:08:45 am »
:)

Just a wish list for larger projects:

Stats and maps per country or continent (there were complaints about TM getting too complicate):

Ease of drafting routes over region boundaries (there were complaints about TM getting too complicate):

Improvement for highway data managers to improve data quality:

Enhanced stats:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:50:14 pm by michih »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:24:30 pm »
With yakra having done some great things with the site update process, I'm looking toward improvements on the web front end.  I'm going to start by looking over the easier open issues in the Web repository and pick off some of them to refamiliarize myself with the code, then will decide what larger project or two I might want to tackle.  I'm open to suggestions on priorities.
I should be able to get some of the issues that I've opened or self-assigned. I call #408 for starters; that'll be a quickie.

Multi-region list file entries
One of my medium priorities. It's one of several interrelated issues flagged "TravelerList ctor". Some, it makes sense to tackle together, some can happen sooner, some can happen later. All, I have a basic idea in my head of how to implement. As I've already been tearing around the code making all the recent changes, I'd like to be the one to address these too.
I can call it my 2nd priority in DataProcessing. The only issue flagged "high priority", Output log for unused altRouteNames, I'll make a decision on whether to implement separately first, or in tandem with whatever else.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:40:37 pm by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mvak36

• Last Login:September 29, 2023, 09:36:33 am
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 12:00:41 pm »
Would the following be possible?
http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=265.0

I haven't seen anything on it since 2017 (I probably haven't even thought about it since then) so I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to do.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 05:22:21 pm »

I haven't seen anything on it since 2017 (I probably haven't even thought about it since then) so I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to do.
Is this what you're talking about?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 07:14:11 pm »
May also be referring to viewing connected routes in mapview:
https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/101
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mvak36

• Last Login:September 29, 2023, 09:36:33 am
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:49:28 am »

If I go to my Clinched routes page and click on a route that I clinched (let's say I-435), it goes to the Kansas I-435 page. I would expect to see something more like this, which I get to by clicking on Related Routes. 2DI example: I-72 (from Clinched Routes Page). I-72 (What it should be). One potential problem I see is when I click on Related routes, the Business Routes also show up on the map.

These changes would affect multi-state interstate and US routes for sure. Maybe there are some other routes that would be affected by this as well.

Again, it's not that big of a priority. If someone knows of a simple way to do this, then maybe it can be implemented. Otherwise, I'm okay with how it is.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 12:59:53 pm »

If I go to my Clinched routes page and click on a route that I clinched (let's say I-435), it goes to the Kansas I-435 page. I would expect to see something more like this, which I get to by clicking on Related Routes. 2DI example: I-72 (from Clinched Routes Page). I-72 (What it should be). One potential problem I see is when I click on Related routes, the Business Routes also show up on the map.

These changes would affect multi-state interstate and US routes for sure. Maybe there are some other routes that would be affected by this as well.

Again, it's not that big of a priority. If someone knows of a simple way to do this, then maybe it can be implemented. Otherwise, I'm okay with how it is.

It works as implemented! The shield doesn't represent the route but the region-specific segment of the route! For instance, you have two I-280 routes clinched - in CA + IA. Two I-290 - in NY + IL. The shield links to exactly that.

The initial issue is, that the shields are region-specific. This issue was already reported https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/200
I'll add the subsequent issue with the link now.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 02:31:59 am »
Sounds like a connected route thing.
Related: Suboptimal links in user stats #101
The ability to show a ConnectedRoute in the HB will be key once Feature: Multi-region list file entries are implemented.
Added a new GitHub issue: view ConnectedRoutes in HB

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 03:51:29 pm »
Something else worth adding to the list: toggling of systems in stats views. Want to see how close to done you are in Utah but don't care about the NPS routes? Want to see how close to done you are in Ohio but don't care about the historic US routes? Toggle them off and watch all the stats adjust as if they don't exist.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 04:18:49 pm »
Something else worth adding to the list: toggling of systems in stats views. Want to see how close to done you are in Utah but don't care about the NPS routes? Want to see how close to done you are in Ohio but don't care about the historic US routes? Toggle them off and watch all the stats adjust as if they don't exist.

Stats restricted to systems/regions/etc of interest

Online Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
Winter 2020-21 TM development
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 10:37:22 am »
With my semesters being compressed and spread apart to avoid the expected peak of covid, I'll be done with my fall semester in about a week, and won't start back up for the spring until February 22.  I've got quite a bit apart from TM and METAL that needs to be done in that time frame, but I plan to put some time in here as well.  The main focus will be preparing the algorithm visualizations for spring courses and beyond (hoping to visualize some multithreaded algorithms, for example) but I hope to make some TM enhancements as well.  I'd probably start with some of the expanded stats as discussed in https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/452 .  If anyone has other things, especially on the web front end side of things, that you'd like me to try to prioritize, let me know.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 03:59:12 am »
If anyone has other things, especially on the web front end side of things, that you'd like me to try to prioritize, let me know.

wpt editor: Automated loading of points in use

Online si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:26:08 am
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 04:51:42 am »
If anyone has other things, especially on the web front end side of things, that you'd like me to try to prioritize, let me know.

wpt editor: Automated loading of points in use
seconded

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
Re: Winter 2020-21 TM development
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 12:38:06 am »
I'd like a third table on the Traveler Statistics "Active Systems" page for United States only, or replace the Active+Preview.