Author Topic: Clinched Routes Highway Shields  (Read 79827 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
Re: Clinched Routes Highway Shields
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2021, 12:07:11 pm »
I've got canon and canonf using the better shields now.  What other than 407 should use the blue version?

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2021, 01:02:41 pm »
The new ones look great! 412 needs a blue shield, and I assume 418 does too.
Clinched:

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2021, 08:09:16 pm »
I've got canon and canonf using the better shields now.  What other than 407 should use the blue version?

412 & 418

Still working on my cleaned up version.  Will let you know once it's done.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2021, 08:44:15 pm »
412 and 418 are blue now.  These are treated as special cases like 407.  Other canon and 40x use the template.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2021, 10:08:16 pm »
I've removed the extra letter from (all) usausb shields that shouldn't be in (most of) them.

The problematic cases are ones like US 20A in New York, which is signed as such rather than Alt US 20.  Not sure how best to handle those cases generically.  I could add a handful of special cases.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2021, 11:23:15 pm »
I've removed the extra letter from (all) usausb shields that shouldn't be in (most of) them.

The problematic cases are ones like US 20A in New York, which is signed as such rather than Alt US 20.  Not sure how best to handle those cases generically.  I could add a handful of special cases.

If you could do special cases, that would be great. Alt US 20 in Ohio also uses the 20A format (that's the only one I'm aware of). Same for 31A, 41A, & 70A in Tennessee (but not 127 Alt).

Assume that you want to replace the "Bus", "Alt" etc wording above each with a banner eventually?

The "BL" & "BS" above the usaib shields seems unnecessary.

Do you need anything in order to create the KY parkway signs?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 11:32:10 pm by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2021, 08:13:03 am »
If you could do special cases, that would be great. Alt US 20 in Ohio also uses the 20A format (that's the only one I'm aware of). Same for 31A, 41A, & 70A in Tennessee (but not 127 Alt).

Let's see if we can get a list.  I think Maine does US 1A rather than an Alt banner. 

Are those different from routes like 9W, and the E/W and N/S splits?  Should they be moved to usaus?

Assume that you want to replace the "Bus", "Alt" etc wording above each with a banner eventually?

Yes, longer term.  https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/618

They'd end up being a special case since those are specified in the "Banner" field.  I think if and when the banners are made into graphical shields, they could more easily be omitted.

Do you need anything in order to create the KY parkway signs?

I need SVGs for them.  Do the shields on this page look reasonable?  The files look like they should be good to drop in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parkways_and_named_highways_in_Kentucky

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2021, 08:34:43 am »
Are those different from routes like 9W, and the E/W and N/S splits?  Should they be moved to usaus?

No, I think usausb is the right place for them.

I need SVGs for them.  Do the shields on this page look reasonable?  The files look like they should be good to drop in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parkways_and_named_highways_in_Kentucky

Not quite. These SVGs are better, although the blue is off; it should be a brighter blue. UK basketball blue.

Audubon
Bluegrass
Cumberland
Hal Rogers
Mountain
Pennyrile
Purchase
Western KY
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2021, 09:41:47 am »
Thanks for the links to the better SVGs.  Unfortunately, they're not public domain like all of the others I've brought in.  If anyone who knows the rules for this kind of thing better than I do can verify that we can legally use them on TM, let me know and I will bring them in.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2021, 11:55:35 am »

Personally, I've no big problem with the 'A' remaining in place as a stopgap until we get actual banners working, but what's done is done...
Getting Business banners etc. working would also be useful for state systems.

I think Maine does US 1A rather than an Alt banner.
For A/Alt specifically, that's correct.
The state's one Business route consistently uses a Business banner, though there is this one longstanding oddity...

That said, if banners are implemented, I'd also have no problem with just implementing them consistently across the site. Consistent with how waypoint labels are done.
Or, if we wanna go the extra mile and acknowledge A/Alt and B/Bus distinctions as individual states actually do them, hey, that's cool too.

Am I missing something? Was banner text briefly included above the shield images, and then reverted?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2021, 04:02:45 am »
Thanks for the links to the better SVGs.  Unfortunately, they're not public domain like all of the others I've brought in.  If anyone who knows the rules for this kind of thing better than I do can verify that we can legally use them on TM, let me know and I will bring them in.

We could always talk to HB over @ AARoads since he does work for Kentucky.  He even did provide me the decals for those routes that we used on the old CHM site.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2021, 06:55:10 pm »
Let's see if we can get a list.  I think Maine does US 1A rather than an Alt banner. 

Maine and Arkansas both use letter suffixes consistently in lieu of banners. Connecticut's single surviving contribution is also "US 1A"

But this is a question of style - the rule holds that A = Alt, B = Business, etc. and so these routes do belong in usausb. This is distinct from directional suffixes (N/S/E/W) where the route is part of the primary rather than the auxiliary system.

The IP issue here is that the "Unbridled Spirit" logo is trademarked. Since this is part of the shield, it is not possible for a public domain graphic to exist unless it is modified to remove that logo.

Nonetheless, if Wikipedia is able to make a solid fair use case for using the partially trademarked shield in an article about the road, I think we'd be in the clear using the same to refer to the road.

Consider the four criteria for fair use under US law:
1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2)the nature of the copyrighted work;
3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Against these:
1) Our use would certainly be nonprofit and in some ways could be considered educational
2) The work is plastered all over Kentucky (not just on highway signs!), so it's not like they're shy about its publication. They're also not charging for copies of it so it's not like we'd be denying them any revenue.
3) We'd be using the whole work but it's a single logo
4) Our use would not diminish the value of the logo to the commonwealth of Kentucky, nor would it mislead any consumers into thinking something is associated or affiliated with them which isn't (a key consideration when dealing with trademarks specifically) - we're using their logo to identify their road.

If we're still concerned, we could always use the old shields that lack the Unbridled Spirit logo. ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:19:54 pm by Duke87 »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2021, 07:52:30 pm »
Suggestion on the usausb routes that have the A or B suffix in their shields: leave them in usausb, but remove the banner field, and add the suffix to the route name.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2021, 09:27:47 pm »
Downvote.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 01:38:28 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2021, 12:38:12 am »

The states I maintain use banners pretty much everywhere; since I'm from SD US 14A and US 16A are suffixed but all other usausb routes use banners.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton