Author Topic: New page: routes traveled by number  (Read 12735 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
New page: routes traveled by number
« on: January 03, 2022, 11:53:04 pm »
A suggestion was made on AARoads in https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24342.msg2694805#msg2694805 to make a web front-end version of the code that gets routes by number.  I got going on it, turns out it was pretty simple.

The new page user/routesbynumber.php is now just on tmdevel but once some eyes have had a chance to check it out and report problems and offer suggestions, I'll put it on the main site and link from user/index.php.

Comments welcome.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
Re: New page: routes traveled by number
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 06:46:34 am »
Looks good, if a little visually odd with the plain white table.

I'll second Oscar's point about '0'. There are legit route zeros in Belgium, Czechia and Hungary. The others are unnumbered and ought to be listed at the bottom of the table (if at all?) under '-' or some other N/A descriptor.

There's also some false positives where a named road has a number in it, like T5 Spur (the spur of the motorway network to Heathrow Terminal 5), or MKAD2 (the 2nd Minsk Motorway Ring)

My score of 69 is surprisingly good, looking at that thread and seeing how low ranked, generally, I am in travels. It's also quite nice to be able to see the highest number I've travelled on (8008 - my travels seem to be rather childishly dirty!).

----
"TM is chock full of toys for subsets of the userbase!"

Are there toys for other similar games that use our database and user data that could also be implemented?

How about a stat for how many unique numbers has someone travelled on? (and in a 4-digit only variant, I think I might win - certainly top 5. Thanks GB numbering scheme!) Could be put on the same page as it is a similar game.

There's also how many different prefixes you've done (not the same as how many systems as many systems share prefixes like A, B, N or D, and others have several prefixes, like in Spain), but that might be a bit harder to implement.

And then there's the "have I done every route with that number game". It's a little meaningless with higher numbers that are likely to be unique, and with the global nature of the TM database would be rather impossible, but filters and the like to get it down to something meaningful allowing you to say something along the lines of "hey, I've done part of every route 1 in the US and Canada" sounds like a fun game.

----

There's the general geekery stuff that doesn't use user data - roads of same numbers but different type meeting each other (excluding banners), concurrency stats (longest, most), nodes with the most branches out of them, what numbers don't have roads attached to them?, etc. Would pages for them be a good idea?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 06:55:54 am by si404 »

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:19:30 am
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 06:56:42 am »
Would it be useful to put the missing route numbers in its own table?

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 09:40:40 am »
Bug: Zero also outputs O and o ???

https://tmdevel.teresco.org/user/routesbynumber.php?u=terescoj

Code: [Select]
ONQEW, ONGar, TCH, OreMot, AtlCityExpy, BeltPkwy, BerCon, BroRivPkwy, CroCouPkwy, DalNorTlwy, EveTpk, FLTpk, FDRooDr, GarStaPkwy, GraCenPkwy, HarRivDr, HenHudPkwy, HutRivPkwy, InnLoop, JamWhiPkwy, JohnKilTpk, LakeOntPkwy, MTAppRd, MilPkwy, NJTpk, PalIntPkwy, PenaBlvd, PreBidExpy, RalChaExpy, SawMillPkwy, ScaCon, SolFieRd, SprBroPkwy, StoDr, TacStaPkwy, VetMemPkwy, VetPkwy, WanStaPkwy, CadSumRd, ParkLpRd, MainParkRd, BadLpRd, BalWasPkwy, SouRimDr, BlueRidPkwy, LinFalRd, IslSkySceDr, CraCrkRd, CraLakeHwy, CraLakeRimDr, ParkRd, DevTowRd, GWMemPkwy, TetParkRd, CliDomeRd, CraRd, ChaCraRd, CraRimDr, RocMemPkwy, CaveCityRd, MamCavePkwy, SteCynRd, BriViewDr, PetForRd, LoopRd, EastRivRd, SceLpDr, DunDr, EEntRd, GraLpRd, NorCynRd, NEntRd, NEEntRd, SEntRd, WEntRd, AudPkwy, GarExpy, RingRd, DtAlpStr, BearMtnPkwy, KorWarPkwy, MosPkwy, SevLakDr

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 09:44:08 am »
Bug: Zero also outputs O and o ???
It's anything that doesn't use the numbers 1-9.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 09:48:48 am »
And then there's the "have I done every route with that number game". It's a little meaningless with higher numbers that are likely to be unique, and with the global nature of the TM database would be rather impossible, but filters and the like to get it down to something meaningful allowing you to say something along the lines of "hey, I've done part of every route 1 in the US and Canada" sounds like a fun game.

Like! With filter "All regions" / "Regions I've traveled" and filter "Traveled" / "Clinched".

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:56:25 am »
This is fun, even if it gives me something new to obsess over:

Missing numbers: 525 673 688 738 767 793 809 813 816 831 843 853 877 887 918 929 939 942 945 959 962 963 972

I've been on OH 767 but unfortunately it's not signed.
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 10:12:33 am »

Missing numbers: 525 673 688 738 767 793 809 813 816 831 843 853 877 887 918 929 939 942 945 959 962 963 972

If you can scrounge up a 525 somewhere near you, you can jump into the game. and go straight to the top, overtaking me at 609. That will make Rothman (leader of the "get Oscar" brigade) very happy.

My own 525 is in Washington state, but maybe you can find something farther east.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 10:24:59 am »
If you can scrounge up a 525 somewhere near you, you can jump into the game. and go straight to the top, overtaking me at 609. That will make Rothman (leader of the "get Oscar" brigade) very happy.

My own 525 is in Washington state, but maybe you can find something farther east.

KY 525 looks like the best candidate. No plans to head out to that part of Kentucky anytime soon, though. From looking at the Wikipedia "List of highways numbered xxx" pages, it seems that there may be some numbers below 1000 with no signed routes at all, at least in North America.
Clinched:

Offline jayhawkco

• Last Login:February 05, 2024, 01:16:11 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 03:41:20 pm »
Jim, I posted this in the aaroads thread, but it might have gotten missed.  Any way that the specific highways that pop up could be linked to their highway browser entries?  Useful for understanding how you've been on a route if it was concurrent with something else.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 04:13:25 pm »
Jim, I posted this in the aaroads thread, but it might have gotten missed.  Any way that the specific highways that pop up could be linked to their highway browser entries?  Useful for understanding how you've been on a route if it was concurrent with something else.

It is possible but could complicate things a bit for connected routes.

If you'd like to see every segment TM credited for you based on a concurrency, there's a massive log file generated on each site update available here: https://travelmapping.net/logs/concurrencies.log

It's much easier to deal with outside of a browser by logging into the server and using grep.  If you wanted a copy of your account's entries, I can grep out the section and email it on request.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 04:23:14 pm »

How so? Doesn't strike me as terribly difficult; am I missing something?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 04:39:08 pm »

How so? Doesn't strike me as terribly difficult; am I missing something?

Just more things to grab from the DB to have the root not just the route, and I'm asking for distinct route so for example I-35, I-35E, and I-35W would appear just once each, even though TM has three connected routes that are I-35 and two each of the others.  If we wanted every chopped route in the tables, that's one thing, but here I'm just trying to keep it simple with one of each unique route entry.

Offline osu-lsu

• Last Login:Yesterday at 05:54:12 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 05:20:55 pm »

Mr. Roth would change the name of the game from "Get Oscar" to "Catch the Geographer."  8)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 06:05:38 pm »
Missing numbers now in a table, looking slightly nicer.

Routes with no number in the label are now in a separate "unnumbered" row, allowing one to find a route with a 0 more easily.  This means 0 also shows up for most in the missing numbers list.