Author Topic: WI: WI-241 southern terminus needs to be extended  (Read 722 times)

Offline JoePCool14

• 50+ Clinches | 200+ Traveled
  • Last Login:April 07, 2023, 09:25:12 am
  • I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.
WI: WI-241 southern terminus needs to be extended
« on: April 20, 2022, 12:12:04 pm »
Good morning,

This is a pretty small request, but the south end of WI-241 may not be in the right location. According to multiple mapping websites and an official END sign posted in the field, the end should be at the interchange with I-41/94 (Exit 326). Currently, it is marked at ending at the T-intersection with Seven Mile Road. Standard practice for WisDOT is to place the END sign for a state route before the intersection it actually ends it to simplify signage.

The BGS on the interstate say "TO", but I believe that this is the erroneous signage in the area. Unless official WisDOT documents suggest otherwise.

JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
My Travel Mapping stats

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:05:07 am
Re: WI: WI-241 southern terminus needs to be extended
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 01:27:08 pm »
Has anything in the field changed since the conclusion of this thread (https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3989.0)?

Offline JoePCool14

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 02:40:46 pm »
Has anything in the field changed since the conclusion of this thread (https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3989.0)?

Thanks for pointing to that thread. I'm still pretty new to this whole thing, so I was unaware the subject had been discussed already.

I would have to go out there and look again to see if anything has changed, which I won't be able to do for a few weeks. I know that the BGS on the interstate still have "TO" on them though.

On a personal note, I don't think I have a preference either way. The only sign that seems to confirm it (based on GMSV) existing on Seven Mile Rd is the lone END sign.

My Travel Mapping stats

Offline nwi_irish96

• Last Login:October 27, 2023, 03:45:51 pm
  • formerly cabiness42
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 07:32:37 pm »
I was just there yesterday. The inconsistent signage is still there. The BGS on I-41/94 says "TO 241" and there is also a "TO 241" shield at the intersection of 7 Mile Rd and W Frontage Rd. However, the "END 241" sign is still there on the EB side of 7 mile Rd.

That END sign suggests that 241 continues on that short segment of 7 mile to the interstate.

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 12:41:36 am »
It appears this is new deve;opment. Still seems short of the Interstate though. Is there any evidence of signing in Racine County from 27th street to the I along 7 mile?

Seems that regardless of it - the county may have realized and recognized the highway.  The previous thread pointed to clear ambiguity along the road in Racine Co. as the original highway was abruptly converted to 2-lane with no indication of which direction WI-241 went (Elm or the reroute) and routed around to 7-mile when the Elm Road interchange was built.
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline JoePCool14

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 09:23:09 pm »
It appears this is new deve;opment. Still seems short of the Interstate though. Is there any evidence of signing in Racine County from 27th street to the I along 7 mile?

Seems that regardless of it - the county may have realized and recognized the highway.  The previous thread pointed to clear ambiguity along the road in Racine Co. as the original highway was abruptly converted to 2-lane with no indication of which direction WI-241 went (Elm or the reroute) and routed around to 7-mile when the Elm Road interchange was built.

I would argue that based on the END signage's placement alone, it is supposed to reach the interstate. That is typical Wisconsin practice, to put the END sign a good bit before the actual end of the route.

Somebody should email WisDOT.  8)

My Travel Mapping stats

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 09:01:38 pm »
The route has been re-extended.

Offline JoePCool14

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 09:32:28 am »
The route has been re-extended.

Great, thank you for the update.

My Travel Mapping stats