Author Topic: Suggestion: US National Scenic Byways/All-American Roads  (Read 3870 times)

Offline whopperman

• Last Login:August 15, 2021, 04:23:36 pm
Suggestion: US National Scenic Byways/All-American Roads
« on: August 15, 2021, 04:23:36 pm »
Hi,
I love what you guys have done, it makes for a really handy way to track where I've been and help me find new places I want to go!

Would it be feasible to add a category for National Scenic Byways and All-American Roads? I know most of them are highways that are already in the system, but I'd love to try to track my progress on those routes specifically (and in many cases, like the closest two to where I live, the routes zigzag across a variety of highway designations, though some obviously keep the same number throughout).

Thanks again for all you guys do!

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
Re: Suggestion: US National Scenic Byways/All-American Roads
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 06:15:16 pm »
This is something that comes up regularly, but never gets off the ground.

Issues are:
  • being mostly concurrent with already mapped highways and so a lot of pain, for not a lot of gain for those creating and maintaining the systems
  • the routes often being rather complicated with loops and spurs off of a 'main' route - again a lot of work
  • sometimes patchy signage making it hard to clinch 'on the ground'
  • people wanting to tick off states not wanting these kinds of systems upsetting their stats (I almost want to add such systems because of this because I don't think this site is "gotta clinch 'em all", but I know I'm outnumbered) and so a site upgrade that allows the muting of systems is something that will have to happen before this
I've mapped out highways in the middle of nowhere that I know people won't claim from Siberia to the Congo. I've slogged out routings for usaush. I'm one of the biggest supporters of such a system on the collaborator side and I'm telling you all this to say that I drafted some of usaaar (not the larger usansb, but just the select subset that is "All-American Roads") and I didn't finish it as I got fed up within a couple of hours. And bare in mind 90% of the actual creation of files was just copying and pasting from already-done work.

There was talk a while back about taking some of the more well-defined usaush routes (which are usually Scenic Byways in their own right, though maybe only at state-level) and coupling them with the better defined Scenic Byway routes that have a fairly simple, well-defined route that covers multiple highways or mileage that is not already mapped. Great River Road, Colombia River Highway/His US30, US66, Las Vegas Strip, that sort of thing.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:27:32 am »
I've created two .list files covering all american roads and national scenic byways (which also has the AARs). I've not yet gone and fixed the nsb file (I've spent far too much time on this this week already), and there's a lot more of them and they are lower-status, so lets just look at the All American Roads:

Here's the status of each AAR in the browser. green means it's all there, blue means less than 10 miles is missing, orange means more than 10 miles is missing, and red means none of it is there.
  • A1A Scenic & Historic Coastal Byway
  • Acadia All American Road (missing about 350ft between Paradise Hill Road and ME3 (not worth bothering with adding, IMO))
  • Alaska's Marine Highway (is all ferries)
  • Beartooth Highway
  • Blue Ridge Parkway
  • Chesapeake Country Scenic Byway
  • Chinook Scenic Byway (Stephen Mather Memorial Parkway)
  • Colonial Parkway
  • Creole Nature Trail (missing 7.5 mile section along PR357)
  • Flaming Gorge - Green River Basin Scenic Byway
  • Florida Keys Scenic Highway
  • George Washington Memorial Parkway
  • Great River Road (note that Missouri and Mississippi sections are not 'All American Road')
  • Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway
  • Hells Canyon Scenic Byway
  • Historic Columbia River Highway
  • Historic National Road
  • Historic Route 66 - Arizona
  • Historic Route 66 - Missouri
  • International Selkirk Loop
  • Lakes to Locks Passage (some maps show it keeping to the mapped routes, rather than taking the local ones at the missing gap)
  • Las Vegas Strip (unsigned NV state route)
  • Natchez Trace Parkway
  • Newfound Gap Road Byway
  • North Shore Scenic Drive (missing 2.9 miles section in Duluth)
  • Northwest Passage Scenic Byway
  • Pacific Coast Scenic Byway
  • Red Rock Scenic Byway
  • Route 1, Big Sur Coast Highway
  • Route 1, San Luis Obispo North Coast Byway
  • San Juan Skyway
  • Selma to Montgomery March Byway (missing 0.7 mile section in Selma and 5 mile section in Montgomery)
  • Utah's Scenic Byway 12 - A Journey Through Time
  • Seward Highway
  • The Battle Road Scenic Byway (could this be added to usanp? It seems to be something closely linked to Minute Men NHS)
  • Trail Ridge Road/Beaver Meadow Road
  • Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway
  • Woodward Avenue (M-1) - Automotive Heritage Trail (missing 0.5 mile section in downtown Detroit)
Making separate routes for some of the green routes, where they run on several different routes, might make sense. But stuff like Route 1 in California, or Utah 12, is obviously duplication. And you also have stuff like Beartooth Highway (just US212), Pacific Coast Scenic Byway (just US101), or Florida Keys Scenic Highway (just US1). So even if we add routes, the likelihood of a full usaar system is low because there's so much duplication.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 08:46:37 pm »
Is it possible to have a route cross-relate into several sets?
For example, US 30HCol and Row would display as Hist. Col. Rv. Hwy in this All-American Scenic Byways set and as ORH 100 in a hypothetical ORH set without the need of multiple .wpt files.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 11:52:05 pm »
Not possible. Would need multiple files.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca