Highway Data Discussion > Solved Highway data updates

DC: Beach Drive

<< < (3/5) > >>

Duke87:
Right, okay, so this comes back to the distinction I drew before: Park Road is clinchable by motorized vehicle, even if not necessarily by one's own private automobile.

Are there any other examples besides M-185 of a road in TM that can only be clinched on foot or by bicycle?

Duke87:
Non-updating update: NPS decided to punt on making a final decision and has extended the closure to motorized traffic through Labor Day. So we won't have a final answer until the end of the summer at the earliest.

https://dcist.com/story/22/04/28/beach-drive-stays-closed-to-through-traffic/

si404:

--- Quote from: Duke87 on December 16, 2021, 09:25:00 pm ---Are there any other examples besides M-185 of a road in TM that can only be clinched on foot or by bicycle?
--- End quote ---
There's a few places where short distances don't allow motorised vehicles. Longer pedestrianisations I've tended to cut routes at*, but stuff like this where the A3000 ends on the A205, but the last 100ft or so is closed to motor traffic, I've kept the graph connection (not least as the 100ft is still part of the A3000).

*Off the top of my head, the A6 in Manchester. And I got rid of the A344 near Stonehenge years before it was actually downgraded, because it had banned motor vehicles and its junction with the A303 had been stopped up (and much more so than the A3000 one - the roadway was removed with just a unpaved path along the line - some might remain).

IMGoph:
For what it's worth, NPS recommended this week that the aforementioned section of Beach Drive be opened for motorized traffic most of the year (from Labor Day to Memorial Day) and kept for non-motorized traffic only during the summer months. It's not a final ruling yet, as most leaders in the District and Montgomery County are in favor of keeping the road restricted to non-motorized traffic year-round and intend to push back on this NPS finding.

Markkos1992:
After my walk-clinch of Beach Dr on Saturday, I am on the side of keeping the entire route in TM for the following reasons.

1.  Even if a permanent closure happens, the fact that there would still be drivable sections IMO makes it preferable to be left in TM as-is.  There are a couple brief drivable sections even in the closure area (Joyce Rd to Picnic Grove 10, and Wise Rd to West Beach Dr), and I believe that removing it would be more of a problem than a solution due to that.

2.  The MD Section would still be drivable so keeping that connection makes sense in principle.  Also I presume that the section from Rock Creek Pkwy to Broad Branch Rd will stay drivable as well.

3.  Of course, I do not want to lose that 4.4 mile walk clinch, but I am just being selfish.   ;D

Minor point concerns if Beach Dr stays:  https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=5116.msg28656#msg28656

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version