Author Topic: usanp (U.S. National Park Highways)  (Read 53890 times)

Offline dfilpus

• Last Login:Today at 06:33:20 pm
    • Filpus Roadgeek
Re: usanp (U.S. National Park Highways)
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2017, 02:52:01 pm »
When I looked at the roads in Kings Canyon National Park, I found that the Grant Grove segment of Kings Canyon Road (CA 180) is not included in usanp, presumably because it has CA 180 shields. However, it is not maintained by CalTrans, so it is not included in usaca, either. It should be in either usanp or usaca.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2017, 10:22:31 pm »
Yes, and it belongs in usanp. The Grant Grove segment route file is ca.kincanrd_gra.wpt, and should be in the Github master already even though it's not in the .csv files. I also have a local copy if needed.

Also, I suggest renaming that file to ca.kincanrd.wpt, after renaming the file already with that name to ca.kincanrd_ced.wpt  The Grant Grove segment of Kings Canyon Rd. is used by all visitors to the park; the Cedar Grove segment is used only by those going out to the end of the highway, and is closed much of the year due to snow. In any case, the csvs should indicate that the KinCanRd segments are in different parts of the park.

One other option is a single KinCanRd file that includes the Grant Grove and Cedar Grove segments of Kings Canyon Rd., and the part of CA 180 connecting them.

I can go ahead and implement those changes, as well as a conforming relabel in the Generals Highway file (CA180 -> KinCanRd), when I have time while on the road.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:50:13 pm by oscar »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2017, 11:22:34 pm »
No underscores in filenames though. Just concatenate the abbrev to what would otherwise be the root.
EG, fl.fltpkmia.wpt, and not fl.fltpk_mia.wpt.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 04:05:10 am »
I've made this system preview, so that people can clinch routes, see them on graphs, etc.

Offline dfilpus

• Last Login:Today at 06:33:20 pm
    • Filpus Roadgeek
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2017, 10:32:54 am »
Could the Bryce Canyon Scenic Drive be broken up a little? It's 15.74 miles without a visible waypoint. I've driven much of the road, but have never been all the way out to Rainbow Point, so I can get no mileage in the park. The road to Bryce Point would make a natural waypoint. I think that the farthest we were in was Natural Bridge.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:00 am »
Could the Bryce Canyon Scenic Drive be broken up a little?
Absolutely.
The road to Bryce Point would make a natural waypoint.
It will be called BryPoiRd
I think that the farthest we were in was Natural Bridge.
I put a point there too: NatBri

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51:27 pm »
On Hawaii's Crater Rim Drive, part of the loop is omitted. That part seems to coincide with the area park maps indicate is currently closed due to volcanic activity. But AFAIK that closure is only indefinite, not necessarily permanent, and indeed in 2012 part of the originally closed part of the road was reopened to foot traffic.

I drove the entire loop on one of my first visits to Hawaii ca. 2000. It may be reopened in its entirety, if the crater area calms down again. I would treat the current closure as temporary, and add the rest of the loop.

Also, VocObs => VolObs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:53:40 pm by oscar »

Offline NickCPDX

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:January 29, 2024, 05:33:52 pm
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 11:36:28 am »
Suggestion on BadRd - Add waypoints for Harry Wade Rd, Badwater, Artists Drive N and S, West Side Rd N and S, Devils Golf Course Rd, Natural Bridge.

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 09:35:43 pm »
In Oregon, Pinnacles Road in Crater Lake NP has as its start point on Rim Drive the label PinRd.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 07:52:25 am »
On Hawaii's Crater Rim Drive, part of the loop is omitted. That part seems to coincide with the area park maps indicate is currently closed due to volcanic activity. But AFAIK that closure is only indefinite, not necessarily permanent, and indeed in 2012 part of the originally closed part of the road was reopened to foot traffic.

I drove the entire loop on one of my first visits to Hawaii ca. 2000. It may be reopened in its entirety, if the crater area calms down again. I would treat the current closure as temporary, and add the rest of the loop.

I'd like to see that added as well. I drove the entire loop in March 2004 and would love to note that on my maps. I'm somewhat skeptical that the route will ever open again, though if conditions change, it could happen. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.  ;)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »

I'd like to see that added as well. I drove the entire loop in March 2004 and would love to note that on my maps. I'm somewhat skeptical that the route will ever open again, though if conditions change, it could happen. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.  ;)
I've done this and it will come soon.

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2017, 09:13:20 pm »
I know this isn't a national park road, but one that could be considered - Woodlands Trace National Scenic Byway.  This (nor the land within) are managed by NPS - instead by US Forest Service, but it is a good park route that goes through the Land Btw The Lakes NRA in both Kentucky and Tennessee - also known (and marked as in OSM/Mapnick) as "The Trace".

Your call.
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline charliezeb

• Last Login:January 25, 2024, 07:15:30 pm
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2018, 10:29:49 pm »
New contributor to the forum, pointing out a potential problem with Old Mine Rd (nj.oldminerd) in this system. Tried to clinch it yesterday (just as a motorist) and ran into a literal roadblock in Sandyston Twp, just north of Kuhn Rd (KuhnRd, waypoint 11). It's not well-paved between there and Walpack Rd (WalRd, waypoint 13), and apparently it enters private property (which is why a roadblock exists - guy doesn't want folks like us wandering through his lot). I've contacted the township to verify that it is private property. If so, I'd recommend rerouting a clinchable route along Kuhn Rd and Walpack Rd, both of which are well paved (though Old Mine Rd itself between Pompey Rd (PomRd, waypoint 10) and Kuhn Rd is in bad shape).

-- Charlie O'Reilly (Rutherford, NJ)

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2018, 01:41:55 am »
The NPS map indicates that Old Mine Rd is unpaved between Pompey Rd and Walpack Rd, the stretch that you said was rough.  The NPS tiles map even indicates that stretch is a dirt road as it is labeled "Old Mine Dirt".  So there probably does need to be a rethink about that.