User Discussions > How To?

More Git troubleshooting

<< < (2/3) > >>

michih:
I use GitHub Desktop 3.3.4.0. I've downloaded it from https://desktop.github.com/

However, only version 1.1.1 can be found now. I read "completely redesigned". I think there's an old and a new one?
I had a problem last December and had to re-installed GitHub Desktop. I found a totally different new version but couldn't get it running. Both have the same name: "GitHub Desktop".
I finally found the old installation at the link above and I still use the "old" one.

Is anyone using the "new" version 1.1.1 and can help jwood.ok? Or does anyone know where to find the "old" version?

Note: 3.3.4.0 is the old version, 1.1.1 is the new version :D

wphiii:
Hi, apologies if this thread isn't intended for general troubleshooting, but it seems whatever I'm doing on GitHub is no longer actively reflecting to whatever .list file the Travel Mapping site is pulling from. I've been attempting to make my first update in several months over the past few days, and as far as I know I've done everything the same as I always have, except the only difference I'm noticing is that now there are two possible options when I go to commit changes to my .list file in the TM GitHub repository: one is "Commit directly to the MASTER branch," (which I don't believe was an option before) and the other is "Create a new branch for this commit and start a pull request." I have tried both, while waiting a full update cycle or two (per the timestamp in the log file on travelmapping.net), and neither option seems to be incorporating my most recent changes. Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thanks!

oscar:

--- Quote from: wphiii on January 07, 2020, 02:41:17 pm ---One is "Commit directly to the MASTER branch," (which I don't believe was an option before) and the other is "Create a new branch for this commit and start a pull request." I have tried both, while waiting a full update cycle or two (per the timestamp in the log file on travelmapping.net), and neither option seems to be incorporating my most recent changes. Any advice would be hugely appreciated,
--- End quote ---

The second option is the right one. But it only starts a pull request. You then get a screen from which you can review and submit the pull request. As first, I sometimes forgot that second step.

wphiii:

--- Quote from: oscar on January 07, 2020, 03:02:00 pm ---
--- Quote from: wphiii on January 07, 2020, 02:41:17 pm ---One is "Commit directly to the MASTER branch," (which I don't believe was an option before) and the other is "Create a new branch for this commit and start a pull request." I have tried both, while waiting a full update cycle or two (per the timestamp in the log file on travelmapping.net), and neither option seems to be incorporating my most recent changes. Any advice would be hugely appreciated,
--- End quote ---

The second option is the right one. But it only starts a pull request. You then get a screen from which you can review and submit the pull request. As first, I sometimes forgot that second step.

--- End quote ---

I'm positive I have been following through with submitting the pull request (at least, I have been doing it for 3-4 years now, so I'd be surprised if that were the issue, but it's certainly possible). I am noticing some more differences in the process, though, compared to what used to happen, so I'm hoping maybe someone can shed some light on which step(s) I'm getting wrong now:

First, on the initial file edit screen, it now asks me to name a "new branch" which, by default, consists of myusername-patch-x (where x is the sequential number of times I've tried this). Before, I believe it was just naming things "patch-x" so this may simply be an automatic change purely in nomenclature, but the inclusion of my username also makes me wonder if maybe my pull request is now going to a different place entirely that Jim or whoever can't see.

Then, I get to the create pull request screen, which looks familiar enough.

But THEN, on the final screen, I now have the option to merge the pull request myself? Which I don't remember ever having the capability of doing before. I may have gone ahead and done this on my first couple of attempts, because big green buttons are appetizing. Should I not be doing this? Does it make a difference?

For now, I'm not going to hit the big green button, since that appears to be the only decision tree option left that I don't think I've tried yet.

michih:

--- Quote from: oscar on January 07, 2020, 03:02:00 pm ---The second option is the right one.
--- End quote ---

Maybe that's an option but the normal way is "Commit directly to the master branch", see manual: http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=2267.msg8175#msg8175

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version