Author Topic: September 7-8 Downtime  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
September 7-8 Downtime
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:49:35 am »
Travel Mapping's server suffered an extended outage from the evening of September 7 to the morning of September 8.  The server is also used for class work, and it appears some student programs got out of control creating processes, resulting in the system running out of processes and memory.  All should be back to normal now.

Offline osu-lsu

• Last Login:Yesterday at 05:54:12 pm
Re: September 7-8 Downtime
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 11:38:51 am »
Out of curiosity, is there somewhere (preferably) on AAroads, or social media, we can (call) write in with notices of travelmapping being down?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 12:01:29 pm »
I update https://travelmapping.github.io/ with any information when TM's main site and/or forum are unavailable.

It's always linked from TM's main page, but obviously that link doesn't do much good when TM is down, so you'll want to save it somewhere.

For a more extended outage, I'd post to AAroads too.  But since I was confident that things would get quickly back to normal once I gained physical access to the machine this morning, I didn't take that step.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:42:59 pm »
A change now in place should keep any individual user from consuming enough resources to cause a repeat of this problem.  "Normal" users, like TM people running datachecks, should not notice any difference.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 10:27:09 am »
It's always linked from TM's main page, but obviously that link doesn't do much good when TM is down, so you'll want to save it somewhere.
Google has a cached version of the home page, so accessing that will also reveal the link.  In any case, I have it as part of my "Travel Tracking" bookmark folder, along with my user page, the GitHub project, and this forum (the folder is so named because I also put my bookmark to the Mob-Rule county tracking site there too).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.