Author Topic: New Mapview on tmtest  (Read 11191 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
New Mapview on tmtest
« on: June 05, 2020, 09:45:34 pm »
A new version of Mapview is available for testing on tmtest.  It's getting much closer to the vision I've had for it for a long time.  Here's the quick summary:

• A new mini control panel now resides at the top of the map.  This includes
    • a "Jump" button to bring up the Scrollable Mapview popup to go immediately to another location and/or zoom level, and should be populated with the current location and zoom level
    • A toggle to show/hide the Routes Table
    • A toggle to enable/disable always updating map contents during pan/zoom.
  • rg=, sys= QS params (or both) are supported on initial load.  By default, the auto-updating during pan/zoom is not enabled.
  • A message appears while the browser is waiting for data from the DB or processing it for presentation. It's ugly but you can't miss it.
  • v QS param without rg= or sys= gives the Scrollable Mapview functionality that went into production earlier this week.

I think this allows for some nice functionality. 

• If you want to pan and zoom somewhere but not Jump, and don't want to wait for a bunch of reloads, you can uncheck the always update, pan and zoom to where you want, then check it again to load the data.
  • If you want to load a region but have routes in neighboring routes loaded also, just add the v QS param, or check the update map contents after the initial load.

There are also some things not yet done.

• I have not yet added rte= support, pending some discussions in the thread I created earlier today.  I am unconvinced that it's useful.
  • I have not yet added country= support.  That won't be hard.  For many countries, this would lead to excessive load times, but I expect some will still like to have it.
  • I'll add user and units selectors in the new control panel unless there's an outcry not to crowd out the map.
  • The routes table either shouldn't have the "visible segments" columns if rg= and/or sys= are specified, or the "visible segments" columns need to have their functionality changed from summarizing what's loaded onto the map including parts that are off the sides to only including what's really on the map.

I'm sure there are glitches.  Please give it a try and let me know both the good and the bad.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: New Mapview on tmtest
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:27:01 pm »
http://tmtest.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=harvey&v works, but
http://tmtest.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=harvey does not.

I input a location, E.G. "portsmouth NH" and click OK, and the "Loading Data..." msg remains indefinitely, with no signs of progress.

I have not yet added rte= support, pending some discussions in the thread I created earlier today.  I am unconvinced that it's useful.
Very useful IMO, and a feature I use frequently. I'll post more in the other thread.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:01:33 pm »
http://tmtest.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=harvey&v works, but
http://tmtest.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=harvey does not.

I input a location, E.G. "portsmouth NH" and click OK, and the "Loading Data..." msg remains indefinitely, with no signs of progress.

The progress was very quick - no data was loaded, which resulted in the message remaining.  In any case, I've just fixed it so if no rg= or sys= (or later, rte= or country=) are specified, it forces the behavior as if the v QS parameter was there so we see something at least.

Quote from: yakra
I have not yet added rte= support, pending some discussions in the thread I created earlier today.  I am unconvinced that it's useful.
Very useful IMO, and a feature I use frequently. I'll post more in the other thread.

OK, should be easy enough to get the old behavior, or at least most of it.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:23:18 pm »
Added feature: dropdowns to color segments by system (original behavior), number of concurrent segments, or all black, and to highlight traveled, untraveled, all, or no segments.

More to come.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:53:03 pm »
I think I'm falling in love with this version of mapview.  The box to enable/disable data update is REALLY useful, and makes it possible to browse TM data the same way one would browse Google Maps.

One thing I have noticed: disabling data update, scrolling to another continent, and then enabling data update can result in a state where the update gets hung and no data loads (this is also the case if you scroll somewhere not contiguous with currently visible data in the one live on the main site); in that case, using the jump function and searching for the location you want is necessary to get data displaying again.

I've been loving the highlight and coloring options.  It's really great for browsing what routes are around in different locations, even in regions I haven't traveled in.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 08:53:01 pm »
Another long-time personal wish list item is in.  You can now color by number of TM users who have traveled each segment.  It's another option in the dropdown for how to choose colors.  It uses a similar color scale as in the tables with blue being many (relative to visible data, so the most-traveled route will show up as blue) down through the greens, yellows, oranges, to red being few travelers.  Special cases of purple for 1 (a TM "pioneer") and gray for 0 (not yet relevant to any TM user).

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 10:33:32 pm »
Noted a couple problems: the more complicated queries to get traveler counts seems to have changed the order in which segments come out and has broken the code in new Mapview that merges segments across hidden waypoints, and moving around on the map can sometimes break the color scheme based on traveler counts...

Edit: both were fixed late Saturday evening.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:32:08 am by Jim »

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 07:27:54 am »
At first I was a little bit skeptical that scrolling map would be useful, but the number of times I've loaded the whole of England (which is a lot) to just look at one small area.

I prefer trying to find broken concurrencies with mapview as the interface is easier than HDX, so the addition of graph data like concurrencies is really good - I can check for broken concurrencies with ease.

I never particularly cared about the number of travelers, but scrolling around South East England and seeing a variety of colors - even on minor routes/Central London routes that people probably walked rather than drove - including quite a bit of purple that isn't me (though I do have a lot of purple), and not big chunks of grey - is rather encouraging.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 12:16:53 pm »
Fun (to me, anyway) new feature just now:

In any popup when you click on a connection, if you click on the "X Travelers" line and subsequently hover over it, you get the list of travelers of that segment.  If you hover before clicking, you get instructions to do so.  It's done this way to avoid what seems to be an expensive operation to get all that info up front, but really quick to get for individual segments on-demand.  Open to ideas of a better UI, subject to the requirement that the user would need to take some action to trigger loading of the data to prevent lots of apache and DB hits to load info that wouldn't be used in many cases.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 12:45:14 pm »
Fun (to me, anyway) new feature just now:

Thanks :) I already missed this feature the earlier today. Is it possible to open the list with the click? It's a little bit tricky right now.

And about the location selection window... I'm used to press Enter after selection from HDX. Is it possible to execute the "Press to search and set coordinats" command with Enter from the input field?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 01:31:06 pm »
Is it possible to open the list with the click? It's a little bit tricky right now.

Yes, that's what I'd like.  I probably need to implement a custom tooltip rather than relying on the title attribute to have more control over.  https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/468

And about the location selection window... I'm used to press Enter after selection from HDX. Is it possible to execute the "Press to search and set coordinats" command with Enter from the input field?

Just figured it out and it's on tmtest.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 02:05:48 pm »
Very addicting! Love the new features.

@Jim, since you indicated before that this was not your intention, I'll point out again that devel routes (cannf, mexsf, probably others) are still visible.
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 03:06:26 pm »
Very addicting! Love the new features.

@Jim, since you indicated before that this was not your intention, I'll point out again that devel routes (cannf, mexsf, probably others) are still visible.

Thanks!

I believe I just put in the fix to filter out devel routes.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 03:54:36 pm »
I believe I just put in the fix to filter out devel routes.

That was quick. Not seeing them anymore.
Clinched:

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 04:57:41 pm »
Open to ideas of a better UI, subject to the requirement that the user would need to take some action to trigger loading of the data to prevent lots of apache and DB hits to load info that wouldn't be used in many cases.
Is it possible to open the list with the click? It's a little bit tricky right now.
Not terribly often, but occasionally when using traveled graphs in the HDX I'd find myself wishing for something (Dialog box? Alert?) I could highlight & copy, for debug purposes.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca