Author Topic: MD: Scenic US 40 Question  (Read 1915 times)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 05:16:56 pm
    • New York State Roads
MD: Scenic US 40 Question
« on: October 21, 2023, 09:37:08 am »
Poking around in street view, I noticed that signage is inconsistent around the east end of MD US40ScePin.  Westbound is signed as we have it in TM, yet eastbound doesn't appear to show the turn to end at I-68, and has the end shield a block to the east.  Is there a way of verifying which is correct?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline cockroachking

• Last Login:Yesterday at 12:56:21 pm
Re: MD: Scenic US 40 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 09:41:57 pm »
MDOT SHA GIS shows that MD144 as mapped is correct In GSV, I only see the one US-40 Scenic End sign disputing what is mapped, so I guess SHA/Washington County just put it in the wrong place.

Thus, I would vote "no-build."

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:25:53 am
Re: MD: Scenic US 40 Question
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 10:04:08 pm »
It's worth noting here that US 40 Scenic is not actually a state highway. And thus, SHA has no official definition of it. The HLR log doesn't even mention it at the MD 144 intersection, it's just "CO 1036 NATIONAL PIKE".

So, signs are all we really have to go by, and, well, in the face of some slight inconsistency I'm inclined to stick with the logical option of having the route actually return to US 40 itself rather than randomly end a tenth of a mile or so past the turnoff to it.

Either way it has a short MD144 concurrency so no clinchable mileage is gained or lost.