User Discussions > How To?

More Git troubleshooting

(1/3) > >>

jwood.ok:
Hey all, new user here.  I've done updates via email.  I've tried to do some through github, but Jim has let me know that apparently they always report a conflict.  Even so, I can take that same file from my repo and email it to him and it seems to work.

Initially, my process was entirely on the git hub website:

* I created a fork of the main travelmapping / userdata files
* In my own file on my fork, edit it with latest changes. 
* Create a pull request, which I believe would sync it back up with the master branch.
Since then, I've now installed github desktop client on my computer, so now i'm working on local files, which is nice.  I've done quite a bit of work, so I've had a few times where I've committed.  I believe there is a push origin button, which looks like it has synced my file back up to my fork.  So I think we are good there.  But now what do I do to make sure this works and doesn't have conflicts?  If I log into my for, it says "This branch is 4 commits ahead, 41 commits behind TravelMapping:master."

Sorry for all the trouble.  The sad thing is, I'm an IT guy ...but I'm not a developer, still, you'd think I'd figure it out!  :D

michih:

--- Quote from: jwood.ok on April 14, 2018, 09:18:04 pm ---Initially, my process was entirely on the git hub website:
--- End quote ---

Please refer to this description: http://tm.teresco.org/forum/index.php?topic=2267.msg8175#msg8175

--- Quote from: jwood.ok on April 14, 2018, 09:18:04 pm ---Since then, I've now installed github desktop client on my computer, so now i'm working on local files, which is nice.
But now what do I do to make sure this works and doesn't have conflicts?
--- End quote ---

* First, you need to select the "UserData" repository on the left - I guess it's your only one.
* You have to wait a few minutes till the "Update from TravelMapping/master" button on top is white on black instead of grey on black.
* Then, press the "Update from TravelMapping/master" button!
* Enter a summary on botton and press "Commit to master" button
* Press "Sync" button on the right and wait a few seconds
* Press "Pull request"
* Enter a title (instead of "Master"), e.g. your user name or trip short description
* Press "Send pull request"
You can edit your file just before "commit to master" or earlier. It doesn't matter.

I didn't "Update from TravelMapping/master" for a long time but sometimes I had conflicts like you. For that reason, I always wait till the damn button text color turns to white now.

yakra:

--- Quote ---"This branch is 4 commits ahead, 41 commits behind TravelMapping:master."
--- End quote ---
I don't think this should be a problem. It just means that other people's list files are getting updated in the master branch, and their files have not been merged into yours, which you won't need to worry about.

jwood.ok:

--- Quote from: michih on April 15, 2018, 04:27:06 am ---
--- Quote from: jwood.ok on April 14, 2018, 09:18:04 pm ---Initially, my process was entirely on the git hub website:
--- End quote ---

Please refer to this description: http://tm.teresco.org/forum/index.php?topic=2267.msg8175#msg8175

--- Quote from: jwood.ok on April 14, 2018, 09:18:04 pm ---Since then, I've now installed github desktop client on my computer, so now i'm working on local files, which is nice.
But now what do I do to make sure this works and doesn't have conflicts?
--- End quote ---

* First, you need to select the "UserData" repository on the left - I guess it's your only one.
* You have to wait a few minutes till the "Update from TravelMapping/master" button on top is white on black instead of grey on black.
* Then, press the "Update from TravelMapping/master" button!
* Enter a summary on botton and press "Commit to master" button
* Press "Sync" button on the right and wait a few seconds
* Press "Pull request"
* Enter a title (instead of "Master"), e.g. your user name or trip short description
* Press "Send pull request"
You can edit your file just before "commit to master" or earlier. It doesn't matter.

I didn't "Update from TravelMapping/master" for a long time but sometimes I had conflicts like you. For that reason, I always wait till the damn button text color turns to white now.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I'm understanding you.  In your instructions are you talking about from the website or from a a client.  I'm not seeing the "Update from TravelMapping/master" button

michih:

--- Quote from: jwood.ok on April 15, 2018, 11:58:13 pm ---I'm not sure I'm understanding you.  In your instructions are you talking about from the website or from a a client.  I'm not seeing the "Update from TravelMapping/master" button
--- End quote ---

I talk about the desktop client. "Update from TravelMapping/master" is "2"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version