Author Topic: CO: CO 40 does not appear to have a gap between Agate and Deer Trail  (Read 1754 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:45:25 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
I drove CO 40 today (outside of the Limon bit) and there didn't appear to be a gap between Agate and Deer Trail. There was no end sign, and there were still mileposts. Unless anyone has any objections, I'll merge the Agate and main sections and fill in the gap soon. 
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline US 89

• Last Login:Yesterday at 05:25:08 pm
Re: CO: CO 40 does not appear to have a gap between Agate and Deer Trail
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 08:18:38 am »
Those may be remnant mileposts from a time when they did connect. According to CDOT’s Highway Data Explorer, SH 40 does not exist between CR-42/Wall Rd south of Deer Trail and the point north of Agate where the frontage road leaves the main I-70 ROW.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 11:16:24 am »
I don't know, I drove it expecting there to be two distinct segments and saw nothing to indicate that fact. No "End" signs, no pavement changes, nothing. There were still new-ish CDOT style speed limit signs along the gap stretch (didn't pay very close attention). Additionally, the Highway Data Explorer says there's another gap between Deer Trail and Byers, but that gap has reassurance shields on it that were still there as of Sunday, and also says that this route is US 40 not CO 40.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:18:38 am by the_spui_ninja »
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:09:13 am
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 12:15:53 pm »
Those may be remnant mileposts from a time when they did connect. According to CDOT’s Highway Data Explorer, SH 40 does not exist between CR-42/Wall Rd south of Deer Trail and the point north of Agate where the frontage road leaves the main I-70 ROW.
That's because frontage roads are sometimes inventoried as frontage roads, even when they form part of a route. The same problem exists east of Burlington, where US 24 "ends" but really continues on the frontage road.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 07:21:33 pm »
That's because frontage roads are sometimes inventoried as frontage roads, even when they form part of a route. The same problem exists east of Burlington, where US 24 "ends" but really continues on the frontage road.
That's what I was thinking after I saw the gap between Deer Trail and Byers which is still signed as the through route very well.