Author Topic: usatr: United States select tourist routes  (Read 3804 times)

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:27:03 am
Re: usatr: United States select tourist routes
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2024, 06:34:49 pm »
National Road in WV/PA:

Camino Road in WV, Old National Pike in PA

Old National Pike west of Washington

Old National Pike thru Centerville and east

Main Street thru Addison

Old Route 40 near the Maryland line

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:12:47 pm
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2024, 07:07:53 pm »
Also the BC routes need to be moved to a cantr system as those are not in the United States.
Breaking up a connected route because there's an international border there seems dumb. Either we tolerate an International Route in a USA system, or the system becomes natr.

I would be fine with making it natr.

Though, this plus the GSP/PIP drama keeping usanyp from being activated suggests to me that really the ideal would be to have it be possible to have connected routes that span multiple systems. But I can appreciate that this is probably not easy to implement without a massive rework of things due to how each system gets its own _con.csv.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2024, 08:21:08 pm »
MD National Road:

Eastbound uses Mulberry and westbound uses Locust in Hagerstown. Neither direction uses Potomac.

Eastbound in Frederick uses East Street, while MD 144 east continues to Franklin. But westbound is the same. So should the overlap be broken or not?

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2024, 08:54:31 pm »
I can't find any LCT shields in Lewiston ID, but another national scenic byway stays on US 12, so perhaps the LCT should too.

Another potential route: The Oregon Trail

Offline shiggins

• Last Login:Yesterday at 11:00:35 pm
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2024, 12:25:55 am »
The route of the Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway in Oregon between Fort Klamath and Klamath Falls is incorrect. Instead of following OR 62 all the way to U.S. 97, the VLSB leaves OR 62 and continues straight ahead in Fort Klamath, staying to the west of Agency Lake and Upper Klamath Lake before meeting OR 140, which it follows to U.S. 97. The signage matches the route shown on this map on the FHA's website.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:28:37 am by shiggins »

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2024, 01:18:18 am »
I see you added the National Road in Indiana; thanks. It should be split from US 40 for at least two blocks east of US 27 in Richmond, since the alignments are completely different.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2024, 02:29:06 am »
PA Lincoln Highway:

Wolfsburg Road west of Bedford

Cemetery Road west of Schellsburg

Strangely there's nothing on Old Lincoln Highway east of Stoystown.

Old Lincoln Highway west of Ligonier, coming in just before this sign on US 30

OH Lincoln Highway:
Lincoln Street in Hanoverton

Cindell Street west of Robertsville, and another piece (but of course not the stubs south of US 30)

Two routes are signed west of Mansfield. Here's an example of a sign along the southern route. As far as I can tell, it simply uses 430-309-19 to Bucyrus, but then jogs one block on Charles, ending at Washington Square.

Another old route is signed between Bucyrus and Upper Sandusky. It begins on Nevada-Winford Road and jogs north in Nevada to CH 182, ending on Reservoir Road.

Another old route is signed along 199-Crawford-53-81 between Upper Sandusky and Ada, then turns south on 235 and west on CR 60 (signs are missing but this is the route in the 1920 Automobile Blue Book). At Lima it probably comes in on North (the route in the 1920 Automobile Blue Book jogs south on Dewey to High, but that's been cut off) and then uses Main-McKibben and then north on West into 65 to 115 to rejoin the main route.

A special 1913 alignment uses 235-309-Bellefontaine-Market-Main between south of Ada and Lima.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2024, 05:05:12 am »
IN Lincoln Highway:

Old SR 2 east of Valpo

Otherwise it looks good.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 09:38:00 pm
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2024, 06:14:18 am »
There's another tour sign on Bridgewater Road west of SR 513, but I don't see any east of SR 513.
one here

Perhaps this should be a gap, since half of our route was never the National Road. Or take it on I-70 like https://gis3.dot.state.oh.us/ScenicByways/HNR.html shows,
I-70 would be a mistake, per the sign above. The PDF guide has the route off I-70, but with a break where it leaves the old alignment. Sadly there's no Streetview where the gap would be, so we can't check the bodge I did to avoid a gap (a touring route shouldn't have to only stick to the old route and then disappear - it should be a followable route - cf the signed twists crossing I-70 further west at Old Washington).

but there doesn't seem to be any signage to the east to and along SR 800 either.
There's this, which says OH800 is a byway (that signage was considered an error and abolished in 2022 according to AARW - however I can't check the source as Ohio DOT, like Iowa DOT, get around the EU's stupid cookie law that our stupid government haven't repealed by not allowing European access rather than spending a bit more money to have the stupid checkbox for European visitors) - ie it's a signo for the National Highway, using the generic instead of the specific.

Annoyingly the entirety of the Ohio River Scenic Byway in Ohio uses these signs, rather than the route specific one. Then again, Indiana uses the ORSB or LCTrl, or both, depending on what mood they are in and that's more complicated to deal with than the no build of 'it is not signed properly'!

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2024, 06:30:11 am »
I can't find any National Road signs in downtown Columbus OH;
This one at Front/Broad?
https://gis3.dot.state.oh.us/ScenicByways/HNR.html shows it using either Grant or Drexel, not 3rd/4th. https://www.franklincountyengineer.org/wp-content/uploads/PDF/TravelersGuide.pdf (p. 26) says the National Road originally used High and later moved to Drexel, giving Drexel as the route to follow now.
signed here on Main west of Drexel. I bodged it by having it jump from Main to National on the route that's in the browser, but it can move to Grant or High.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2024, 07:26:54 am »
MD National Road:

Eastbound uses Mulberry and westbound uses Locust in Hagerstown. Neither direction uses Potomac.

Eastbound in Frederick uses East Street, while MD 144 east continues to Franklin. But westbound is the same. So should the overlap be broken or not?
Here I've kept the overlaps along Mulberry (with US40Alt) and Patrick (with MD144) as concurrent with those routes, but this can be changed. Both existing routes are not well mapped.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:50:27 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2024, 10:38:47 am »
I can't find any LCT shields in Lewiston ID, but another national scenic byway stays on US 12, so perhaps the LCT should too.

Another potential route: The Oregon Trail
The Northwest Passage looks like an Idaho-only route.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:50:27 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2024, 11:14:22 am »
SD LCTrl is missing a point at Broadway Avenue in Pierre to match 14/83.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline osu-lsu

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:58:40 pm
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2024, 12:11:52 pm »

OH Lincoln Highway:
Lincoln Street in Hanoverton

Cindell Street west of Robertsville, and another piece (but of course not the stubs south of US 30)

Two routes are signed west of Mansfield. Here's an example of a sign along the southern route. As far as I can tell, it simply uses 430-309-19 to Bucyrus, but then jogs one block on Charles, ending at Washington Square.

Another old route is signed between Bucyrus and Upper Sandusky. It begins on Nevada-Winford Road and jogs north in Nevada to CH 182, ending on Reservoir Road.

Another old route is signed along 199-Crawford-53-81 between Upper Sandusky and Ada, then turns south on 235 and west on CR 60 (signs are missing but this is the route in the 1920 Automobile Blue Book). At Lima it probably comes in on North (the route in the 1920 Automobile Blue Book jogs south on Dewey to High, but that's been cut off) and then uses Main-McKibben and then north on West into 65 to 115 to rejoin the main route.

A special 1913 alignment uses 235-309-Bellefontaine-Market-Main between south of Ada and Lima.

Between Wooster and Bucyrus, there are two LH routings. There is the "main" LH route (which became US 30, before Ohio built their various expressway routings) and the 1913-1929 "original route.
The 1913 route follows (going east to west) US 250 from Wooster to Ashland, US 42 from Ashland to Mansfield, Oh 430/309 from Mansfield to Gallion, and Oh 19 from Gallion to Bucyrus. There is LH signage along these routes desinating the era they were part of the LH.

Offline shiggins

• Last Login:Yesterday at 11:00:35 pm
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2024, 01:04:31 pm »
The 1913 route follows (going east to west) US 250 from Wooster to Ashland, US 42 from Ashland to Mansfield,

Specifically, the 1913 route splits from the route we have in TM at Jefferson Road and crosses U.S. 250 to Silver Road/TR 4, before joining U.S. 250. It follows OH 96 into downtown Ashland, turns left onto Claremont Avenue, and then joins U.S. 42. The 1913 routing as shown at https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/ leaves U.S. 42 at TR 1455, but that turn is not signed because it quickly leads to a gap where the original roadbed is long gone. Instead, the signs follow the "second generation" route that leaves U.S. 42 a little further down the road at TR1688, which quickly rejoins with the 1913 route. It continues straight along Windsor Road back to U.S. 42. In Mansfield, the route supposedly turns onto 4th Street, but I could not find any signs at or near that turn.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 01:08:23 pm by shiggins »