User Discussions > How To?

Methodology for entering

<< < (3/7) > >>

dave1693:
When I first started putting my highways in (back in the CHM days), I couldn't go trip by trip because too much of it was all mashed together in my memory. So I broke my North America file into ten geographic areas, for ease of editing. Within each area, the states/provinces/territories included are also ordered semi-geographically; I don't expect that internal ordering to make sense to anyone but me.

I am giving serious consideration to going trip by trip from here on out, though. I'll see how it goes. (I am also working on adding Europe as an eleventh region, trying to work out my two journeys -- both over 30 years ago -- from hazy memory, a few things salvaged from the itineraries, and some 1984 maps where I vaguely kept track of the route traveled on my second trip.)

jwood.ok:
Yeah I definitely have some overlap.  I think I'm also missing a few concurrents.  On my oldest trips, I'm going back and tracking routes down based on pictures I took  ;D .  Looks like I may get all my backlog in about the time that I leave on a summer trip and add a bunch of new stuff!

Bickendan:
My way of doing it is by system then region.

Interstates
Aux. Interstates
US routes
Aux. US routes
State routes
TCH
Provincial routes
Europe routes
European national routes

CharlotteAllisonCDTG:
I totally agree.  I do the following:

Interstates
U.S. Highways
state highways (sorted by state)
foreign highways

oscar:
My ordering is roughly similar to Bickendan's. It's based largely on when route systems were added to CHM (which started with Interstates, then expanded into US routes and other systems) and TM.

-- Interstates (regular then business then future), by state with the states ordered more or less from west to east

-- provincial freeway systems (ON, QC, NS)

-- U.S. routes, ordered similar to Interstates with some variances in the state order depending on how hard it was to reconstruct my travels in those states

-- TCH

-- "select" freeway sets in the U.S., except numbered freeways sometimes got moved to state route sets when they went active or into preview

-- state/provincial routes, in order of when those route sets were rolled out in at least preview

-- national park and some historic highways, by state in more or less random order

-- Mexican and European routes go at the end, no matter when they were rolled out

There's enough inconsistency in my entry order that I often need to do a Wordpad search within my list file to find where in the file I put them, or where to add new entries.

One other thing I do is try to group together entries for a route within a state, in order of where they show up in the Highway Browser. That makes it easier for me to fold entries together when I fill the gaps between them. Some trips focused on such gap-filling shortened my list file while covering more mileage.

Also, I try to remove or avoid adding list file entries that are entirely concurrent with other routes (in early CHM days, we needed such duplicate entries, but now automatic multiplex detection makes them unnecessary). For example, many Texas Interstates are concurrent with U.S. routes, so I just list the U.S. routes without duplicate entries for the Interstates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version