Author Topic: ON: ON-66 bypass of Virginiatown  (Read 1193 times)

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
ON: ON-66 bypass of Virginiatown
« on: January 30, 2021, 01:32:09 am »
Seems that ON-66 was put onto a brand new bypass of Virginiatown around the end of 2017.

This reroute only affects one user, oscar.  So, you might want to see when you last visited this area and adjust your list file if need be.

This also affects ON TCH (Kirkland Lake) due to it being part of ON-66.

I'm currently working on other Ontario fixes (with help from somebody @ the Ontario MoT), but I'm going to get this one pushed right away because of being a major reroute, and not affecting any other routes that I'm working on fixing.

This will also include a shortening of ON-66 on it's western end to it's correct end point, but this affects nobody, as nobody has any mileage west of ON-11 on ON-66.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/issues/4519

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: ON: ON-66 bypass of Virginiatown
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:05:43 am »
Seems that ON-66 was put onto a brand new bypass of Virginiatown around the end of 2017.

This reroute only affects one user, oscar.  So, you might want to see when you last visited this area and adjust your list file if need be.

This also affects ON TCH (Kirkland Lake) due to it being part of ON-66.

My last visit to the Virginiatown area was well before 2017. The closest I came thereafter was in 2019, to deal with another TCH declinch in Rouyn-Noranda QC. But I cut south from there, to cross into Ontario on ON 65.

Yet another thing for me to reclinch, once the Canadian border reopens to tourist traffic.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 10:34:54 am »
Five at-grade intersections down to three, with the new road about as wide as the old. The only direct private property access was the one school, and a house right next to it.
The only reason I can conceive for this bypass to be necessary was to flatten out grades through town; maybe it was a problem for truckers? The area's lumpiness is most visible in Google Terrain view; grades aren't so apparent on the old alignment in GMSV, though we can see a WB passing lane (climbing lane). On the new alignment OTOH, we can see big rock cuts, especially where it ties in at the E end.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 02:13:37 am »
This is now live.