Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Auto Tour Guide for Nevada https://www.nps.gov/poex/planyourvisit/upload/Nevada-ATR-Guide-2018-Revision-Small.pdf says

The Pony Express Trail splits beyond Walley’s Hot Springs. The south alternate continues south and enters California near Fredericksburg, then swings west and crosses the Sierra Nevada at Luther Pass. This route was used only during the first six weeks of the Pony Express operations. The north alternate, the main Pony Route, goes west up the Kingsbury Grade and over Daggett Pass to Stateline, on the Nevada/California border. The two branches rejoin south of Lake Tahoe near Meyers, California. Tour choices here are:

To take a scenic 11-mile drive over Daggett Pass following the main (north) Pony Express route into Stateline, turn left from Walley’s Hot Springs and continue south toward Mottsville; then turn right onto NV207. The route is paved but steep and twisting. At the junction with NV207 with US 50, turn left and continue into Stateline. Note the Pony Express statue near the Nevada/California border at Stateline.

OR, to follow the initial (south) Pony Express alternate and the Carson Route into California, continue south from Walley’s Hot Springs on NV 206 through Mottsville. Approximately seven miles south of Mottsville, beyond Sheridan, turn right onto Fredericksburg/Foothill Road and enter California. Drive three miles to NV 88 and turn right onto Emigrant Trail Road/Carson Pass National Scenic Byway.

OR, to join the Walker River-Sonora Route into California, continue south from Walley’s Hot Springs on NV 206 for about a mile. Turn left onto NV 757, then right onto US 395. Just ahead, the highway splits. Bear left to stay on US 395 and conclude your trip with entry C-20. [Carson Valley Museum and Cultural Center (1477 US 395 N, Gardnerville, NV)]

There's definitely a sign on US50 south of NV207, but I've not seen stuff on NV207. I think I did look at the US395 route and didn't find anything. The NV88 route is signed, and in the browser. But obviously, given missing the signage at US395/Jacks, I was not the most alert when I did it!
I'll do some field checks over the next couple weeks. I work at the lake and can work any potential alignment into my commute.
The auto tour routes go north from Genoa NV on Jacks Valley Road (I think this was my bad for just saying SR 206).
No, it's my bad for looking and not seeing the signs at the north end of Jacks Valley Road, seeing 'Mormon Station' and treating it as a sign marking the nearby attraction rather than the route, and then seeing that the Mormon Station is signed from US50 taking the current route of OR206, rather than Jacks Valley Road. I'll fix it this morning.

If we want to be really technical, the Pony Express Trail branches, with one branch following modern US 50 through the Tahoe basin. This branch to the lake has several signs on both sides of the state line and there were multiple Pony Express stations along this other route.  In CA, it generally follows US 50 to Folsom. The southern branch, currently mapped, follows CA 88 and CA 89 to rejoin. When I get home from my current trip, I can do some more research and map this out. It is definitely signed in California, though. Few of these other signed routes would add significant mileage to the HB, as they tend to be signed along existing routes.

There are also "Pony Express Auto Tour Route" signs on the CA 24 expressway in Contra Costa County, which I confirmed today from BART. Yes, the Pony Express usually ended in Folsom or Sacramento, but it continued overland to Oakland about 20 times, and this is acknowledged.
I only found the one sign for the Tahoe route, but that doesn't mean there aren't more - if I found more, I'd include it (like with the Lincoln Highway).

Looking now, I found a couple of signs in California, but they are of the annoying 'Heh, the next mile is part of the original Pony Express route' type rather than the Auto Tour type that are designed to join up (if the signs are there, at least!).
Updates to Highway Data / CT: WilBroCon gained exit numbers
« Last post by rickmastfan67 on Today at 01:56:55 am »
CT71 -> 1
Updates to Highway Data / CT: I-91/I-291/CT-218 issue
« Last post by rickmastfan67 on Today at 01:49:33 am »
I-291:
1 -> 2 - Since we're 'ending' I-291 @ I-91 and not 'continuing' it along the ramps to CT-218 (which is Exit 1), I think we should 'reflect' the exit number for the I-91 ramps here instead.

I-91:
35 -> 35A
NEW -> 35B (for CT-218)

We're missing a genuine graph connection here for CT-218 with I-91.  Sure, it's barely north of the center point for I-291, but they are both completely separate interchanges here with all the possible movements.

Plus, CT-218's file already has a point for I-91 there.  Adding the same point into I-91's file would make complete sense here.
Updates to Highway Data / CT: CT-40 exit numbers
« Last post by rickmastfan67 on Today at 01:38:00 am »
I-91 -> 1A or 1B or 1C, pick your poison.

This is due to the US-5 exit being posted as '1' going NB, however, it's posted as '1D' going SB.
Updates to Highway Data / I-11 Nevada northern extension
« Last post by cl94 on Today at 01:07:39 am »
As of April 30, Nevada DOT has made the internal changes to redesignate I-515 as I-11. In addition, I-11 has been extended internally up to NV 157. I'm currently on the road, but I will make the change in TM later this week. I-515 will be deprecated, but it will remain a valid label. As of now, there are no imminent exit number changes, so I should be able to do this without breaking list files.

That being said, there's gonna be a little time required to change all of the exit and intersecting road waypoints to reflect that I-11 is the primary designation. Existing waypoint labels should be kept as alternates.

Practice on TM is to include unsigned interstates, so I plan to include the entire thing at this time despite no reported signs north/west of I-15. If signs aren't up yet, they will be soon, as NDOT plans to have the re-signing done this spring. AASHTO approved a while back.
The auto tour routes go north from Genoa NV on Jacks Valley Road (I think this was my bad for just saying SR 206).

Correct, that goes up Jacks Valley Road, which was historically SR 206. 206 was moved onto SR 758 east of Genoa in the 90s, with the former alignment north of Genoa relinquished. I can make the change if it hasn't been done already.

If we want to be really technical, the Pony Express Trail branches, with one branch following modern US 50 through the Tahoe basin. This branch to the lake has several signs on both sides of the state line and there were multiple Pony Express stations along this other route.  In CA, it generally follows US 50 to Folsom. The southern branch, currently mapped, follows CA 88 and CA 89 to rejoin. When I get home from my current trip, I can do some more research and map this out. It is definitely signed in California, though. Few of these other signed routes would add significant mileage to the HB, as they tend to be signed along existing routes.

There are also "Pony Express Auto Tour Route" signs on the CA 24 expressway in Contra Costa County, which I confirmed today from BART. Yes, the Pony Express usually ended in Folsom or Sacramento, but it continued overland to Oakland about 20 times, and this is acknowledged.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10