Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 228277 times)

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #525 on: April 28, 2021, 09:17:49 pm »
This past weekend, I did a trip out to Spokane to visit some friends and on the way there and back, I took the opportunity to field-check the historic routes of US 10 in Eastern Washington, clinching US10HistFre, and traveling part of US10HistRit (this one is going to need some changes) on the way to Spokane on Friday. Drove parts of WA 206 and WA 291 in the Spokane area.

On the way back Sunday afternoon, I went west on I-90 (exiting the freeway to clinch WA 902) and then turned around at Ritzville and drove most of the historic US 10 from Ritzville east to Sprague, and continued on that road until it got back to I-90. Then I clinched WA 904, which is also the historic US 10 through Cheney.

After that, I went west on US 2 all the way back through eastern Washington (much of which was new mileage for me) and over the Cascades, meaning that I've now clinched almost all of US 2 in Washington, except for a tiny little bit in Newport between the WA 20 intersection and the Idaho border.

I think this trip put me over 50% of mileage in Washington that I've now clinched. At least this is when I first noticed that I was over 50%....

Offline kjslaughter

• Last Login:March 21, 2024, 09:19:49 am
« Reply #526 on: May 03, 2021, 10:02:38 am »
Kicked off my next project to visit and photograph all the Alabama courthouses over a long weekend.  Started with SW corner of state going to lots of little towns in a triangle formed by Mobile, Montgomery and Meridian.  Hope to get some some more in June in western and NW corners of the state.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #527 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:31 pm »
Did my first daytrip in months (and first trip outside VT/NH in over a year) into the Adirondacks to fill in some gaps.  Should put me over 9K total mileage in New York.

And this may have been asked before (I'm sure it has on AARoads), but what is the point of NY 421?  I'm not really seeing a valid state purpose for that route.  Nevermind that the last few miles are signed "Rough Road" and that's putting it mildly...makes the dirt road I live on feel like brand new asphalt in comparison...

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:50:30 am
« Reply #528 on: May 07, 2021, 10:45:11 am »
Nevermind that the last few miles are signed "Rough Road" and that's putting it mildly...makes the dirt road I live on feel like brand new asphalt in comparison...

I remember seeing those signs on US 9 near I-87 Exit 30 a few years ago.  Are these signs common up there?

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #529 on: May 07, 2021, 12:34:28 pm »
Not common, but not unheard of either.  I've also seen them on county routes in Upstate New York.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #530 on: May 08, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »
Did my first daytrip in months (and first trip outside VT/NH in over a year) into the Adirondacks to fill in some gaps.  Should put me over 9K total mileage in New York.

And this may have been asked before (I'm sure it has on AARoads), but what is the point of NY 421?  I'm not really seeing a valid state purpose for that route.  Nevermind that the last few miles are signed "Rough Road" and that's putting it mildly...makes the dirt road I live on feel like brand new asphalt in comparison...

I believe the area on the end is or used to be some DEC site.  Still, not sure why it's a touring route rather than a reference route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline jayhawkco

• Last Login:February 05, 2024, 01:16:11 pm
« Reply #531 on: May 08, 2021, 11:08:38 pm »
Decided to check out a campsite in northern Colorado and then decided to bag some Wyoming highways.  Got WY12, WY210, WY211, WY212, WY213, WY214, WY215, WY216, WY219, WY222, WY225, WY313, NE L4A, and NE L53C clinched with some additional mileage on US30, NE71 and NE88.  Three new counties while I was at it. 

Chris

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #532 on: May 18, 2021, 07:08:14 pm »
I went on a trip Saturday that seemed to be more about Alternate Truck Routes than anything else, but I still finished all of the TM mileage in Chester and Delaware Counties, finished the four Atlantic City Corridors plus the routes around Atlantic City,and wondered what was up with the Variable Speed Limit System on I-76 lowering speed limits when there was no congestion.  Yes, I also clinched the future realignment of US 13 in Chester.

(Not including ALT TRUCK Routes below)
Clinched: PA 842, PA 926, NJ 168, Atlantic City Expressway, Atlantic City-Brigantine Connector, NJ 87, NJ 187, NJ 157, *NJ 143, US 30 (NJ), PA 420, PA 252, PA 282, **PA 241
New Mileage: US 9 (NJ), US 130 (NJ), PA 113

*Counting slight-clinch north of US 30 for now (created thread on this)
**Drove newly slightly realigned section of PA 241

Offline CharlotteAllisonCDTG

• Last Login:June 28, 2021, 06:49:02 am
  • Transgender Lesbian and Traveler
    • My Wikipedia User Page
« Reply #533 on: May 19, 2021, 02:57:48 pm »
I forgot to mention a trip I took about two weeks ago.

I currently live in the Augusta, Georgia area.  My ex-wife and her new guy live in Jacksonville, Florida.  We decided to meet in the Savannah, Georgia area (about a "halfway point").  On the way back, I clinched the entire length of GA 307 (which I had never been on before).  Then, I took a brief portion of GA 25 to the north.  After turning around, I clinched the north-south portion of GA 21 Alt. (Port Wentworth; which I had never been on before).  When, I reached the Sonny Dixon Interchange, I clinched the current entirety of the Jimmy DeLoach Parkway (from there to US 80/GA 17/GA 26).  As a side note, the parkway was signed as part of GA 17.  Then, I took US 80/GA 17/GA 26 to where GA 17 split off to travel through Bloomingdale.  I took GA 17 all the way to I-16.  Then, I backtracked my path back to the Sonny Dixon Interchange and clinched the rest of GA 21 Alt. (Port Wentworth).
Completely clinched:  I-24, I-35W (MN), I-97, I-124, I-126, I-155 (MO-TN), I-190 (SD), I-195 (MD), I-240 (NC), I-295 (FL), I-375 (MI), I-516, I-520, I-526, I-564, I-585, I-640, I-675 (GA), I-895A, US 178, US 276

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:March 20, 2024, 07:58:41 pm
« Reply #534 on: May 19, 2021, 06:09:25 pm »
It's been a couple of weeks now, but we took the scenic route on the way back from Nags Head, NC and clinched the rest of US 264.  For us, that was everything east of Pantego.  Growing up in Plymouth on US 64, we always took it as the more direct route.  US 264 is much more indirect.  While I may have been on parts of it when I was a little kid, I had never done that part before as an adult.  That, along with some criss-crossing between Greenville and Rocky Mount for NC 43 and some other misc pieces allowed us to pass 10,000 miles in our home state of North Carolina.  We are currently sitting at 4th in mileage, 3rd in routes, and with 4 clinched routes on the trip moved up to 4th on the clinched list.  We've really been filling in the roads nearby us over the last couple of years.

Mike

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2021, 08:34:08 am »
I returned Thursday of last week from my "Hugging Vaccinated Relatives" driving tour after they and I were fully vaccinated. The trip covered about 14,000 miles in about five weeks. This took me cross-country to a few days in California (sister and niece in southern California), and Minnesota on the return leg (aunt in the Minneapolis area). I didn't have time to work in visits to other relatives in Minnesota and South Dakota, who I'll try to see on a return trip there this summer.

Significant route clinches included:

-- US 84 overall, from Colorado to Georgia

-- US 150 overall, from Illinois to Kentucky

-- US 151 overall, from Iowa to Wisconsin

-- US 460 overall, from Kentucky to Virginia (ran out of daylight before I could drive two "future US 460" segments of KY 3174)

-- the King Coal Hwy. segment of US 52 in West Virginia, re-clinching US 52 overall

-- the newly-extended I-710 in Long Beach CA

-- extensions to the AZ 202 and AZ 303 freeway loops in Phoenix

-- Texas Loop 375, the recently-completed loop around El Paso

-- NM 6563 (highest route number in that state, numbered for the wavelength of a key hydrogen spectral line), the Sunspot Hwy. to the solar observatory in the mountains southeast of Alamogordo

US route re-clinches for US 6 (Sterling CO relocation), and US 212 and US 310 (relocations near Laurel MT), as well as possibly US 85 in El Paso if the construction northwest of downtown ever created a de-clinch in the first place.

I also clinched most of US 82, leaving only segments in Texarkana and eastern Texas for my next trip to that region. This trip also clinched ND 200 and MN 200, leaving uncovered only three MT 200 segments of the long multi-state route 200 between northern Idaho (I clinched that state's segment long ago) and northern Minnesota.

This trip added Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota to the states I've visited during the pandemic. My total is now 43 plus D.C., missing only Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

I added 55 counties to my "round 2" county count in the U.S. (counties revisited after I finished off the U.S. counties in July 2010). I made a point of visiting county seats where possible, though unlike kjslaughter I generally didn't photograph courthouses or other county government centers.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:21:43 pm by oscar »

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #536 on: May 24, 2021, 09:26:46 am »

Were you actually paying tolls on the tolled section now?

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #537 on: May 24, 2021, 09:49:42 am »

I haven't yet received a "pay by mail" bill. With only one trip on the TxTag system, and with Virginia plates, who knows whether I'll ever be billed?

I traveled more extensively on the Orange County CA toll road system. But unlike TX Loop 375, that system lets you make an online toll payment, before the threatened hammer comes down on you for non-payment.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:18:24 am
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #538 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:16 am »

I haven't yet received a "pay by mail" bill. With only one trip on the TxTag system, and with Virginia plates, who knows whether I'll ever be billed?

I traveled more extensively on the Orange County CA toll road system. But unlike TX Loop 375, that system lets you make an online toll payment, before the threatened hammer comes down on you for non-payment.

I drove some Austin-area toll roads in Jan 2019 with my Virginia plates and I did get a bill for it.  Florida has also done the same.

Still waiting on the bill for ETR 407 in Ontario (6 years later...guess I'm not getting one).

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #539 on: May 24, 2021, 11:24:21 am »

I drove some Austin-area toll roads in Jan 2019 with my Virginia plates and I did get a bill for it.  Florida has also done the same.

Still waiting on the bill for ETR 407 in Ontario (6 years later...guess I'm not getting one).

Oddly enough this happened to me on the US 40 Hatem Bridge back in December.  My EZPASS worked as normal on I-895 before that and the US 322 Commmodore Barry Bridge later that day.