User Discussions > Other Discussion

Trip planning/directions

<< < (2/5) > >>

mapcat:

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on December 24, 2022, 04:14:42 pm ---Here is a link to my notebook from my trip Tuesday to NC.

--- End quote ---

Good way to keep it all organized. How many notebooks have you filled so far?

osu-lsu:
I have my 2015 edition of the DeLormes street Atlas & GPS program I use to plot out my travels.
I just wish I had something more current than that (Delormes got bought out the following year)

michih:

--- Quote from: mapcat on December 24, 2022, 07:27:39 pm ---I have to write things down beforehand, since the directions are usually pretty complicated. I don't like taking notes while I'm on the trip, so I cross my fingers and hope all goes to plan. Any deviations get noted when necessary.
--- End quote ---

Me too. I made handwritten notices like you and added changes while driving - e.g. stopping anywhere along the route - but that was dangerous and annoying. I learned to plan the exact route on my PC prior to the trip. I plan with an offline map of my GPS. I usually enter 50 to 130 intermediate wps for a day trip. An exception was my latest trip in Turkey. I only had 30 intermediate wps for a 13-hours-driving day becaues it was mainly on freeways. That's rare meanwhile since I've already traveled most of Europe's main artery freeways. I always check mapview, GM and - if available - regional traffic info sites for finding the best route in terms of TM mileage and avoiding road closures. Thus, I have less to change during the trip and can simply enjoy the ride :) Nonetheless, I often face unexpected things like unexpected road closures or other detours, e.g. for having lunch. It's usually 1 to 3 changes per day I can keep in mind till I log it to my list file in the evening.

Markkos1992:

--- Quote from: mapcat on December 24, 2022, 07:31:23 pm ---
--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on December 24, 2022, 04:14:42 pm ---Here is a link to my notebook from my trip Tuesday to NC.

--- End quote ---

Good way to keep it all organized. How many notebooks have you filled so far?

--- End quote ---

At least a couple.  The idea was to use those for journaling, but that never quite happened.

froggie:
For those trips I "pre-plan", I'll type up a cue sheet in Notes on my iPhone, but I usually don't TAKE notes while on the trip.

And whether I pre-plan or am winging it, I also have my iPad open to TM in case I have to make changes on-the-fly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version