User Discussions > Other Discussion

Difference in Statistics -- December 2015 to December 2016

(1/3) > >>

Rothman:
I e-mailed Jim about this tonight and he told me to post it in the forum in case there isn't as simple an explanation as I thought there would have been (if you can follow that):

I was digging into a little history.  Last December, on the interstate highway system, according to the site, I had clinched 29,483 miles out of 49,827 (59%).  Added some mileage and lost I-164 mileage (since it doesn't exist anymore, I don't count it) since then -- checked all the .list files I submitted between then and now and definitely added mileage -- no log errors.  The site now says (nearly a year to the day) that I clinched 29,293 out of 48,570 (just over 60%).   So, somehow lost 190 miles and the interstate system lost over 1,200 miles, but I still have clinched more of it.

Anyone have any idea what happened here?  I was hoping it was just because kinks were working their way out of the calculating engine a year ago and things are more accurate now.

mapcat:
Check where on the site you're getting your stats; sometimes the totals are different. I think at some point the explanation was something about concurrencies not being taken into account.

Example: my interstate mileage on this page http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=mapcat:

--- Code: ---USA   usai   United States Interstate Highways   Tier 1   active   46028.20   49960.11   92.13%   Map   HB
--- End code ---

differs from my interstate mileage on this one http://tm.teresco.org/user/system.php?u=mapcat&sys=usai

--- Code: ---Miles Driven   44639.72 of 48570.06 mi (91.91%) Rank: 2

--- End code ---

yakra:
The first thing that comes to my mind is: Multiplexes.

If I-50 and I-60 are multiplexed together, all the point coordinates along their concurrency must match up perfectly, or else the concurrency will not be detected.
For every segment where the points aren't an exact match, the mileage will be counted twice.

I and others have been looking thru the data we maintain, making sure that things that *should* be concurrencies *are* counted as concurrencies, and making edits as needed. There's also been an effort among a few of us to clean up "near miss points", which should also fix broken concurrencies in the process.

This should reduce the mileage for the interstates a little bit, but not 1257 miles worth, especially when you take into account Future Interstates being upgraded to full Interstates & other new additions to the system.
On that note, mapcat's post hits the nail on the head. The difference between the mileage quoted on the two pages is 1390.05 mi, which puts us in just about the right ballpark. Add in some mileage for new additions to the system and subtract some mileage for fixing broken multiplexes, and I can easily see that putting us near 1257.

bejacob:

--- Quote from: mapcat on December 15, 2016, 01:34:43 am ---Check where on the site you're getting your stats; sometimes the totals are different. I think at some point the explanation was something about concurrencies not being taken into account.

--- End quote ---

It's one thing to be talking about differences between last year and this. It's another to be noting that different parts of the site show different numbers. The latter begs the questions, "which is the right number?"

My Traveler Stats page http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=bejacob has Interstate mileage of 32,137.42 in the Stats by System section. When I click on that section to go to the usai system http://tm.teresco.org/user/system.php?u=bejacob&sys=usai, the number is 30,912.19. That is the same as the number showing in my log file.

It should also be noted that the total mileage from the usai system drops from 49.960.11 to 48,750.06 between these two pages.

Given that the system specific stats and the log file match, it appears the overall Traveler Stats page is somehow pulling the wrong info. Cleaning up the data and double checking multiplexes aside, at any point in time, the site should be reporting the same data regardless of which part of the site one is viewing.

I admit, I tend to look more at the map pages and at the percentages, rather than the total mileage, so this is not one of my major concerns. It would be nice, however, to know that at any snapshot in time, each page will be displaying the same statistics.

mapcat:

--- Quote from: bejacob on December 15, 2016, 07:42:25 am ---It's one thing to be talking about differences between last year and this. It's another to be noting that different parts of the site show different numbers. The latter begs the questions, "which is the right number?"

--- End quote ---

I just meant that he may have collected his stats from one page last year and a different page this year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version