User Discussions > Other Discussion

Former Alignments

(1/2) > >>

CharlotteAllisonCDTG:
Will former alignments of highways be added to the project?  The main highway that I am thinking of is "GA GA223".  It currently extends from Thomson, Georgia to Augusta, Georgia, however, it's western terminus used to be farther to the west.  I have driven this entire former segment.

oscar:
Our general approach is not to include former alignments. One notable example, which caused some heartburn, was the short numbered English highway (A344?) that used to take you to a parking lot very close to Stonehenge. It got truncated, then completely decommissioned (now you have to take an official tour bus from the visitor centre to the site). That route was accordingly shortened in, then completely removed from, the Highway Browser, even though some of us had driven part or all of that route and liked having our England user maps show our drives to Stonehenge.

There is an early draft of a possible historic US routes system. But that is limited to former routes you can still drive, and where somebody has gone through the trouble of posting "Historic US 66" or similar signs.

Jim:
I support our current approach of maintaining current alignments.  I'm not sure we've really decided how the historical sets will  work.

CharlotteAllisonCDTG:
Thank you for replying.

I am also wondering about what will happen when a highway gets moved, as that would also fall under the "former alignments" heading.

Jim:
When a route moves to a new alignment (such as the opening of a new bypass) we update the route in TM and make an entry in the highway data updates so travelers can decide if they need to change anything.  In some cases, such as a new bypass route for a US highway, the old alignment remains in TM as a business route or as a state highway.  In other cases, the route ceases to exist from TM's perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version