User Discussions > How To?

Methodology for entering

(1/7) > >>

jwood.ok:
Hi all - brand new here.  I have a decent backlog of stuff I'd like to get entered.  Just got get an idea of how a .list file should look, I'm looking at some of your files on github.  My question is, are you expected to have a mostly completed .list file when I first send an email in, or can I just put one or two basic highways in for my initial upload?

Also, curious what methodology you all use?  Try to get all interstates entered first?  Go a state at a time?  Seems a bit overwhelming, so I want to make sure I do it whichever way will be easiest!

dfilpus:
Submit whatever you want.  Do what works for you. It can take a while to enter hundreds or even thousands of entries. Realize that you will make mistakes, such as typos or missed segments. Expect extra submits to fix errors. I still find errors in records I added years ago. Learn how to use the Highway Browser, your .log file and your stats page.

What order you enter data depends on how your records are organized. I did my .list file by entering a trip at a time. Since you need to get the data from the highway browser, you can get the waypoints for a segment of a highway and then click on the link to the connecting highway and keep going. If you have data organized by state, then do it a state at a time.

jwood.ok:

--- Quote from: dfilpus on April 08, 2018, 06:41:13 pm ---Submit whatever you want.  Do what works for you. It can take a while to enter hundreds or even thousands of entries. Realize that you will make mistakes, such as typos or missed segments. Expect extra submits to fix errors. I still find errors in records I added years ago. Learn how to use the Highway Browser, your .log file and your stats page.

What order you enter data depends on how your records are organized. I did my .list file by entering a trip at a time. Since you need to get the data from the highway browser, you can get the waypoints for a segment of a highway and then click on the link to the connecting highway and keep going. If you have data organized by state, then do it a state at a time.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I agree a trip at a time would probably be easiest.  In fact, it may be easiest to start with my most recent trip!  Lots of miles to log, so it sounds like the best thing is just get SOMETHING into the system  then do some reading up on the git method if submitting and just check on it as I go along.

Jim:
I'll emphasize that it's fine to submit list file updates as often as you'd like.  We have a good number of users who submit updates at least weekly, and it's no significant burden on me, and certainly no problem to handle for the site update process.

jwood.ok:
Thanks Jim!  I'm going working backward from my most recent trip.  Some of my longer trips will surely take many hours to enter, but i'll get there eventually.  It will also be interesting to try to put together the entries for my home state of Oklahoma!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version