User Discussions > Other Discussion

How do you consider a route to be travelled?

<< < (6/6)

yakra:

--- Quote from: formulanone on March 26, 2021, 09:44:32 am ---I count driving, biking, walking, and any other transportation where I can see the road but still be near to the ground.

--- End quote ---
USBR 1 is immediately parallel to much of ME US1 ME24 ME196. At times, it's a tiny bit away but still visible. Sometimes it diverts a bit farther away, through the trees, finally peeling away west of ME196. If you'd only traveled USBR 1, would you count US1 as traveled?

formulanone:

--- Quote from: yakra on March 26, 2021, 11:39:08 am ---
--- Quote from: formulanone on March 26, 2021, 09:44:32 am ---I count driving, biking, walking, and any other transportation where I can see the road but still be near to the ground.

--- End quote ---
USBR 1 is immediately parallel to much of ME US1 ME24 ME196. At times, it's a tiny bit away but still visible. Sometimes it diverts a bit farther away, through the trees, finally peeling away west of ME196. If you'd only traveled USBR 1, would you count US1 as traveled?

--- End quote ---

Pretty much. I'm not going to discount a clinch because you didn't see that road for a second or two. "Visual clinch" applies in cases where it's adjacent.

(I thought I was the only one who thinks of routes "peeling away/apart" from another.)

si404:

--- Quote from: mapcat on March 26, 2021, 08:57:06 am ---I've walked segments to clinch a route, but never walked an entire route.

That needs to happen somewhere in Kentucky on one of those quarter-mile-long routes.
--- End quote ---
Short helps, obviously, but what I find useful is sidewalks and low traffic speeds - ie in an urban area.

Having spent some time making a subset of my list for just walking, all of them (we'll ignore the A57 in the Peak District where I walked half a mile between two paths as I'm only counting segments as-mapped) have sidewalks and most have a 30mph or lower speed limit.

When the .list file gets processed I'll be able to see the longest route I've fully done on-foot. I'm pretty sure it's the A112 at 14.34 miles. That wasn't done in one go, but rather 3 or 4 trips that weren't exclusively about that one road. I don't believe I've ever been in a vehicle on it either.

And I may have done a segment in Indonesia in a rickshaw (I'm not certain of the route), just as another mode I've used.

--- Quote from: bhemphill on March 17, 2021, 01:25:52 pm --- I think those should be travel routes in systems to be added, although only really fast trains (175 mph or faster usual travel speed i.e. Eurostar, TGV, ICE, Shinkansen) because they have only a few fixed stops instead of every little whistle stop.
--- End quote ---
Yes - railways should be added. But why rule out all rail in North America, and an awful lot in other countries, with this HSR-only notion?

Having drafted the UK systems, most of the time the stops work as shaping points and even close together stations in dense city centres are a good 300 yrds apart as a minimum. The only 'little whistle stop' thing I've seen is the Manx Electric Railway - where it's basically a hail and ride tramway, with many stops unofficial ones that became official with the council putting a bus stop pole at the side of the rail. Anything that isn't tram always has stop spacing further apart than visible wpt spacing on nearby surface roads (both being a function of density - in city centres there's more points than in the countryside).

Plus, unlike with roads, it's easier to start with more local networks and then the intercity ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version