Author Topic: Traveler Statistics no Longer Working  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
  • Last Login:January 12, 2023, 02:02:21 pm
  • I want to be the first one to collect them all!
    • Travel Mapping User Page
Traveler Statistics no Longer Working
« on: June 17, 2016, 09:08:13 am »
Dear viewer,

If you are on the main site and want to check your traveler statistics, the screen won't load and you will get an error message(see screenshot below).

Thanks,
-The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... on the gas.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
Re: Traveler Statistics no Longer Working
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:25:38 am »
I think it works. Maybe you've tried while an update was running?
Please try again.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:40:03 am »
Yes, there are critical times during the site update process where the database is gone or only partially in place.  I'm sure there are good techniques that would minimize or eliminate that time or to issue a nicer error message while the DB is updating, but I haven't looked into it.  For now, if you see odd behavior, give it a few minutes and try again.  If problems persist for, say, 30 minutes, then let us know.

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:59:54 am »
Yes, there are critical times during the site update process where the database is gone or only partially in place.  I'm sure there are good techniques that would minimize or eliminate that time or to issue a nicer error message while the DB is updating, but I haven't looked into it.  For now, if you see odd behavior, give it a few minutes and try again.  If problems persist for, say, 30 minutes, then let us know.

Yes, you could probably set a table with just one field that indicates the update is in progress.  Set that to true right before wiping the database and false at the end of filling the database.  Then the pages could just check that flag table field and return "Update in progress please check back in XX minutes." if the update is in progress.  That would make it more apparent to the visitor that is what happened and could also give you an indication if there was some error that caused an update to not complete, although you probably see errors as it is already.  Not a high priority item for those who are familiar with the project or its predecessor, but maybe good for the new users.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
  • Last Login:January 12, 2023, 02:02:21 pm
  • I want to be the first one to collect them all!
    • Travel Mapping User Page
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 12:13:34 pm »
Thanks, it works now. Also, I'm not too good with technology, at least with websites and such, so I apologize if I post things like something not working when it would end up working.

Thanks,
-The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... on the gas.