Author Topic: SD: Sioux Falls Area Updates/Point Requests/Miscellanea  (Read 821 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
SD: Sioux Falls Area Updates/Point Requests/Miscellanea
« on: October 30, 2022, 09:25:46 pm »
So I've recently moved to the Sioux Falls area (yes, boo, wrong side of the state unfortunately) and there's some point name quirks/route quirks I figured I'd bring up. Sorry if the post is long.

Signage/Maintenance Mismatches:
This may have been brought up before, but SD 42 and SD 115 technically end at Sioux Falls city limits, since DOT and the City have a maintenance agreement. However, signage in town remains and in some places has been replaced, so in my opinion (and apparently the City's but not DOT's), the routes still go through Sioux Falls. The business routes, like many in SD, have always been city-signed, and signage for 29 BS and 229 BL is pretty good for an SD business route. 90 BS, however, had its signage taken down when I was 7 if I remember right (if there was any signage in the first place!), so that should probably go out from the HB.

Veterans Parkway/SD 100:
This beltway is still under construction, and I don't know if it will ever be signed as SD 100. The planning documents for a lot of different organizations (Lincoln County, Minnehaha County, some development pages) list it as such, but when I contacted the South Veterans Parkway website, they said it would just be signed as "Veterans Parkway". The consulting firm where I work is involved with this project, so I'll try to wrangle one of the transpo guys and ask about the signage.

Point name issues/additions:
The main problem here is both Lincoln and Minnehaha County use county road numbers as a maintenance indication, not as a cohesive route number. For instance, Rice St/Holly Blvd between I-229 and SD 11 used to be CR 140, but as both Sioux Falls and Brandon grew the only parts that are still technically CR 140 and signed as such are between Veterans and Arbor Ridge and between Sandstone and the Big Sioux. These will be listed by route.

SD 11:
MadSt is signed as CR 142
CR 138 isn't signed in Brandon, point would be AspBlvd
Could add a point at Sioux Blvd for the BSRA, lots of campers go that way
CR 113 should be moved to the curve and be CR122
Recommend adding a point at 485th Ave for Splitrock State Park, the only reason to visit Garretson
CR 122 isn't signed in Garretson, point would be DowsSt

SD 42:
483rd Ave is CR 111
463rd Ave is CR 151

SD 115:
Point request at 69th St because I took my daughter to that Subway
Between I-229 and downtown, I would recommend using 41st and 26th instead of 33rd and 18th
CR 129 not signed in Dell Rapids, intersecting road names are Highway 77 and 4th St

SD 44:
CR 105 not signed in Lennox, intersecting roads are 466th Ave and 279th St

US 18:
CR 135 not signed in Canton, affects both points
CR 135_S would be CedSt
CR 135_N would be DakSt

SD 38:
463rd Ave is CR 151 (and signed!)
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
Re: SD: Sioux Falls Area Updates/Point Requests/Miscellanea
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:47:07 pm »
Also I-29 is missing Exit 80, and there'll be a new Exit 74 being built at 85th St next year.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 12:16:41 am »
The issue of SD 42 and SD 115 has been brought up before, and they are staying as is. Will issue a kill order for BS I-90.

SD 11: MadSt is signed as CR 142
There is a street sign here labeling it Madison. I think it is fine.

CR 113 should be moved to the curve and be CR122
Recommend adding a point at 485th Ave for Splitrock State Park, the only reason to visit Garretson
CR 122 isn't signed in Garretson, point would be DowsSt
CR122 is in use, so if I don’t square off the intersection, it’ll have to be CR122_W with CR122 as a hidden name for DowsSt.

SD 42: 483rd Ave is CR 111 463rd Ave is CR 151
Of course 463rd is one of the points in use.

SD 115: points added

SD 44: CR 105 not signed in Lennox, intersecting roads are 466th Ave and 279th St
Doesn’t look like there’s a city street name there either. But now I have two demotions for that point, formerly SD 17.

US 18: CR 135 not signed in Canton, affects both points
Both are in use. I’m not sure I’m on board with having to rename them, but I’ll change.

SD 38: 463rd Ave is CR 151 (and signed!)
done

Also I-29 is missing Exit 80, and there'll be a new Exit 74 being built at 85th St next year.
It took me a minute to find the location in your latter reference, and it looks like it's a gravel-to-arterial suburban expansion construction thing. It looks quite close to the I-229 exit, especially that ramp to SB I-29.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 10:20:25 pm »
The issue of SD 42 and SD 115 has been brought up before, and they are staying as is. Will issue a kill order for BS I-90.
I agree with you there, was just bringing it up again just in case someone decided to advocate for truncation (how do you truncate a route with an always-changing invisible endpoint).

It took me a minute to find the location in your latter reference, and it looks like it's a gravel-to-arterial suburban expansion construction thing. It looks quite close to the I-229 exit, especially that ramp to SB I-29.
I'll split this off into a 6-Month+ thread, included it and Exit 80 in after I finished the original post. There'll actually be an "Exit 0" from the 229 SB to 29 SB ramp, but it shouldn't warrant a point (something similar was reached with I-270 "Exit 5" in Colorado).

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 09:18:38 am »
In the latest site update, it looks like the east end of SD 38 has been truncated from I-29 to Marnon Rd. But there's no Updates table entry. Was this truncation intentional? If so, there should be an Updates entry.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 10:18:50 am »
In the latest site update, it looks like the east end of SD 38 has been truncated from I-29 to Marnon Rd. But there's no Updates table entry. Was this truncation intentional? If so, there should be an Updates entry.

I'm not familiar with the details here, but is this a case where it would also make sense to keep I-29 as an alt label to preserve people's clinches?

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 08:43:21 pm »

I'm not familiar with the details here, but is this a case where it would also make sense to keep I-29 as an alt label to preserve people's clinches?
That's another case of SDDOT sharing maintenance with Sioux Falls that I didn't mention and should remain as it was before this update. I go to the Walmart out there all the time and there's still lots of "38 WEST" signage at Exit 83. 38 is also still signed from I-29.

With all the state highways in Sioux Falls, I'll let y'all know if SDDOT/the City decide the signage on the ground should match the maintenance, but at this point they all (11, 38, 42, and 115) are still signed along the alignments that were there before Sioux Falls took over maintenance and there are no END signs whatsoever (even for 38, which is kind of confusing).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 08:47:23 pm by the_spui_ninja »

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 11:41:05 pm »

Huh. I didn't touch the end while working on this. It must have been a change I made long ago. I have no issue with re-extending it to I-29.