Author Topic: WA: Some SR 522 waypoints need updating  (Read 2908 times)

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 01, 2024, 02:37:22 am
WA: Some SR 522 waypoints need updating
« on: September 23, 2016, 06:11:10 pm »
The following two waypoints on SR 522 are in the wrong place and need to be updated: BotWay and WooDr. If you look at the route in the highway browser, I think you'll understand what I'm talking about. The BotWay one needs to be moved south a block (SR 522 was realigned a few years ago) and the one for WooDr needs to be moved a little ways southeast so that it is actually positioned on the intersection with Woodinville Drive/ Campus Way NE.

Also, this is sort of unrelated, but I've noticed that there are two waypoints (135thSt and 65thAve) on this route that are on intersections with minor side streets when they would be better placed IMO on arterial roads nearby. I've also noticed this issue on several other highways in WA state. Is there a reason why there are waypoints placed on side streets rather than arterials? I mean, if we're going to have a limited amount of waypoints, they should at least be placed on arterials only because people are going to be more likely to turn off the highway on another arterial then they are onto some dinky little side street.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:10:34 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
WA: Some SR 522 waypoints need updating
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 07:36:17 pm »
Also, this is sort of unrelated, but I've noticed that there are two waypoints (135thSt and 65thAve) on this route that are on intersections with minor side streets when they would be better placed IMO on arterial roads nearby. I've also noticed this issue on several other highways in WA state. Is there a reason why there are waypoints placed on side streets rather than arterials? I mean, if we're going to have a limited amount of waypoints, they should at least be placed on arterials only because people are going to be more likely to turn off the highway on another arterial then they are onto some dinky little side street.

Both 135thSt and 65thAve may be there to "shape" TM's trace of WA522 to reasonably match the route's actual path. If either point were to be moved to a more major intersection, another point might have to be added someplace else to adequatelly shape the route, so you'd end up with more waypoints. That's not always a bad thing, but sometimes it just unduly clutters up the route file.

i'm not maintaining WA route files (nor is anyone else at the moment, though some of us jump in to make major changes, such as to add missing routes in the Spokane area. Nor did I draft those route files. But thanks for bringing these points, and others elsewhere in WA, to our attention.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
Re: WA: Some SR 522 waypoints need updating
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 09:21:51 pm »
i'm not maintaining WA route files (nor is anyone else at the moment, though some of us jump in to make major changes, such as to add missing routes in the Spokane area. Nor did I draft those route files. But thanks for bringing these points, and others elsewhere in WA, to our attention.

Considering that this hasn't been updated yet, I would like to volunteer to maintain the highways in WA state. I've looked at the code in Github and you'd have to be an idiot not to understand it, and this is coming from someone with not much computer programming experience. So I feel that it wouldn't take much work for me maintain WA state highways.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:17 pm »
michih just recently took on maintenance of WA.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 01:50:18 am »

Okay, good to know.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:14:55 am
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:13:43 pm »

Nope, I didn't!

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 10:37:03 am »
 :-[
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 08:46:42 pm »
I have just submitted my first pull request to make these changes: https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/948

Thanks Jim for getting me started on this!!