Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other Discussion / Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Last post by Markkos1992 on Today at 04:06:29 pm »
While I tried hard to avoid bad weather in the Midwest, I overlooked the torrential rains and thunderstorms awaiting me back home late yesterday evening. That made the last 30 miles of my trip really slow and unpleasant.

Yeah, that affected me and the other road enthusiasts that met up with corco and his wife at the Nats game yesterday.  Thankfully no weather issues during the game itself.  However, it literally started raining on me the moment I walked out of the Shady Grove Metro Station around 8 PM so I sheltered at the Royal Farms on Watkins Mill Rd (eventually should be signed as MD 114).
« Last post by oscar on Today at 03:59:55 pm »
Just got back home from a ~two-week road trip to Minneapolis, for an aunt's memorial service. The outbound trip was three relaxed driving days, on already-traveled Interstates, though I did work in a clinch of short WI 312 in Eau Claire.

After the service, I drove to southern Iowa, to clinch IA 92 Business (Knoxviile) and IA 1. The latter long frustrated me, hung up by a long construction closure of a one-mile segment in Fairfield. That was supposed to be done by May 31, but the project was completed ahead of schedule, perhaps to provide a detour for work on Business 34 in Fairfield, which I had already clinched. I also clinched IA 122 in Mason City, and closed up some gaps in other northern Iowa routes.

From there, I continued to an outer suburb of St. Louis, to dodge bad weather forecast for Iowa. Good thing, Iowa got whacked hard after I left, while northern Missouri was in the forecast tornado danger zone but wound up almost completely unscathed while I was out there. In northern Missouri, I focused on re-clinching counties, in the only lower-48 state where I've not re-clinched all the counties after I completed all the U.S. counties in 2010. I'm still missing some counties in southern Missouri, which I plan to cover in a separate trip. Aside from the county re-clinches, I clinched US 136 Business in Memphis (MO), US 36 Business in Monroe City, and MO 168.

From Missouri, a three-day mostly-Interstate return trip home. While I tried hard to avoid bad weather in the Midwest, I overlooked the torrential rains and thunderstorms awaiting me back home late yesterday evening. That made the last 30 miles of my trip really slow and unpleasant.
« Last post by Markkos1992 on Today at 12:07:56 pm »
I guess I did clinch a new state route (OH 702) without even realizing it.
Other Discussion / Re: Mileage Issues
« Last post by Markkos1992 on Today at 11:57:39 am »
Railways do still need an update to bring mileage back…

Thank you for catching that.  I actually need to update my list file there due to myself clinching some DC Metro Mileage yesterday going to/from the Nats game corco invited myself and some other northeast road enthusiasts to.
The appearance of usatr as an Easter Egg, now back to devel and hopefully back on to preview some time soon got me thinking about this system again, which has been sitting in preview for over 6 1/2 years.  What are we waiting to have happen before we can activate?  Will those things really necessary and will they ever happen?  I don't think a perpetual preview status is fair to users who would probably like updates entries to keep their travels accurate as things change in a system that have been tracking for years now.
It needs another pass over to make sure its accurate (Iowa, for instance, is rolling out US6His and US20His signs now), and then a full review (as opposed to the hodge podge)

It also needs the custom stats functionality - a lot of people didn't want these routes mucking up their stats.

There's also the issue that some maintainers aren't interested in maintaining these routes in their states - fair enough, but it is another thing to deal with!
The appearance of usatr as an Easter Egg, now back to devel and hopefully back on to preview some time soon got me thinking about this system again, which has been sitting in preview for over 6 1/2 years.  What are we waiting to have happen before we can activate?  Are those things really necessary and will they ever happen?  I don't think a perpetual preview status is fair to users who would probably like updates entries to keep their travels accurate as things change in a system that they have been tracking for years now.
(Mistakenly posted this in the Amtrak thread over on the railways side, but it was meant for this one.)

It seems to me there was plenty of interest to justify those who'd like to see this move forward to continue discussion/refinement/corrections to get it ready for real preview and eventual activation.  I know there was also some grumbling about losing 100% clinches, but as long as the project is still expanding in scope, this is going to happen once in a while.
Updates to Highway Data / ZAF: Assorted issues with national highways
« Last post by shiggins on Yesterday at 08:05:33 pm »
N1:
VanRieSt: Should be R323.
N1 has been rerouted onto a new bypass around Musina.
N2:
R56_W: A new interchange has been built, so the point will have to moved.
IanWooSt: Should be MthByp.
N4Sch:
Geo: Should be Goe.
N9:
The R56 point is centered on the overpass, not the single access road between the two routes.
N11:
R517: It seems R542 has been extended along what OSM labels as R517 between N11 and Breyten. If we consider this an unsigned concurrency, then the point should be R542_E.
N14:
The point R372 does not seem to be R372. While the RDDA says R372 ends at N14 in Kagung, it is instead signed from R31. The sign on N14 which previously existed at this point did not mention R372.
R80:
N4: Numbered as exit 272, albeit using N4’s exit numbering.
R81:
+X290965: Could be replaced by a visible point at D4019.
R81 leaves the red lines on the waypoint editor between Dik and Mun.
+X511491: Could be replaced by a visible point at this road signed for Mooifontein.
D3206: OSM says this is D11.
Giy: Should be MainRd.
D4/D10: OSM only has D4/D10. The only “name” signed at the intersection is “Southern Entrance.”
R82:
M68: Numbered as exit 1. This implies that M1 continues south to M68 and R82 begins here, not at N12, since exit numbers throughout Gauteng count up from the south. The southbound overhead sign at N12 has R82 in parentheses, contradicting what we currently have in TM.
ConAve: Should be ConRd.
R554: Should be R554_N.
R550: Should be R550/R554.
Missing a point at R550_S.
R557_W: Is not R557. Should be AloeRidDr.
R558: Should be R557_W.
Vil: Should be AscVaalRd.
This road signed for Wolwehoek and Heilbron may meet the bare minimum definition of an interchange.

This concludes my peer review (except for R76, which is not in a review-worthy state yet).

If you’ve been reading these posts as I’ve been posting them, please note that I belatedly noticed several omissions and errors in my peer review, and I have gone back and added to or modified some of my posts. I have marked these modifications with the word Edit in bold or with a strikethrough.

I did not make a comment everywhere I could not verify using GSV that a point name was correct. This departed from Duke87’s methodology reviewing zafn, but – given the often bad and worsening state of signage in many areas of South Africa – I do not think that a lack of signage for many D roads, P roads, S roads, etc., necessarily indicates that leaving these roads unsigned is intentional. I came across many, many instances where these roads were signed c. 2010 and unsigned c. 2023, and several long stretches of highway in Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, and Limpopo where new signs had been installed at all the DR roads, D roads, P roads, L roads, etc., where there had been a complete absence of signage in 2010.
Other Discussion / Re: Mileage Issues
« Last post by Jim on Yesterday at 02:44:21 pm »
Railways do still need an update to bring mileage back…

Done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10