Author Topic: NM: US64Bus Farmington Should Be Truck? (Perhaps Not)  (Read 1309 times)

Offline jayhawkco

• Last Login:February 05, 2024, 01:16:11 pm
NM: US64Bus Farmington Should Be Truck? (Perhaps Not)
« on: June 05, 2021, 10:59:17 pm »
I'll investigate more in the morning, but I'm staying the night in Farmington tonight and every sign I've seen for the auxiliary US64 had Truck on the sign.  I'll try to snap a pic when I leave town.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 03:28:13 pm by jayhawkco »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:33:27 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: NM: US64Bus Farmington Should Be Truck
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:59:37 pm »
I drove through Farmington, from east to west, last year. I recall that the signs at the eastern end of what we map as Business US 64 through downtown identify that route as Business US 64, and the road carrying US 64 traffic around downtown to the south as Bypass US 64. Usually, where there is both a business and bypass US route, we treat the bypass as the mainline, unless like in Elizabeth City NC we have three routes through the city (business, unbannered mainline, and bypass) in which case the unbannered route is treated as the mainline.

Let's see what your photos show, especially at both junctions of the business and bypass routes.

Offline jayhawkco

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 12:31:58 am »
Yeah.  I think at least something has changed.  I GSV'ed my route from the hotel to where I had dinner and I didn't see any signs like I saw tonight.  Green background, directional specifically to TRUCK US64.  I'll get some photos tomorrow and try to make it to the eastern split.

Chris

Offline jayhawkco

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:37:47 am »
So it looks like it miiiight just be a construction bypass.  Both splits are signed as Business, and westbound there are probably 7-8 signs saying Truck on San Juan, Scott, Broadway, and Main, but eastbound there's nothing.  I'm typing this from my phone, but will post pictures when I get to a computer.  I think it's probably accurate enough in TM.

Chris

Offline jayhawkco

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 09:47:46 am »
Pics.

Chris

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 12:16:47 pm »
So what became of this signage from the US 64 mainline (GMSV May 2019)?

US 64 WB, at junction of Murray Dr. (part of US 64 mainline) and Broadway (what the sign says is US 64 Business):

https://goo.gl/maps/YFqSydutaD2NLiRa8

US 64 EB, at junction of Murray Dr. and Main St. (what the sign says is US 64 Business):

https://goo.gl/maps/AqFAbnL8K9PHsMaW7

Also, see this post on the AARoads forum, stating that part of Main Street that is not part of US 64 Bus in TM was closed to trucks, and indicating that the Truck US 64 signs (a) were erected by the city rather than NMDOT, (b) to steer trucks to a detour around the no-trucks section of Main St. (the detour could be on part of Broadway/US 64 Bus, which AFAIK doesn't have a truck restriction). That squares with what you said above, that the Truck US 64 signage is on or near the middle part of US 64 Business, but not all of it.

Offline jayhawkco

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 03:27:33 pm »
So what became of this signage from the US 64 mainline (GMSV May 2019)?

US 64 WB, at junction of Murray Dr. (part of US 64 mainline) and Broadway (what the sign says is US 64 Business):

https://goo.gl/maps/YFqSydutaD2NLiRa8

US 64 EB, at junction of Murray Dr. and Main St. (what the sign says is US 64 Business):

https://goo.gl/maps/AqFAbnL8K9PHsMaW7

Those are both still there, which is what I was referencing when I said the ends were still signed Business.

Also, see this post on the AARoads forum, stating that part of Main Street that is not part of US 64 Bus in TM was closed to trucks, and indicating that the Truck US 64 signs (a) were erected by the city rather than NMDOT, (b) to steer trucks to a detour around the no-trucks section of Main St. (the detour could be on part of Broadway/US 64 Bus, which AFAIK doesn't have a truck restriction). That squares with what you said above, that the Truck US 64 signage is on or near the middle part of US 64 Business, but not all of it.

Not seeing a link to AARoads, but that all makes sense.  Unless I missed it, I didn't see a single 64 Business reassurance marker on the entire length of what I drove.  I only saw the Truck signs, and I saw nothing at all going East.

Chris

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 04:33:41 pm »

Not seeing a link to AARoads, but that all makes sense.  Unless I missed it, I didn't see a single 64 Business reassurance marker on the entire length of what I drove.  I only saw the Truck signs, and I saw nothing at all going East.

Oops, here's the link.

The lack of 64 Business reassurance markers, for such a short and uncomplicated route, is unsurprising. The junction signs at both ends are enough to point through travelers on the US 64 mainline to downtown businesses, and it's not hard for them to get back to the mainline.

I see no need to do anything here. The locally-designated truck detour seems to be concurrent with part of the state-designated (but not -maintained) business route already in TM. Adding it to the HB would add clutter, but no mileage, to the system.

Offline jayhawkco

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 04:54:32 pm »

Oops, here's the link.

The lack of 64 Business reassurance markers, for such a short and uncomplicated route, is unsurprising. The junction signs at both ends are enough to point through travelers on the US 64 mainline to downtown businesses, and it's not hard for them to get back to the mainline.

I see no need to do anything here. The locally-designated truck detour seems to be concurrent with part of the state-designated (but not -maintained) business route already in TM. Adding it to the HB would add clutter, but no mileage, to the system.

I agree after having read the clarification.

Chris