User Discussions > Other Discussion

Querying TM data to get lists of route numbers

(1/2) > >>

Eiddderf:
Over at the AARoads Wiki we have gone back and forth on how we want to recreate lists of highways like List of highways numbered 1 that are still on Wikipedia.  Do we import like we've done with most other content or do we start from scratch?  Someone, I think Scott5114, asked about using TM to populate the lists.  Now, the lists wouldn't be dynamic or anything, but it would give us really good base to start from.  The trouble is, we don't really know how to get this data.  All we'd really need is the ability to find the country, state/province, and route type (Interstate, U.S. Highway, state highway, county road, etc.) for every route number.  I guess in the parlance of this site, being able to find the usaia.ia.ia136 of route data by searching the usaia.ia.ia136 part.  Any help or direction is appreciated.

Jim:
I have a few thoughts on this but I'm headed out for the day now.  If I don't post here within a week or so feel free to bump the topic so I can take a look.  Basically there are the .csv files in the TM repository that could be parsed or appropriate queries could be run on the TM database.

si404:
A scan of the AA roads wiki would be better to have as a base (at least for North America) - there's lots of road lists there that you can just pull an entire entry from. Plus the wiki has future/former/unsigned/unbuilt routes listed, whereas we do not.

However a scan of TM would be a useful further foundation to build the list from.

Wegenwiki.nl is a further possible source for gleaning stuff.

michih:
I didn't find an appropiate log under https://travelmapping.net/logs/ but https://travelmapping.net/hb/findroute.php might help albeit it is just scanning for substrings, i.e. if you filter for "1" you'd also get "10", "11" etc.

I'm quite sure that there will be a simple way with some coding, e.g. like findroute.php but searching for full string while omitting alphabetic characters. However, only @Jim and @yakra are familar with the code.

Eiddderf:

--- Quote from: si404 on January 15, 2024, 07:25:02 am ---Plus the wiki has future/former/unsigned/unbuilt routes listed, whereas we do not.

--- End quote ---
Yeah we're just looking for a good base.  We know the enwiki lists are incomplete, too, but not to what degree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version