Author Topic: Prince Edward Island outlook  (Read 6173 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Prince Edward Island outlook
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:27:05 pm »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
Re: Prince Edward Island outlook
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:55:09 pm »
^ The roundabout mentioned is at the TCH & PEI 248.  Google Maps imagery shows both it and the initial leg of bypass construction pointing westward from the roundabout.

I found and looked at the EIS and it's...interesting.  They're effectively building the bypass as a freeway segment.  There will be two interchanges...a diamond at Cornwall Rd and a trumpet at the southwest end near Clyde River.  The other three intersecting roads will be bridged.  This, in effect, will be PEI's first freeway segment and only their 2nd and 3rd interchanges...the existing TCH-1/PEI 1A junction is a trumpet, the only other interchange on the island.

The EIS says the roadway will be between 2 and 4 lanes.  None of the maps specify where the transition will be so it's hard to say whether and where it will be a full 4-lane freeway segment or a Super-2.  The EIS, unforunately, also makes zero mention of any route number changes as a result of the bypass.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 11:33:25 am »
^ This, plus the Regina Bypass in Saskatchewan (forthcoming relocation of part of TCH Main), and last month's TCHKir relocation in Rouyn-Noranda QC (picked up in si404's canqc peer review, pull request forthcoming), undoes my clinch of the TCH system in three places scattered across three different time zones. Might be a little hard for me to travel all three this year, before winter rolls in.

Other local press coverage I've seen, about Cornwall delighted to get back its Main Street, implies PEI's TCH segment will move to the new bypass.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:36:46 am by oscar »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 06:25:08 pm »
I wonder if any numerical designations will be extended along the old route...

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 06:50:39 pm »
CBC reports (in kind of an afterthought to an article on a new school entrance in Cornwall) that the Cornwall Bypass is planned to open 7am Monday, October 21.

FWIW, the HERE online map in the HB shows the Cornwall Bypass as part of the TCH, with the old route renamed Main St.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 07:46:59 pm »
PE 19, 247, 248, and 265 will need point relabelings at minimum.
WRT any route number changes I'll have to wait till that info is available and see.