Author Topic: NY: Binghamton, NY, Area Potential Minor Point Concerns  (Read 2047 times)

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:40:33 am
NY: Binghamton, NY, Area Potential Minor Point Concerns
« on: July 22, 2020, 06:29:31 pm »
US 11:
1.    Note that many of the points should probably be recentered.
2.   I am unsure if CedRd is correct.
3.   The I-81 line crosses US 11 at Trim St.
4.   The shaping point between ColRd and BroAve may be unnecessary.
5.   Points at Bevier St and Smith Hill Rd would get the line off of I-81 itself.

NY 7:
1.   I am unsure if CedRd is correct.
2.   I will have to give you the benefit of the doubt on ConKirBri.
3.   StClaAve should be HolPl (Holmes Place).
4.   ConAve could arguably be ConAve_W.
5.   Are points necessary at Bevier St and the Hillcrest Service Roads interchanges?

NY 363: I know that I do not see a SanSt in the area.

NY 434: 
1.   NJenRd should just be JenRd.
2.   I think VesPkwy should be ConAve (Conklin Ave).

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:45:36 am
Re: NY: Binghamton, NY, Area Potential Minor Point Concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 11:39:00 pm »
US 11:

NYSDOT shapefiles call it Cedarhurst Rd between NY 7 and I-81.  There are also a couple signs along the roadway showing such, including at the end of the NB 81 offramp.
(Also applies to the NY 7 point)

IMO, it shows the route as not going into the middle of the river.

5.   Points at Bevier St and Smith Hill Rd would get the line off of I-81 itself.

I would concur with Bevier St, also because Bevier is one of only a handful of bridges across the Chenango River in the area.

NY 7:

Here, the shapefiles call it Conklin-Kirkwood Rd (as opposed to Bridge).

Both also need to be recentered, especially the latter.

5.   Are points necessary at Bevier St and the Hillcrest Service Roads interchanges?

They're both interchanges along a limited-access segment of NY 7, so I would yes there should be points.  One could also argue that the latter should be labeled PheSt as it's effectively a 3/4 interchange at Phelps St.

Not sure if that should be labeled for Carroll St or North Shore Dr.

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:40:33 am
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:04:44 am »

NY 7:

I meant to type ConKirRd there.

They're both interchanges along a limited-access segment of NY 7, so I would yes there should be points.  One could also argue that the latter should be labeled PheSt as it's effectively a 3/4 interchange at Phelps St.

I was unsure if yakra was considering these as one point per interchange.

As a note, I posted a lot of these comments expecting yakra to potentially go no-build on a lot of them.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:30:39 pm »
US 11:
1.   Note that many of the points should probably be recentered.
Most points from NY7 southward recentered
intersecting routes

Repositioned to the quadrant road. As for the label...
NYSDOT shapefiles call it Cedarhurst Rd between NY 7 and I-81.  There are also a couple signs along the roadway showing such, including at the end of the NB 81 offramp.
Froggie, what files do you have? I'm using MilepointRoute2015, which appears to no longer be available at the link on the credits page.
These files show Cedarhurst Rd from the W edge of the I-81(1) diamond eastward. West of there, it's shown as Conklin-Kirkwood Rd. However, the ramp has an RIS_NAME of "Rt11 to Cedarhurst rd".
Not really coming up with anything more definitive, I'll go no-build for now.
This brings me to the other road OSM calls "Conklin Kirkwood Rd", which has a point on NY7. We'll get to this below...

3.   The I-81 line crosses US 11 at Trim St.
Normally not a big priority for me, but here the I-81 trace crosses the US11 trace (even after recentering TrimSt). What the hey, added a shaper to I-81.

Removed.

Added both. Considered a point near Broome Community College, but SmiHillRd keeps the US11 trace farther away from I-81 at the I-88 interchange.
Bevier is one of only a handful of bridges across the Chenango River in the area.
There's also the "connects to an interchange on a parallel highway" factor.

NY 7:
2.   I will have to give you the benefit of the doubt on ConKir[Rd].
I mentioned this briefly above. My shapefiles disagree with Froggie's; I have "Colesville Rd E". I don't see any signage in the field other than a CR177 marker. Relabeled. I've been converting to CR## style labels elsewhere around the state where pentagon markers are used.

This brings us back to...
NY 7:
1.   I am unsure if CedRd is correct.
CR20 is pretty clearly signed. So, using the CR20 label would both be consistent with what I'm doing elsewhere, and neatly sidestep the Cedarhurst / Conklin-Kirkwood issue.

Relabeled & recentered.

Added both.

One could also argue that the latter should be labeled PheSt
Using the PheSt label, signage notwithstanding.

as it's effectively a 3/4 interchange at Phelps St.
*glares at NYSDOT*

Relabeled CarSt and recentered.

Zoinks, I see what you mean! Grumble...

NY 434: 
1.   NJenRd should just be JenRd.
Relabeled.

2.   I think VesPkwy should be ConAve (Conklin Ave).
Going with TreAve instead.

Changes are in working directory. No commit yet.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:54:00 pm by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:45:36 am
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 10:14:19 pm »
Froggie, what files do you have? I'm using MilepointRoute2015, which appears to no longer be available at the link on the credits page.
These files show Cedarhurst Rd from the W edge of the I-81(1) diamond eastward. West of there, it's shown as Conklin-Kirkwood Rd. However, the ramp has an RIS_NAME of "Rt11 to Cedarhurst rd".
Not really coming up with anything more definitive, I'll go no-build for now.

What I initially looked at was the 2016 version of the Simplified Streets shapefile from the NYS GIS clearinghouse.  That said, I downloaded the latest 2020 version (it's updated quarterly), which now only shows Cedarhurst east of the quadrant road connection to US 11 and shows the remainder to NY 7 as "Conklin-Kirkwood Bridge".  I think your CR20 idea that you described may be a better fit for both NY 7 and US 11.

I mentioned this briefly above. My shapefiles disagree with Froggie's; I have "Colesville Rd E". I don't see any signage in the field other than a CR177 marker. Relabeled. I've been converting to CR## style labels elsewhere around the state where pentagon markers are used.

Meanwhile, at this location, the 2020 shapefiles label this as Colesville Rd Extension.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 11:54:02 pm »
From its positioning, I kinda wonder if it was intended to serve the old Rockbottom Bridge...
Though even that looks like it would be named Rockbottom Street.
Whatever the case, Google may have been showing us some goofy street names back in ~2009...

Relabeled CarSt and recentered.
Recentered here specifically. I did this before I saw...
Zoinks, I see what you mean! Grumble...
...what the actual NB alignment is -- what OSM calls Brandywine Hwy. So, down by the Exchange St overpass, NY363 traffic drives on the left.

Why don't I just overthink the crap out of the situation?
North Shore Dr is the more major road here, and it makes sense to use that for a label.
Except that it exposes a particularly annoying part of the manual, and including/abbreviating cardinal directions in street names.
This makes CarSt a somewhat more attractive label.
The point where the NB & SB alignments cross (which I'd say counts as center line!) neatly corresponds to the Carroll St onramp, so there's that.
OTOH...
Add in the Susquehanna St offramp, and we have a bit of a functional half-diamond, to/from the north.
Thinking about these from a 1PPI standpoint, they average out to about where North Shore Dr merges in.
Plus, this works better from a shaping perspective.
With a point at the North Shore merge, the more major road, it makes sense to use that label and just deal with the annoyance.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++